What motivates you to shoot?

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I was wondering what motivates you guys to shoot your bow. I have been a bow hunter off and on for 25+ years, but I've never considered myself a really good archer. I don't find shooting my bow all that entertaing, I find it to be a chore, like exercise. Are there any other bow here hunters that struggle with this? I know I could be a better shot if I practiced more, I just don't care to spend hours shooting when have other things that I like rather do. I feel confident out to 30 yards, so that how I hunt. I often think I should extend my comfort zone to increase opportunity, but I just can't seem to find the joy in shooting. I am going to be hunting an area I've never hunted before and I'm worried that the country is more open than what I am used to hunting and I may struggle to get within 30 yards. So this is an issue I think I need to get a handle on.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Try shooting at a 3D course. Shooting in your backyard, at your Block target, from 30 yards, every single time... gets kinda boring. I like to break it up, and shoot from different distances, odd angles, etc.

Anymore, bows are so accurate, and forgiving, that you really don't have to shoot hundreds of arrows every year, to be able to consistently hit a target at 30 yards, so you've got that going for you..

But, if you really don't enjoy shooting your bow, why are you bow hunting?

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
All I do is bow hunt except for turkey and I find shooting relaxing. I believe the trick is not to shoot a lot of arrows. I shoot 15-20 arrows three times a week. I find if I shoot more than that I do not shoot near as well. I concentrate on fewer good shots than lots of mediocre shots. I have always practiced at long distances. This adds another dimension to archery. This time of year I practice at 100yds almost exclusively. Some days are better than others, but it really makes me think about the shot and I concentrate because arrows are expensive!!:mad: I would never take a shot over 50-60 yds and then it would have to be a perfect situation. I have incorporated shooting my bow into my work out schedule which helps. The more you shoot longer distances the more confidence you will develop. Your short yardage game will really benefit from extending your shooting range. I also walk around every so often with my rangefinder judging yardage .

As for your Question "what motivates me?" No doubt every year it is Elk Bow Season. and just becoming consistent with my shooting.

I posted this in the workout section a few weeks ago it is a video of my 100yd practice. Believe it or not I am normally not this mellow but slow myself down a bit, relax, and concentrate when I shoot. If I don't feel good about the shot I let down and start again. Mark

[video=youtube;YCUwFQi06eI?rel=0]https:www.youtube.com/embed/YCUwFQi06eI?rel=0[/video]

Last edited:

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
Agree with Fink...one of the best things I ever did was go to an indoor 3D shoot on an invite from a friend. They shoot every Thursday night right in my home town and I never went because I didn't think it was for me, and didn't know anyone that went. Best group of guys you could be around and had a blast. Plus it puts a score on your skills and you'll want to go back and try to best yourself. I did that for a couple of years and shot some outdoor 3D as well. Then our 2nd child came and I've kind of fell out of it lately. I'll be back into it this fall when the indoor opens again. Its a lot of fun. Well worth the extra arrows you'll go through haha

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Fink;96812 But said:
Because I'm a hunter, in Oregon if you don't draw a rifle tag the only OTC hunts im most eastern Oregon units are bow hunts. I have become pretty good at calling in bulls the last few years too, so that's another reason why I like bow hunting. I just haven't found as much joy in shooting as I do hunting. It's the same story for rifles for me, but rifles are way more forgiving than bows. I've always been more hunter than shooter.

I have to admit, a 3D shoot is intimidating to me, but I have considered trying it. I have shot with my cousins in situations like that an I tend to hold my own around them. Thanks Fink

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I have to admit, a 3D shoot is intimidating to me, but I have considered trying it. I have shot with my cousins in situations like that an I tend to hold my own around them. Thanks Fink
I was in the same situation. Then I went and of course there was some ribbing going on during the shoot. It was all in good fun though.

Also, one article I read years ago made a lot of sense to me. It was by Chuck Adams I believe. He said the most important practice he does is to keep a target in his yard. And every evening after work he steps out on his deck and shoots 1 arrow into the target. This first shot in a hunting situation is the one that counts the most.

Now that doesn't mean that you give up all other practice scenarios and go hunting, but its a sure fire way to keep your form consistent and force you to concentrate on the 1 shot that counts the most. Good luck with it, I enjoy shooting my bow. Time has been working against me lately, but I'll get it back out soon.

I like to wait until its 95 degrees and humid apparently lol....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Because I'm a hunter, in Oregon if you don't draw a rifle tag the only OTC hunts im most eastern Oregon units are bow hunts. I have become pretty good at calling in bulls the last few years too, so that's another reason why I like bow hunting. I just haven't found as much joy in shooting as I do hunting. It's the same story for rifles for me, but rifles are way more forgiving than bows. I've always been more hunter than shooter.

Makes sense to me.. I rarely shoot my hunting rifles more than 10 times in a given year.. But I love shooting shotguns and bows, and shoot them nearly year round. I find shooting with a few other people to be really enjoyable, and much more fun than shooting by myself.
I think if you really try to test your archery skills, you'd be surprised at how much more fun it is.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
All I do is bow hunt except for turkey and I find shooting relaxing. I believe the trick is not to shoot a lot of arrows. I shoot 15-20 arrows three times a week. I find if I shoot more than that I do not shoot near as well. I concentrate on fewer good shots than lots of mediocre shots. I have always practiced at long distances. This adds another dimension to archery. This time of year I practice at 100yds almost exclusively. Some days are better than others, but it really makes me think about the shot and I concentrate because arrows are expensive!!:mad: I would never take a shot over 50-60 yds and then it would have to be a perfect situation. I have incorporated shooting my bow into my work out schedule which helps. The more you shoot longer distances the more confidence you will develop. Your short yardage game will really benefit from extending your shooting range. I also walk around every so often with my rangefinder judging yardage .

As for your Question "what motivates me?" No doubt every year it is Elk Bow Season. and just becoming consistent with my shooting.

QUOTE]

I tend to get more into shooting the closer it gets to the end of august for that reason, I struggle when elk season is so far away. Buy the way, your video on the other thread made me drag my bow out last week, just hearing the bulls bugling in the background got me fired up. I guess I need to watch it more often!

As far as shooting at long distances, I've never tryed it. I think the farthest I've ever shot was 60 yards.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv

QUOTE]

I tend to get more into shooting the closer it gets to the end of august for that reason, I struggle when elk season is so far away. Buy the way, your video on the other thread made me drag my bow out last week, just hearing the bulls bugling in the background got me fired up. I guess I need to watch it more often!

As far as shooting at long distances, I've never tryed it. I think the farthest I've ever shot was 60 yards.
Try shooting at 80 and 100. It is difficult, but helps and is fun. Nothing like hearing the bow go off and then wait for the "thunk"

jlmoeller

Nov 10, 2012
Iowa
I feel many hunters (bow and gun) do a disservice to themselves by not shooting in competitions. When I invite others to go to a competition I hear a lot of "I can't go, I am not that good". That is the wrong attitude. No one is good when the start. The whole point is to learn to be better. Trust me you meet the best people on the firing line. I shoot rifle competitions because I love it. I shoot archery competitions to improve as a hunter. Also, cross training is very beneficial. The fundamentals of shooting are the same regardless of the game. I was an accomplished rifle shooter before I picked up archery and my friends tell me I caught on quickly because of that. My nephew is an accomplished archer and he did amazingly well when I took him to a 1000 yd practice session.

Competition is what drives me to be better. I don't compare myself to national champions, but I do strive to have my best performance each time I shoot. Competition helps me measure my success and improve.

Jason Moeller

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Try shooting at 80 and 100. It is difficult, but helps and is fun. Nothing like hearing the bow go off and then wait for the "thunk"
Hell Velvet I have a rough time @ 50! I need to tighten up my group before I get that carried away. I'm not sure how fun it would be for me, I have a feeling my shooting time would turn into looking for arrows time.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
Hell Velvet I have a rough time @ 50! I need to tighten up my group before I get that carried away. I'm not sure how fun it would be for me, I have a feeling my shooting time would turn into looking for arrows time.
Timber, shoot at a big target at 80, that saves my arrows. But when you practice at 80, 90, and 100, 50 will feel like 30. I always shoot at 80-100 and make sure my groups are solid. Then when I get to 60, it feels like its closer. Helps with the mental aspect

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Timber, shoot at a big target at 80, that saves my arrows. But when you practice at 80, 90, and 100, 50 will feel like 30. I always shoot at 80-100 and make sure my groups are solid. Then when I get to 60, it feels like its closer. Helps with the mental aspect
What do you consider a good group @ say 80?