What is your go to elk rifle / ammunition combo?

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
338 WM Winchester Super Grade with 185 gr. Barnes handloads at 3,034 fps. for bull elk.
30-06 Tikka with Nosler Partition 180 gr. for cow elk, deer, antelope.
TC Omega 50 cal. with 300 gr. Thor bullet for MZL.

Reactions: memtb

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
To go along with my earlier comment of "whichever one you can shoot effectively"...
For elk I like my Dad's old Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester in 30-06 with 165gr Noslers.
It still shoots great and I've been shooting it so long and I'm so familiar with it I shoot it pretty well.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
.340wby 225-250gr
.300wsm 150-165gr, more of a lighter magnum setup than the .340

thinking a .280ai, or 284 rpm,or 7mm-6.5prc could be a nice lightweight setup, not too lightweight though.

Reactions: memtb and dan maule

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
7mm 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
Hi Tray, welcome to the forum. Hate to send a negative response to your first message but hope to save you a wounded elk. Here is a quote directly from Nosler- "ballistic tips are not for elk. They are designed for smaller game. The ballistic tips expand faster and don't penetrate deep enough for elk. " I would recommend taking a look at the Accubond instead as they are designed for better penetration on elk sized game. If you are open to other manufacturers, there are a lot of deep penetrating bullets on the market designed for elk sized game. Hope you stick around- bunch of great guys on here.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Hilltop, I'm sure that info on ballistic tips is correct.
I will also say that my old 30-06 shoots 165gr ballistic tips the best and I think bullet placement is critical so I use them.
I've killed a number of elk with them without issue and they all dropped basically in their tracks.
So if bullet placement is correct, the ballistics tips will kill an elk.
Having said that, your advice is very good and I agree an Accubond or something similar is probably better suited for elk provided your rifle will shoot it well.

Reactions: Hilltop

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem with shooting a elk is that even on a broadside shot you have the chance of hitting that heavy shoulder bone. If you can get right behind it and and manage to miss a rib then the ballistic tips will destroy the lungs, even if you do glance off of a rib it should do the job.

Even a good bullet like the Partition, or Accubond from Nosler will have problems if they hit that big bone, even my favorite bullet the Barnes TTSX has a problem with it. But those bullets have a far greater chance of busting through that shoulder bone and going into the vitals.

But that is the trouble with elk they just do not cooperate with the hunter.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
The problem with shooting a elk is that even on a broadside shot you have the chance of hitting that heavy shoulder bone. If you can get right behind it and and manage to miss a rib then the ballistic tips will destroy the lungs, even if you do glance off of a rib it should do the job.

Even a good bullet like the Partition, or Accubond from Nosler will have problems if they hit that big bone, even my favorite bullet the Barnes TTSX has a problem with it. But those bullets have a far greater chance of busting through that shoulder bone and going into the vitals.

Here is a 180 TTSX that went through both shoulders of a bull I killed at 350 yards. Tough bullet, muzzle velocity a hair over 3000 FPS, bullet was under skin on off side.

trayball20

May 30, 2013
Each person shoots what they have found to work the best for them. The Ballistic Tips shoot very accurate out of my rifle plus with one load I shoot antelope, deer, bear, and elk. It is about confidence in your equipment and your ability to use it.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I've shot a lot of animals with my ballistic tips, but the posts above have some very good advice.
And even though my rifle shoots them very well, I would not use them on a bear.
They definitely weren't meant for something that tough.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan

The very first time I hunted out west, my brother and I were in Montana and came across a couple of guys skinning an Elk. Sounded like they both had put bullets into to it. Anyway as they pulled the hide off the front shoulder there was a bullet that fell out. Th e gentlemen said that he was using a 7mm mag with 140 grain ballistic tips. He said he knew better but his gun was shooting them so well that he thought he would give them a try. It was a real eye opener for me as the bullet never even damaged the shoulder bone. I don't remember how far of a shot it was or if he even told me. I was absolutely shocked at how little damage it did. I've killed lot's of whitetail with 165 grn ballistic tips out of my 300 wby and 200 grain out of my 340 wby but after seeing that guys elk I've gone to accubonds and barnes bullets.