What is your favorite hunt?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Lots of time on my hands and got to thinking about all the various hunts I have done. I am 78 now and have hunted over 70 years in a lot of different places, with a lot of different people. My all time favorite hunt was an elk hunt with my Dad here in Colorado.

October 2008; San Juan Mts/NF.

My Dad had kept mentioning he want to go elk hunting again before he "got to damn old to do it", Dad was 90! I started making plans early in the year, especially since where I wanted to hunt had only 25 available tags for each season. I spent 8 years volunteering at Lone Mesa State Park near my home. It is a new state park in the San Juan NF, not yet open to the public. It does have a limited, draw only hunting program. I put Dad and I in for the draw. There were some cow tags available and I put him in for the Unit draw also. Dad drew both his cow tag and park access tag, I drew blanks.

A couple of weeks before the season, I went to California and picked up Dad and his gear and brought him to my place in Dolores. We had plenty of time to get him acclimated and to go to the range for a few shooting sessions. We went to the range and I soon found out it was going to be a problem shooting his old, trusty sporterized 03 Springfield. Too much recoil. I convinced him to shoot my .300 Wby with a muzzle brake. All the problems went away and he was shooting 2" groups at 100 yds.

I live about 40 miles from Lone Mesa, so we stayed at home and drove everyday. I knew exactly where I wanted to be and it was only about 1/2 mile from the parking area. Opening morning was a blank. Came back to the truck for lunch and a nap. Later in the afternoon, we left and were in the spot by 3:30. There is an Aspen patch about 400 yds away and about 45 mins before sunset, the elk started moving out and feeding. They were feeding towards us and Dad got really excited and wanted to shoot when they were about 200 yds away. I whispered "No ....don't get in a hurry, we have plenty of time". Finally at about 100yds, I got him setup with shooting sticks and on a nice, fat cow. I told him "Just squeeze the trigger easy". There was a big bang and the cow dropped like a rock. Dad was jumping up and yelling like it was his first elk. We got to the cow and I started gutting her. It got dark, so Dad held the flashlite for me. I saw a light coming and it was the head Ranger. He is my neighbor and he knew when he heard the shot that I would need help.

Got the cow back to the truck and I called the processor, who said they would wait for me to get there. They were about an hour away. Long story, but a great outcome. It was my Dads last elk hunt. (I hunted deer and antelope with him in Wyoming for several years after this). The only bad thing was I didn't get any pictures as I was too busy with his elk and just forgot. Dad lived for another 6 years, passing at 96.
Dad & Me - Antelope Hunting-Wyoming.pngHigh Sierras 1954 #1.png

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I agree that I don't think that I could pick a favorite hunt.

My dad had to give up hunting due to work when I was 5, and while I remember bits and pieces of that hunt I can't remember very much of it.

Other than that it would a have to be taking a first time tag holder out and getting them their first animal. I have done this a number of times and the smiles on their faces afterwards is priceless.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
One that stands out for me was my first caribou hunt. Probably 1976 or 1977. It was a walk-in area, near the Denali highway. I hiked in about 5 miles and camped out alone. I woke up to new snow and glassed up a small band of caribou about a mile away across a valley. The group had 2 nice bulls in it.
After hiking there and making a stalk, I made a good shot with my Remington 700 in 8mm magnum with my hand loads. It took me a couple round trips to get it all out and back to my pickup. Tundra is not the easiest terrain to hike in but I was young and tough.
That was my first completely solo Alaska hunt and gave me a great sense of accomplishment, plus some good eating!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
One that stands out for me was my first caribou hunt. Probably 1976 or 1977. It was a walk-in area, near the Denali highway. I hiked in about 5 miles and camped out alone. I woke up to new snow and glassed up a small band of caribou about a mile away across a valley. The group had 2 nice bulls in it.
After hiking there and making a stalk, I made a good shot with my Remington 700 in 8mm magnum with my hand loads. It took me a couple round trips to get it all out and back to my pickup. Tundra is not the easiest terrain to hike in but I was young and tough.
That was my first completely solo Alaska hunt and gave me a great sense of accomplishment, plus some good eating!
Hoping to make a repeat of that next fall!!!

minus the truck :)

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I rank my moose adventures at the highest level. Always did enjoy those trips. I cant really single any of them out as the best cause they were all so dang good. Its a shame what has happened up there in the last 15 years though (Moose population is tanking).

Honestly, I would give up ALL of my western hunting to be able to do that trip for 2 weeks a year. It was so much more enjoyable for me than fighting the crowds during my western hunts. Even on the years we didn't score it was a great time.

Outfitters have jacked their rates super high because of the shortage of tags. Maybe one day it will be affordable again but I doubt it.

These were VERY memorable trips for me. Super affordable too. I went 6 times.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015

This girl pilot even let my buddy fly the plane the whole way to the cabin. lol

She was very cool.

I was like....ya...how about you land this sucker lady...she laughed and asked him is he wanted to try...lol

He thought she was serious for a second...haha

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
My favorite hunt, hands down, was my first hunt ever for rabbits back in PA.
I had been waiting for years to hunt with a gun in my hands.
My Dad, Grandpa and best family friend were there along with our beagle.
I got my first rabbit even though the shot knocked me backwards off the log I was standing on into a briar patch.
I can replay that hunt in my mind anytime I want to relive it.
Good times...

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I’d have to say moose hunting with my oldest son in northern BC. Our hunt was the peak of the rut, but weather was slightly warm. As the hunt went on we were seeing moose just not legal bulls. Then that all changed on the last morning Of our hunt, while having breakfast our guide mentioned the outfitter wanted us to hunt an extra two days. We said let’s see what happens today. So we rode to our glassing / calling spot and that afternoon it all changed. 30147

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado

Favorite hunt "that I remember" (it's the first to go!) First hunt with my daughter. Took 1 grouse and you've never seen anybody so proud over half a pound of meat. :D As it stands now I have 5 kids and 2 of them are into hunting. I count my blessings every day.

I'll forget these trips long before they do.