what is your favorite game camera?

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
Later this winter I am looking at purchasing my first game camera and I was wondering which cameras are your favorites and why. I am looking to spend around $200 per camera. Is it worth spending the extra money for a camera that takes pictures at a higher mega pixel? Or is the ability to take photos at a longer range more necessary? And what is the difference between white and black LED's? Specifically I will use the camera to scout mule deer and elk when the snow melts. A couple cameras I have been considering are the Cabelas outfitter series and the Bushnell trophy cam. Any feedback is appreciated!

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I have used several cameras over the years. I only use the cameras from September to December, and the cameras have the batteries removed at the end of season and cameras are stored in my basement. Its a good idea to remove the batteries when finished for the year. My sister had a cam ruined by batteries leaking.

Wildgame Innovations - I have bought two of these cameras over the years and neither one worked well. The worse cameras I have ever used. I had one not work right out of the box and the replacement wasn't much better. Constant photos of nothing but white during the daylight. Also, I found the menu setup and getting the camera up and running more difficult than other brands. Bottomline, I wouldn't bother taking a WGI camera to the woods if I was given one for free.

Primos - I have had decent luck with these cameras. I believe the models I have are the ultra 35. Both cameras worked great for the first 2 years and then they begin to not work after that. The most years I have gotten out of a primos camera has been 4 years. Decent picture, trigger speed, etc. No real complaints; just wish they would last longer.

Bushnell - I have had the best luck with bushnell (6 and 7mp). Pictures are great, trigger speed seems better than other cameras I have used. Very simple interface to get the camera up and running. I love the manual swith of "on/off". I only buy bushnell cameras now; very impressed.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Also, I wouldn't get all caught up in the megapixels. Unless you plan to print frame quality photos of the snapshot, its not worth the money IMO. If you are just wanting to get a feel for what kinds of animals are in an area; megapixels aren't that big of deal for trail cameras.

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
needed a true "trail" camera..not a feeder camera. Quick trigger speed and long battery life was what I was after. image quality was not too important for me and I wanted more cams to cover more area, then fewer high end cams to cover a smaller area.
that said I have 12 Stealth Cam WD2 cams that I have zero complaints with and I have been using them for about 5-6 years.

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
Thats good to know about the mega pixels. Seems like all camera companies use that as one of their major selling points. I've found it difficult to find decent reviews of trail cameras online that come straight from the consumer. Unless of course you get on Cabelas and start thumbing though the reviews.

hoshour

Veteran member
My favorite brand is Cuddeback.

The 1/4 second trigger speed makes a huge difference. The Primos, Wildgame and Spypoint brands gave me way too many empty frames where whatever triggered the shot was out of the frame by the time the camera triggered.

It takes very little time for that to happen, especially if you are not pointing the camera down the trail. I prefer to shoot from the side, preferably at intersecting trails.

I also prefer the black LEDs. You get a bit less range, but again, I am done with pictures with the regular infared where the deer is looking at the camera.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I've got a dozen Bushnells and have been really happy with them. Like Buckbull said they have a fast trigger time. I think Reconyx makes the best camera out there, and thought about going with them, but I could get 2 or 3 Bushnells for the price of one Reconyx. I wanted a volume of good cameras rather than a few of the best. At the time (about 4 years ago), from what I found the Bushnells had the closest trigger time to the Reconyx. I wouldn't waste time on bells and whistles like camo and such. Save that money for additional cameras. When you are running cams having several makes it so much more fun. Sometimes you can get a bad set and get a ton of pics of a branch wiggling or something like that, so keeping it affordable so you can afford a few cams keeps things interesting.

I typically run mine on 3 shot bursts.

Last edited:

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Ive been running a Moultrie camera for the past 4 years and really haven't had many complaints. It's trigger time isn't the best so that is a real bummer sometimes, but it takes really good pictures. This last week the IR part of the camera quit working so its really only good for daytime now, but I have a bushnell now that I just put out yesterday

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
I'm really liking my Primos Ultra 35's. The pictures aren't the best, but the trigger is very fast and the sensor works really well. Nothing gets by these cameras and it takes a lot of pictures when I have it set for a 5 shot burst with only a 10 second delay. Great little cameras and I only paid $25 each! Will never get them at that price again, but Natchez Shooters Supply just had refurbished ones on sale for $50.

Another really great camera that DOES take good pictures is the Moultrie M80. It's an older model that's not made anymore, but if you search the Internet you'll find refurbished M80's for about $65 to $85 each.

Last edited:

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I've used several brands (cuddeback, Moultrie, stealth cam, primos, sky point, and wild game innovations) and models Over the past 10 years. I run 12-14 cameras about 6 months a year from 100 to -10 degree F. My favorite is probably the cuddebac capture series. However I don't have a complaint about any of the cuddebacks. I like the Moultrie and stealth cams also, but you have to know how to position them. I like to position all my cameras either on a food source or head on to 45 deg off a trail. The shallower the angle the better. It gives the longer trigger speed cameras more time to recognize what is walking by.

I do not like the wild game innovations or sky points as I had lots of scenery pictures and very few pictures during times of hot weather. I will note that the models I tried was 3 years ago and all the manufactures change there models and technology yearly so a new version may meet my requirements now. 3 years ago I did not like stealth cam but now I have 2.

One thing I also look for in a camera is one that uses AA batteries. That way I can use lithium batteries. These batteries last longer in a high drain device like a camera and are not effected by cold weather.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
One thing I also look for in a camera is one that uses AA batteries. That way I can use lithium batteries. These batteries last longer in a high drain device like a camera and are not effected by cold weather.
^^^Very good point. My primo's cams were running D-Cell batteries. When temps got down to 20 or so the batteries wouldn't last more than a couple weeks.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
I'd get the Bushnell trophy cams. Most of the ones I have are the 8MP Bone Collector series. MPs matter if you're trying to cover a big area with the camera that way you can zoom in and actually tell something about what's in the distance in the picture. I started mine in early June this year and haven't messed with batteries in any of them and have had several fill up 8GB cards.

goatpoop

Feb 22, 2011
I have also been trying to get into trail cameras for elk and deer. I have found that http://www.trailcampro.com is really informative about trail cameras. They have highly detailed reviews and articles.
My only experience is with bushnell and the cameras that my friend has (spypoint, browning and some other ones). I mainly use the bushnell for security purposes. I have been impressed with it so far.
My friend went on trail camera buying spree last year after I introduced him to camofire. I can't remember the model of the spypoint but it did horrible job. The pictures were horrible and had a slow trigger. I think the spypoint cost around $80.
The browning (spec ops xr) is a fantastic camera. The picture quality was amazing and very easy to use. In fact this model rated just below the top 1st and 2nd ($500 Recoynx camers) http://www.trailcampro.com/trailcamprostarrankings.aspx. My friend bought his for around 150 at Sportsman Warehouse.

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Also, I wouldn't get all caught up in the megapixels. Unless you plan to print frame quality photos of the snapshot, its not worth the money IMO. If you are just wanting to get a feel for what kinds of animals are in an area; megapixels aren't that big of deal for trail cameras.
Good call. Never thought of it that way.