What do you do with your horns/antlers?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I have some of our smaller ones from the early years hanging in the garage in a similar way. I have said for years I should make something out of them but I haven't had the right idea yet. Hoping this thread provides some good ideas!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I gave away a truck load of both deer and elk antlers to a so called friend who was going to make a couple of knifes for me, he was using them as handle material.

Needless to say he moved back east and took the antlers with him and I still haven't received 1 knife and that was 25 years ago.

Anymore if I don't have the animal mounted they collect dust in my garage, but anymore I pass on more animals than I shoot and unless he is exceptional I don't pull the trigger.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I gave about a dozen sets of whitetail antlers to my sister in law for crafting. bunch in the shop and house.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
I have several hanging in the garage. At least 10 Euro mounts and probably another 10 racks. I Euro all of the grandsons except the one shoulder mount from my youngest a few years ago.

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
There is a market for them at about $13.00 a pound but it is hard to let them go. I still have all of ours from 50+ years of hunting. My wife thinks they need to go but will probably be around as long as I am.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
There is a market for them at about $13.00 a pound but it is hard to let them go. I still have all of ours from 50+ years of hunting. My wife thinks they need to go but will probably be around as long as I am.
$13 a pound? My son and me just weighed all our sheds, we have 41 pounds. Sounds like I need to sell them so I can but some new hunting gear!

Reactions: Maxhunter

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I usually keep them in my shop. I've given quite a few away for antler lighting projects and other stuff. I have the field pictures and that's good enough for me.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
put this years set on a trash can out back, behind the shed . I imagine some dog has probly drug em off by now.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I trace a template I made when I was 12 years old and cut out a plaque from whatever scrap wood is lying around and write the year on the front. On the back I write what state, whats county, and what weapon I killed it with.

When I am an old man (If I make it to be one) I may be able to hide my own easter eggs but I will hopefully be able to read the back of the board and relive the scene one more time...If I can remember to look on the back of it! lol

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Reactions: tdcour and Montana

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I only euro now.

The cost for mounts is too high and I have plans in the next few years to downsize my home so I won’t have room.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I also tried making buttons out if them. Sliced them and drilled small holes used to sew on. But didn't last too long as the repeated washing of the shirt weakened the marrow and the buttons pulled off.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I trace a template I made when I was 12 years old and cut out a plaque from whatever scrap wood is lying around and write the year on the front. On the back I write what state, whats county, and what weapon I killed it with.

When I am an old man (If I make it to be one) I may be able to hide my own easter eggs but I will hopefully be able to read the back of the board and relive the scene one more time...If I can remember to look on the back of it! lol
That's what my Dad always did.
Now he's gone but I still enjoy reading the info on the back.

Reactions: gonhunting247