Trophy Hunting...

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Africa...sorry JimP.
No problem, but with the way regulations and the USDA is Africa is for trophy hunting. And while 99% of the animal gets used locally the only thing that the hunter gets to bring home is the "trophy" part of it and the memories.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Hunters who have an inch minimum.

I would say anytime you pass on the first legal animal that you have an opportunity to shoot that your tag is good for your trophy hunting.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
No problem, but with the way regulations and the USDA is Africa is for trophy hunting. And while 99% of the animal gets used locally the only thing that the hunter gets to bring home is the "trophy" part of it and the memories.
I know that the animal is not wasted, but that is the first thing that comes to mind for me.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Quite a few of the outfitters in Africa want you to shoot a good trophy, and in my case the outfitter promised a SCI class trophy or at least the chance of one. All of the animals that I shot on my first safari would qualify for the SCI club trophy list and three of them would rank in the top half of the list for that spiecies.

Now that is trophy hunting.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Ca_Vermonster

Apr 1, 2016
I think it means different things to different people. I grew up hunting in Vermont, where Whitetail success was about 10-12%, so unless you had your own large property, and multiple deer to choose from, you shot the first legal buck. And that was all the "trpphy" I needed. But, if you're someone that has more property and see lots of animals, or more time to go out and put into it, you might be more likely to hold out for the bigger "trophy". Also, money has a lot to do with it, because not all but most guys who dish out 5-10,000 for a guided hunt, are more likely to want to hold out for something larger.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I think it means different things to different people. I grew up hunting in Vermont, where Whitetail success was about 10-12%, so unless you had your own large property, and multiple deer to choose from, you shot the first legal buck. And that was all the "trophy" I needed. But, if you're someone that has more property and see lots of animals, or more time to go out and put into it, you might be more likely to hold out for the bigger "trophy". Also, money has a lot to do with it, because not all but most guys who dish out 5-10,000 for a guided hunt, are more likely to want to hold out for something larger.
Deer hunting is tough in VT and northern New England. I'd hunt all day every day of the 9 or 16 day rifle season and usually would see a deer or two at some point during that timeframe and that was it. Never passed a shot at a legal animal cause was happy just to see that one.

My uncle did well in ME, but he was third or so in a line of northwoods hunters and had an in with lumber guys - he took some big bucks and got a deer about every 5 years. Same for my cousin - a buck every 5 or 6 years but his deer aren't anywhere close to what his daddy has shot - the old time connections are gone, property access is much more limited, and more hunters on what land provides access.

Guy we used to hunt with in VT - he hunts midwest whitetails now instead of literally hunting in his own back yard. His wife hunts my parents land and gets a deer every now and again.

It is a diff world out west.