Tonneau Cover - Help me choose!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I need a new one. The one with the Velcro sides I have currently was flapping like superman's cape behind the truck coming across Nebraska last year.

What do you have?

What do you wish you had bought?

Assume that price does not matter.

I am leaning towards one of these but I dont like how I cant use ALL of the bed. I do like that I could stack coolers on top of it though.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
not sure, but the one I have has the velcro sides and works great, no problems, never flaps in the wind...

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I used an undercover cover for the last 15 years. Still looks nearly new with no complaints.
That said I just bought a used topper for 300 bucks that I'm far happier with. Lots more space and easier to use.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The Velcro wore out on mine. I dont think I will go that route again.

I do a lot of traveling at 80 MPH and the Velcro doesn't hold up to that.

I might look into having that Velcro replaced as a temporary fix though!.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
The Velcro wore out on mine. I dont think I will go that route again.

I do a lot of traveling at 80 MPH and the Velcro doesn't hold up to that.

I might look into having that Velcro replaced as a temporary fix though!.
I also press the Velcro together after closing it up... I know it kinda sticks on its own but I just give it a quick thumb press along the sides, if you don't do that, I'd give it a try.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I tried that. 1000 times. Somehow it comes undone and starts flapping down the side. Then air gets under it and away we go with the batman cape....At 80MPH with Nebraska winsa things got real interesting.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I always did like those vehicles but I couldn't ever figure out how to fit a sxs or a 4 wheeler in the back of them! lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Winchester

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
I need a new one. The one with the Velcro sides I have currently was flapping like superman's cape behind the truck coming across Nebraska last year.

What do you have?

What do you wish you had bought?

Assume that price does not matter.

I am leaning towards one of these but I dont like how I cant use ALL of the bed. I do like that I could stack coolers on top of it though.

Buy the diamond back! I’ve had one on my gmc for 4 years and love it. No issues! Ships to you and install is easy. You can put 400lbs on the standard and a atv on the heavy duty one. I won’t buy another truck without have a Diamondback on order for it. If you want any pictures or have questions might be able to answer them. My dad had a soft cover and now has a Diamondback and he said he won’t go back to a soft one either.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Buy the diamond back! I’ve had one on my gmc for 4 years and love it. No issues! Ships to you and install is easy. You can put 400lbs on the standard and a atv on the heavy duty one. I won’t buy another truck without have a Diamondback on order for it. If you want any pictures or have questions might be able to answer them. My dad had a soft cover and now has a Diamondback and he said he won’t go back to a soft one either.
Tk's cover is awesome. If I was going to buy a cover for my truck, it'd be a Diamondback. Only thing I don't like about it, is that it looks like it might be a little hairy loading and unloading an ATV off the top, plus it might get a little sketch hauling an ATV cross country on top like that..

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Ya I dont think I would put the pioneer up there....lol If I would have had it on there last time I crossed Nebraska it would for sure have flipped the truck. lol It was 0 degrees and the wind was literally blowing 60 MPH. I got out to fill the truck up and I damn near froze to death and I am 100% serious. haha

My wife was so cold that when I asked her for a jacket and she threw a pair of sweatpants at me out the window....???????? lol

Last edited:

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I've had several different covers on four different company trucks now over the past 11 years. Our company policy requires the cover be lockable by either locks on the cover itself or via the truck tailgate.

The first I had was a rolling top that retracted into a canister at the front of the cab. Two things I didn't like about this cover: 1) lost some bed space because of the canister 2) if going down a wash boarded road, it would sometime roll up However, it was a great cover.

The last three trucks have had the tri-fold type of cover you're looking at. I guess for my means they suit my purpose. One thing that is different is the size of the three folding pieces. The first two were in Dodge trucks and my aluminum dog box would fit perfectly in the back with the first tri-fold down and the tailgate shut. My current truck is a Ford and I cannot leave the first fold down because of not being able to get the tailgate shut; therefore, I gotta remove the cover for everything to fit. Also, they seem to start leaking after 18-24 months.

I never gave the velcro-style covers any thought when choosing before. I have thought about going to a true truck bed topper, but don't like the fact they block some visibility out of the back and my mind tells me it's an "old man" topper, which I'm starting to become and in 100% denial. :cool: