Thoughts on Suppressors for Hunting?

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Ive been thinking about doing just that, the costs and the tax stamp are a factor that I haven't been able to get over yet. From what I've seen online ,tv and watching one guy shoot I don't see a big impact to accuracy.

Reactions: THelms

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Those that I have seen hunting with them look like they are packing a antenna on their backs when walking around.

I wouldn't just because of where I hunt, they would get hung up on everything. But I also would not have my barrel on any of my rifles threaded to take one or mar up the end with a clamp on one.

They are a lot like a muzzle brake, they have their place but I don't believe that it is in the hunting woods.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I’m a fan of suppressors, seems ridiculous that the Feds make them so hard to get...they are not exactly dangerous items. I have not used one on a western hunt because they are little cumbersome when stuck on a 24 or 26 inch barrel. But I have considered building a 300wsm with a short 20” barrel and suppressor. They don’t make you some kind of secret stealthy assassin, but they might save your ears from permanent damage.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I'm all for supressors. The benefits outweigh the negatives.

Was at the range once and met a guy with supressors - he had 1 gun (blackout I think) that I could not hear except for the slide. He also had a RPR in 6.5 CM that could shoot 1 hole at 225 yards. Was so nice and quiet. That's my only experience and it was positive.

Shame the feds make a business out of hassling us if we want them. I'd have a couple if it wasn't such a big hassle and screaming - "look at me" to the feds.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
My buddy has two Gunwerks rifles one in 6.5 Credmoor and another in 7mm. He uses both rifles for hunting with suppressors. He stated hunting with a suppressor attached isn't a problem IMO.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
My 300 win mag has a muzzle brake on it and I keep it on during hunts but my .284 has a brake that I take off for hunts. I must say that 2" shorter barrel is a hell of a lot easier to maneuver and carry. I would think a suppressor would make it tougher to carry when it's on your shoulder.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
No b/c size and weight, as others said above. I largely focus on elk and do a lot of timber stalking. Smaller the better. I'm not worried about hearing loss from one shot a year. Range, yes, hunting no.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Don't care one way or the other about them really.

I'd rather buy another tag to hunt with, buy better binoculars, etc. than pay to put a can on a rifle barrel.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I would not use them . I don't care if others want to . I just see no real benefit in regards to reward vs effort.

but if it is legal , to each their own,

Reactions: lukew and THelms

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Looking to get a couple. Great for hunting and shooting in general.
Really like the aspect of a shot not spooking every animal within hearing distance. Hoping they evolve into more hunting friendly - smaller and lighter perhaps.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff here folks! The general consensus is that it's a no for western hunting due to added weight and being cumbersome but great for target shooting and more stationary hunting.

I really like the reduced muzzle blast and noise for teaching shooting mechanics to first timers. And I feel they have a very negative stigma surrounding them thanks to Hollywood. Just follow this link for a look into what the anti's think about them... total propaganda and misinformation!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I always wondered if they dramatically affected accuracy.

Meaning sight the gun in to a satisfactory group with it on.

Then take it off and does that dramatically change you POI and group size?

I highly doubt it would tone down my 300 WSM enough to mess with one.
I envision the thing getting blown off the end of the gun and launched like a grenade half way down range...:D

• Haha

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
mallards you would be very surprised.
They do not affect accuracy and would work great on your 300wsm, that's what I shoot.

Had some friends come out hunting a few years back with their suppressors. Really impressive the way they work. harvested a nice deer and never heard the shot. Animals in the vicinity did not even react to the shot.
The hearing protection issues are enough for me to look into them.

Not all are long and heavy.

The right 22 caliber suppressor does sound just like in the movies, pretty neat actually.