Thoughts on Suppressors for Hunting?

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I would use for a stationary hunt. But the cost with the paperwork makes it a big hassle. when i can get some ear plugs to put on to give me the same benefit when i shot for way less money.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
Don't see the need for them, myself. I've been hunting since 1962 and can't think of one case where one would have helped. Don't like the looks but for sure think if someone wants one they should be able to have it. Feds. need to back off on this one.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A couple of years ago I was hunting elk with my brother in law and we spotted a pie bald spike bull that he wanted to shoot. Come opening day we hiked into the canyon and when the sun came up we spotted another hunter across the canyon from us. After a few hours we had seen a few elk but not the spike. A short while later a hunter came hiking towards us off of the ridge. It looked like he was packing a flag pole, he had a suppressor on his rifle and after talking to him we found out that he had shot the pie bald spike bull a hour before. We never did hear the shot across the canyon. He was looking for his buddies to help him pack the elk out.

But in Africa where they do a lot of cull hunts they all use suppressors on their rifles. They can kill all the animals in a herd that they want without most of them even knowing what is going on. The animals just look over at Joe after he falls down and think that he is taking a nap. 99% of these shots are also head shots.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
what????????? :LOL:

as most anyone who has been married for more then a couple years can attest , loss of hearing is a blessing ,not a curse! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: THelms and JimP

Rob Sev

Dec 12, 2020
I have used suppressors for about 5 years now. Every time I go to the range or hunting the suppressor is on. Not only much easier on the ears, I feel less of a kick and better accuracy, even on my .338 WM.

Reactions: THelms