The Gutless Method: Removing The Backstrap

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
[video=youtube_share;SNMggazoyog]http://youtu.be/SNMggazoyog[/video]

As always you guys will get this video a little sooner than everyone else. Do you do it a little differently?

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
He is way better than I am lol. I have not used the gutless method because my dad really likes the heart and liver. Thanks for the video. Good info. Hopefully I get to try it out next year.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Thanks for posting Scott. The only thing that I do different is skin the animal from the legs up to the spine then I remove the quarters. I feel that it is a little easier to access the backstrap at that point. You don't have to cut under the front shoulder. Then I repeat the same thing on the other side of the animal. The last thing I do is roll it onto its belly and remove the tenderloins on each side. Either way it is a great method. Just the way I do it!

Sent from my iPhone

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
He is way better than I am lol. I have not used the gutless method because my dad really likes the heart and liver. Thanks for the video. Good info. Hopefully I get to try it out next year.
You can still remove any organs you want using this method. You can just wait until the very end and go in and get the heart and liver. At least at this point if you contaminate your blade with the insides you aren't cutting all of your meat. Plus, you just have to get messy at the end!

Sent from my iPhone

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
Thanks for posting Scott. The only thing that I do different is skin the animal from the legs up to the spine then I remove the quarters. I feel that it is a little easier to access the backstrap at that point. You don't have to cut under the front shoulder. Then I repeat the same thing on the other side of the animal. The last thing I do is roll it onto its belly and remove the tenderloins on each side. Either way it is a great method. Just the way I do it!

Sent from my iPhone
Same thing here, much easier to get all the backstrap off with the front shoulder gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I've done the gutless method a couple of times now on deer. It takes some practice to get good at it, but once you do it sure saves a lot of time on the back end. I usually don't skin mine until I get the two quarters off on one side, then I start skinning from there. Leaving the hide on lets me lay it down on the ground without worrying about getting it nasty. If I was going to bone out the animal, I'd skin it similarly to how he does.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
You can still remove any organs you want using this method. You can just wait until the very end and go in and get the heart and liver. At least at this point if you contaminate your blade with the insides you aren't cutting all of your meat. Plus, you just have to get messy at the end!

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks ElkTrout. That is a good tip. Hopefully there will be a video on the tenderloins also. That is where I would like to see how it is done also.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
once all the meat is off getting the tenderloins out is easy...Just move the guts in the cavity so the guts are off the spine, and the tenderloin will show itself...then just carefully use your hand and knife and filet it out..flip it over and do the same on the other side...kinda hard to explain but it works slick and easy...you can also take your ax or small saw and knock out the last 4-5 ribs right above the tenderloin and just pull it right out the top as well.

crzy_cntryby

Dec 9, 2014
I've used a strange method on the last few animals I've worked. Its a reverse method. Start at the neck and end with everything out the bottom. Not very messy. I've only ever used or rather witnessed the gutless method once. Left way too much meat for my taste.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Thanks for the video Scott. I have always pulled the quarters off first before going for the backstraps, but this method looks like it would be a bit easier to keep the meat clean.

For retrieving the tenderloins, I used this method (see video link below) this year on my CO bull and it worked great. Cut two or three ribs up (the same length as the short ribs) then through the backbone. It makes it super easy to get the entire tenderloin out perfectly. I haven't carried a saw for years, but I got a little Lone Wolf bone saw and it worked great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN23m_cPHiA

Lone Wolf Bone Saw:

http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Wolf-Sheath-Black-10-6-Inch/dp/B006YBZFUO

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Thanks for the video Scott. I have always pulled the quarters off first before going for the backstraps, but this method looks like it would be a bit easier to keep the meat clean.

For retrieving the tenderloins, I used this method (see video link below) this year on my CO bull and it worked great. Cut two or three ribs up (the same length as the short ribs) then through the backbone. It makes it super easy to get the entire tenderloin out perfectly. I haven't carried a saw for years, but I got a little Lone Wolf bone saw and it worked great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN23m_cPHiA

Lone Wolf Bone Saw:

http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Wolf-Sheath-Black-10-6-Inch/dp/B006YBZFUO
I've never seen that method before. Looks pretty slick! I'll have to try it next time. I always have a small saw with me anyway even though I always do gutless quarter. Thanks for sharing!

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Thats a great method of getting the tenderloins as well. I will definitely have to give that a try! Thanks for posting the video Umpqua Hunter!

Sent from my iPhone

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
I learned that method in Canada this year. Did it on 2 bull elk and a mule deer in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk