The Gutless Method: Removing The Backstrap

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
This is the way I do it as well and it makes it easy and keeps the meat clean when you roll the animal over to the other side.

Thanks for posting Scott. The only thing that I do different is skin the animal from the legs up to the spine then I remove the quarters. I feel that it is a little easier to access the backstrap at that point. You don't have to cut under the front shoulder. Then I repeat the same thing on the other side of the animal. The last thing I do is roll it onto its belly and remove the tenderloins on each side. Either way it is a great method. Just the way I do it!

Sent from my iPhone

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
This part of the operation is pretty straight-forward. Getting out the tenderloins with the gutless method is fairly easy to do but a video would do a better job explaining it. Just make a hand size incision next to the last rib, fit your hand inside and you can pull the tenderloin away from the backbone. Be gentle, and you can get the whole thing intact. You may need to do a little cutting to pull the lower end loose. Do the other side after you have removed all the meat on one side.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I just found the video link for removing the tenderloin further down this thread. Scott uses a lot of knife action that I don't think is necessary and is scary to watch. He does a great job with it though. Take care, as we were given ten fingers to last us all our lives for a reason.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I just found the video link for removing the tenderloin further down this thread. Scott uses a lot of knife action that I don't think is necessary and is scary to watch. He does a great job with it though. Take care, as we were given ten fingers to last us all our lives for a reason.
That would be Dan Pickar in the video not myself, ha.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
I was wondering why I got a deva vu feeling on this one. I guess ScottR posted the tenderloin one last year. I saw it but didn't remember. I am like a baby turkey waking up to a brand new world everyday. Anyway really good info from everyone. Thanks.

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012
I was amazed at some of the ignorant comments on FB. Well I shouldn't be surprised I guess.

I too have removed the shoulder and ham before the backstrap. But I like top down skinning.

There is a good video of a "Rib roll" removing rib meat in one piece done on a tule elk , but hanging from a tractor bucket...The weight helps filet the meat off easier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFJ-g4utePE

Here is a bighorn rib rolled on the ground...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIDkLman-FE