Taking him out of school

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
OK, last year I took my youngest son out of school for a week as I bow hunted for Elk in Wyoming. He came along with a deer tag and had a blast as I called a bull right in to us and killed it. Its one of the most memorable moments I have had with him. He has talked and talked about this since then I and told him if he got good grades I would take him out west again and this time we both would elk hunt. His grades have done excellent and he is a senior in high school. We struck out in New Mexico but I am planning a OTC archery hunt in Colorado.

So here is the question

How many days would you feel comfortable taking him out of school? I have been planning two weeks since last year but I am getting some negative feedback from people and that's causing me second thoughts. He is OK as far as school policy goes. Its his last year before he heads off to College and I believe he has earned this. People are saying no more than a week but where we live there is very few people that hunt (my son knows nobody in school that hunts)

Thoughts?

Engideer

Jul 16, 2013
Arkansas
Haha, this is probably not the best place to get this advice. I know that I regularly was out long periods of school for hunting purposes. I mean, during the rut when you have a front move through, you really have to be out there. That being said, if you can manage to get the school to let him make up his work, I think two weeks is fine. I ended up being an engineer, so apparently it didn't hurt me much.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Later in life your son won't remember much of anything he learned from his teachers in that two week period, and he won't suffer for it either ... but he'll remember spending two weeks hunting with his father for the rest of his life.

Take him hunting for the two weeks!!

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
If he's doing excellent work in school, let him make up the two weeks he'll miss and you'll both be better for it the rest of your lives! He'll also be going on the hunt the first part of the school year and that would make it a lot different than if it was at a more critical time of the school year.

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Our school here in Nebraska is very hunter friendly. They allow students to get all assignments and homework in a package before they leave. Then they can do this work in the evening or whenever time presents. I take my sons out for however long I want with no negative repercussions. I am a dad that sits down and does homework with my kids so they never have skipped a beat- 100% straight As. My opinion is that kids will learn more in those two weeks hunting with their dad than they will in 3 months of school... take him hunting and don't look back. I know he won't.

okielite

Banned
Jul 30, 2014
NW Nebraska
Take him as long as he wants to go. Missing 5 or 10 days of school is no big deal IMO. He will remember that hunt more than 2 weeks of school anyway.

2nasty4u

Mar 27, 2014
nd
I'd say 2 weeks, some families go on vacation to florida or wherever else people decide to go and are gone for around that length of time

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
The hardest one for me convince would be my wife. I will save this thread for future use hopefully. I am jealous of the trip. Two weeks hunting would be a blast.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My Dad took me out of school when I was 12 again at 13 to go deer hunting. Our family did a wilderness packin hunt in California every year. We went in for a week and I took 7 days out of school. The agreement was that I had to make up all the missed work and get B's or better, which I did. Got a forky the second year. Did not get to go again until I was out of college because I played football and couldn't take the time away.High Sierras1953 #2.jpgHigh Sierras-1954.jpg This was in 1953 & 54.

I would say do it, but with similar conditions like my Dad gave me.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
If your dumb your dumb, if your smart your smart. 2 weeks of school isn't going to make a dumb person smart. My point is 2 weeks of high school will not make or break your son. Take the boy hunting, he will do what it takes to make it up.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Now that was FUNNY Timber!!!! HAHAHAHA:D

Take him hunting! Dont worry about what other people think about it. I bet he will learn alot more in that 2 weeks going to Colorado then he ever could in a year of school!

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
I agree 100% with all the great opinions so far.

This is a great motivator for his schoolwork and a great opportunity to spend some outstanding time with family!!!!!

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
There is a lot of great points here and it looks like a unanimous agreement to take your son hunting.

I hope to be in a similar position in 10 years or so when my daughters get older. My take on this is if your son has earned it by keeping his grades up and out of trouble (and it sounds as if he has) then I agree that you should take him. 2 weeks of school will not make or break his academic career and the memories you 2 will share will be long remembered after he forgets what he was taught during those 2 weeks. My senior year was a joke in high school and I felt that they more were done teaching us anything and more were just wanting us to graduate at that point for the statistic.

Good luck and have fun.

PointsHunter

Jan 19, 2014
Singapore
I want to be with the majority on this one... But on the fence. I have a 4 yr old and literally can't wait to get him in the field. Looking ahead 10+ years I would want to take him out of school... But two weeks is a stretch. As much as I would want to do two weeks... I think one full "9-day" week. Ok... I'm a nerd...

I agree with "if he's smart - he's smart" and that he will remember the hunt a heck of a lot more than those two weeks of school... But I think this is situation dependent. If he's borderline scholarship then tough one... That 1st semester senior year is last stamp on scholarship applications. If he's solid grades and going to college - I think go. If graduating and not sure what's next - I think go.

Just checked on my wife's opinion... She said go!