selling your shed horns???

dying to kill

Aug 20, 2012
oklahoma
lol thats good stuff, horn much easier to yell than antler..
She's a black lab, a little over a year old. I hope OH doesn't get mad at me, but when she was learning to find them, I'd yell "Go find a horn!" I guess she's not smart enough to know the difference.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
good advice old hunter. its so much fun for the dog they catch on fast. mine was a labrottie. big beautifull dog, built like a rot with the markings and size but nose tail and ears were all lab. those dogs will be thier own unique breed one day. best dog ive ever owned. people were scared of her though cuz she looked like a rot but no mean bone in her. will be getting a chocolate lab here in next few weeks. and u aint kidding old hunter, i fell asleep in cab of truck a few springs back and woke up with several nice buck sheds and a full hind quarter of a winter killed elk in back of truck, haha. bones are are bones.

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
I've trained both my dogs to get sheds. My yellow lab seems to like the spike elk horns the best. One year he brought one to me and I took it and then he ran and got the other one. Lol I had more spikes that year than anything. My mini Aussie is obsessed with sheds. The only problem is he finds an elk horn and can't carry it in his mouth because he's the size of a football. He usually gets mad and sits and barks at it, which works for me!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
ha, i can picture it now jen! im hitting river bottoms for white tail sheds when i get off at 4 this eve.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Probably 75%. There are some there from Colorado, Wyoming & Texas too. I also have a couple of good ons in the house on the wall.
Going back to the Sierras again in September (D7) to spread some of my Dad's ashes.....yes I'll be hunting too! Does kinds gripe me to pay for a NRes lisc & deer tag, but what the hell I know the country well and just might get me another bigun. Want to catch a few of the Piuite Cutthroats from there too.
CC,
Late reply. Don't get on Forum much anymore but I think Ca. Non Res fee's aren't as high as other states . Most likely because not many non res want to hunt here... Great black bear and blacktail up north but nothing compares to hunting the eastern and western Sierra's , as you know my friend. You have to do it only once to know what we are talking about. A noble idea to take your father's ashes there . I've already showed my son where to take my ashes and it wasn't in Ca. ... God speed your father to the happy hunting grounds.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
CC,
Late reply. Don't get on Forum much anymore but I think Ca. Non Res fee's aren't as high as other states . Most likely because not many non res want to hunt here... Great black bear and blacktail up north but nothing compares to hunting the eastern and western Sierra's , as you know my friend. You have to do it only once to know what we are talking about. A noble idea to take your father's ashes there . I've already showed my son where to take my ashes and it wasn't in Ca. ... God speed your father to the happy hunting grounds.
You are right about the NR cost, but I still have to buy a license too. Last time I was there, the trip cost me about $1500. It will probably be around 2K this time. But of course the reasons are very different. One thing I'll get to do is catch some of the Piute Cutthroats that era there. It will be a big family affair with 8 to 10 of us in camp. I know a couple of spots way above timberline that in past years have held some great bucks. Tough to get to, but I am planning on hunting them all, as this might well be my last chance to do it. Lots of gym time and hiking this summer getting ready.