selling your shed horns???

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
lol i was listening to a hunt/fish talk show a few months back and they got to talking bout horns vs antlers it was quite comical to hear some of the people get bent out of shape cuz others were saying horns. in my opinion reindeer have antlers everything else that drops em have horns. plus it flows better, "man look at the horns on that brute" i believe if i used the term antlers in deer camp i mite get mistaken for a city boy!!
Lol! I am the same way! I always call them horns. It just flows better. Not to mention if I called them antlers it would ruin all the "horny" jokes. It never fails that I post on Facebook I found a horn or two and like 5 people correct me.

I have quite the collection of shedded horns , and dont really do much with em maybe a bit of decorating at times other than that jus like to go threw em at times and keep adding to the collection. I understand i have a small fortune if i wanted to sell em, jus dont seem rite to me tho , i feel there worth more than dollar signs to me, others think im foolish. Whats your thoughts? do yal sell yours? feel the same way? or other, please share!!
Sorry I'm not using proper forum lingo. Perhaps you should let your dictionary decide. Antler, horns, drops who cares anyway? Can't we all be friends? Sorry for my opinion , what were we talking about here anyway?

dying to kill

Aug 20, 2012
oklahoma
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say you meant to respond to old hunters quote about horns not dropping!!
Sorry I'm not using proper forum lingo. Perhaps you should let your dictionary decide. Antler, horns, drops who cares anyway? Can't we all be friends? Sorry for my opinion , what were we talking about here anyway?

dying to kill

Aug 20, 2012
oklahoma
lol didnt think about that one it would be a joke killer for sure
Lol! I am the same way! I always call them horns. It just flows better. Not to mention if I called them antlers it would ruin all the "horny" jokes. It never fails that I post on Facebook I found a horn or two and like 5 people correct me.

dying to kill

Aug 20, 2012
oklahoma
lol didnt think of that one it would be a joke killer for sure

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
Just busting some chops as I said, but since you brought it up. What do you think the difference is between a horn, and an antler?

This has nothing to do with forum lingo, but just how it is.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Hey CC. How many of those are your Sierra Monsters ! Nice ! Maybe Mulys247 will post my garage pics. Best ones are in the house on mounts though.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Hey CC. How many of those are your Sierra Monsters ! Nice ! Maybe Mulys247 will post my garage pics. Best ones are in the house on mounts though.
Probably 75%. There are some there from Colorado, Wyoming & Texas too. I also have a couple of good ons in the house on the wall.
Going back to the Sierras again in September (D7) to spread some of my Dad's ashes.....yes I'll be hunting too! Does kinds gripe me to pay for a NRes lisc & deer tag, but what the hell I know the country well and just might get me another bigun. Want to catch a few of the Piuite Cutthroats from there too.

Last edited:

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
big money!!!! ive been a shed hunter for several several years, and pay for all of my yearly hunts and equip with the money from selling. a set of trophy sheds will get a a large sum of money, the smaller ones i make knive handle out of and then sell them. had a shed hunting dog for a couple years and thats was the most fun one could have.the sure are neat but when i see a huge set sitting in someones garden rotting out it drive s me mad:cool: to see that money just turning to compost.

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
I'm not a trophy hunter at all, and when I do get a bull. I just leave the antlers at the kill. I figure some hunter, or shed hunter will find them. What am I missing dollar wise? What would a 5x5 or 6x6 be worth as an example?

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I let my 1 year old Lab have most of the ones I found last fall. I am looking forward to taking him out this spring to see if he finds any.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
jenbickle you got robbed out of your 400 rack. fast 600 is hard to turn down though but you coulda got 1g-1500 for those. moose antlers is where the mula is though. and trophy whities. headed out in morn to do some glassing:) alot of taxidermist will take your smaller sets, 150-170 range for deer, make mounts of them and sell the heads. antler design places will pay upwards to 15$ a pound. auctions are the way to go though. i did ebay for a while but you just dont get the moneys worth on there.... then packing those things to ship is no cheap nor easy task.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
As I previously stated, I give all my sheds to my lab pup. She rewarded me today by bringing a new shed home with her from her daily jaunt behind my houseimage.jpg

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
jenbickle you got robbed out of your 400 rack. fast 600 is hard to turn down though but you coulda got 1g-1500 for those. moose antlers is where the mula is though. and trophy whities. headed out in morn to do some glassing:) alot of taxidermist will take your smaller sets, 150-170 range for deer, make mounts of them and sell the heads. antler design places will pay upwards to 15$ a pound. auctions are the way to go though. i did ebay for a while but you just dont get the moneys worth on there.... then packing those things to ship is no cheap nor easy task.
Lol I knew I could get more but he was a good friend. I wanted to go look for moose or whiteys this weekend but our weather is not permitting.. Haha. I've never done the auction route... Usually sell them to the horn buyer for $10 a pound. Hope you find some tomorrow!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
10 below zerow right now, 5 for the high. thnk im staying home stalking the fire today:) anf fink..... that dog will bring you more fun now than you can imagine possible. hikes through the woods will take you to a new level. that rocks man. what kind of dog do you have?

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
10 below zerow right now, 5 for the high. thnk im staying home stalking the fire today:) anf fink..... that dog will bring you more fun now than you can imagine possible. hikes through the woods will take you to a new level. that rocks man. what kind of dog do you have?
She's a black lab, a little over a year old. I hope OH doesn't get mad at me, but when she was learning to find them, I'd yell "Go find a horn!" I guess she's not smart enough to know the difference.