Savage Axis/Ruger American.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I didnt think anyone was really beating up the 243, just saying Im pretty set on getting her a 243. My 243 will be with me till I die too! 30-30 will get the job done, the antelope I shot with mine in 2013 made it about 2 steps before he fell over:D

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
I would not get a Remington 770. I haven't owned one but I've heard nothing good about them. With Remington get nothing but a 700 or model 7. Personally I wouldn't buy any Remington right now, as I've heard their quality control has gone downhill, and you just don't know if you're going to get a good rifle or a bad one.

I would probably take a real hard look at the Marlin that someone mentioned previously. I've read nothing but great reviews on that gun. The Ruger American would probably be okay. My brother has one in 7/08 and so far he hasn't shot any decent groups with it, but to be fair he's only tried on factory load. I don't care for the stock or the detachable magazine, but that's what you get with an inexpensive rifle.

The Savage Axis is another rifle I wouldn't consider due to the negative reviews I've read on it. The Savage 10 and 11 would be very good choices. I believe the only difference between the 10 and 11 is one is a short action and one a long action.

Another one I would look at is the Howa youth model:

http://www.legacysports.com/hogue-youth-2-n-1-with-scope-package

I'd probably lean towards one of the American made guns just because I prefer to buy American made, when possible. But the Howa is certainly a quality rifle worth consideration. It's the barreled and action as the Weatherby Vanguard. Which, speaking of that, is another great choice:

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard_2/youth

I've got two daughters, 7 and 9 years old, so I will also be in the market in the near future for a good youth rifle, and I will also be going with the 243 Winchester.

dead river

Mar 20, 2011
NC
yea i am gonna take my 35 yr old .243 on my next goat hunt myself. actually the post earlier got me digging around a little on the options for loads that are offered these days.... gonna have to play a little with it this spring.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I appreciate the Rem 770 feedback and i will cross it off my list. I would not get her a 700 without changing the trigger after the recent lawsuits and personally having 1 go off on me. I dont think the difference in the Savage 10&11 is sort and long action because I was looking at a 10 and 11 and both were in 243.

dead river, your 243 is almost new, mine was made in 1956! LOL!!

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
770 is about like those H&R single shots, made with cheap in mind instead of accuracy. Have a model seven youth 243 and a 700 adl in 243 that shoot well. Used those quite a bit as I got older even because I didn't feel like carrying my boat anchor 300wm along with my climbers.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
770 feedback- My wife was given a 770 in .243 as a Christmas present. My buddy won it at banquet. It has its pros and cons like all the cheaper guns out there. My wife really liked that it has the removable magazine. The real negative to this gun is the way the bolt feels. It just feels loose. That said, we are getting 1" groups with factory Remington ammo. The gun shoots really well. She shot her antelope last year with it and her brother used it to take 2 deer last year. It doesn't compare in feel to the Savage I bought her but I like it a lot better than the Axis I owned.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Will throw in my $.02. I have a Model Seven in 260 Rem. Stainless and Black. I do know that nine different hunters have killed their first deer with it and I couldn't count the deer I have killed with it. Very dependable and accurate. I have passed it down to my oldest grandson and two bucks have already been killed by him with it. I still can't understand why Remington stopped producing this combo. Anyway I think the Model Seven is a great investment. BTW if you go with the H & R single shot be sure and let the rifle COMPLETLY cool between shots when sighting in. I wasted two boxes of shells before I figured this out. I don't have any experience with the other rifles mentioned.

Bought an Axis in 308win for my wife, ok really for me to experiment with. Did my own trigger job which helped out immensely. Best factory ammo for me was federal gold medal match 168 grain. Gave me some cloverleafed 6 shot groups but holds a consistent sub MOA group any day. I shoot it out to 700 yards with the crappy factory Bushnell and have settled on a hand load with 165 grain nosler ballistic tips. I chose the axis because the floating bolt head seamed to make sense to me and I've heard good things about savage button rifled barrels. I have friends with the Ruger American in 243 and they shoot decent also. Good luck, I don't think you can beat it for the price.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
What is the difference between a 7 and 700? I have no experience with the 7 but it looks alot like the 700 from the pics I found.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
They're basically the same. The 7 is just lighter and more compact.
Is the 7 a youth model? I dont really want a youth model because I dont want to get her something she will grow out of in a few years and the lighter smaller guns usually kick a bit more.