Release

firebeck

Very Active Member
Sep 5, 2012
Southwest Idaho
I recently bought a Bear Encounter and am switching to compound after shooting a recurve for a while. Just couldn't get my groups down to where I felt comfortable hunting with. My question is about a release. I am on a budget so a Carter is out of the picture for right now. I have shot Scott and Cabelas. I like the Scott one I shot but never found out which model it was. I found a Scott shark on Ebay for $46. That is about my price range. Any other suggestions or thoughts? Kinda leaning toward Scott of some sort but not sure which model. I know I want a buckle strap. Open to all ideas. :eek:

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
A release is one of those items where 20 bucks or so makes a difference (IMO).
Went through a lot of cheap ones until a friend loaned me his.

I shoot Scott exclusively as well. Currently shooting a wildcat but I had a mongoose but lost it.
I just found a new Scott Wildcat on Amazon for $45 w/free shipping.
Almost bought it…….:)

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I also shoot a Scott lil goose and carry one for a backup though I have never needed it. I am not a Velcro fan and this release comes with a buckle wrist strap.

sodaksooner

Jul 7, 2014
If you want a carter, look on the Archery Talk classifieds. Always seems to be a deal on used ones. I can't help with others. Have shot Carters exclusively for 15 years. Guys will buy them to try out and not like them for some reason and sell them.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I found me a Scott Silverhorn on Ebay for $31!!! Shot with it Saturday and love it!!! Thanks for all the info again.
You'll love that release. And that's a good price too. Some of my friends were intimidated by the "hook" instead of calipers. I prefer it. Once you get used to it (took me all of 5-10 shots), you'll really like the clean release it offers. I decided to "upgrade" to the Rhino XT, which is also a hook style release. It does have a nicer trigger, but overall its really not worth the price difference over the silver horn. That's why I kept my SH as a backup too. Congrats on the purchase, you'll be a Scott release guy for life I bet!!!

Firefighter44

Feb 6, 2015
Washington
Ditto with the Scott! Love mine. But it's all about confort. Go to a range and shoot your bow with a bunch if releases. The range/shop I go to allows you to try them out before you purchase.