Party Hunting....thoughts?

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Its legal and common practice here in Minnesota, and I don't like it one bit. Theres no reason for one hunter to fill tags for the whole party. One hot doe in an area can lead to the demise of many bucks. Its a big reason we have so few mature bucks.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
illegal in idaho. as it should be. if you can't shoot yer own deer ,you don't deserve one

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
If its a cow tag or a doe tag I would have no issue with party hunting, if it was legal in idaho. For those big families wanting to fill freezers fast it would be ideal. Try shooting a buck or bull and ask me to tag it id laugh and say good luck.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
That is one of those cultural things that were acceptable in some states, and may be difficult to change. MN allows party hunting, but I know that the DNR doesn't much care for it but doesn't want to open up a shit-storm by trying to change it. I believe that you can still hunt deer with dogs in some southern states, but if you tried to allow that in states where it never has been allowed, all hell would break loose.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Its black and white. It either legal or illegal. Rules are rules and I support all forms of legal hunting and fishing regardless of method of take.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
Its black and white. It either legal or illegal. Rules are rules and I support all forms of legal hunting and fishing regardless of method of take.
Spot on. If it's legal and you want to do it, have at it. My morality has nothing to do with it.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I think of 2 different things when I hear the term. The obvious one where people in camp can shoot other people's game is not one I care for. However, we used the term in Wyoming for elk camp- It meant that any meat taken during the hunt was split up evenly between everyone. If we shot 4 elk between 8 guys, everyone goes home with a half an elk. It was nice because everyone took home meat, even if they were unlucky that season.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I'm sure those who live in states where it is legal see nothing wrong with the practice. They'll say "it's the way we've always done it."
Some people just don't have ethics.
We are no longer subsistence hunting where our families would starve and neighbors as well if we didn't shoot their animals for them.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I agree right there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The days of needing to feed a family with the annual deer harvest are gone. If you are really that hungry sell your rifle and hunting gear and buy a fishing pole and go fishing.

I have a friend that does this every year. His father in law who is 94 purchases a elk and a deer tag every year and while he does still get out into the hills my friend is usually the one that shoots the elk and deer for him. I once told him that if I was ever with him and he did this that I would turn him in. I also know of hunters that have the idea that they need to drop everything that they see that is legal to shoot and then find tags for the animals later. But then these are the same hunters that feel that they need to kill something just because they have a tag to do so. They can't believe it when I pass on animals just for the idea of trying to find something larger. They always tell me that if I shoot it they can find a tag for it and that I can keep hunting.

Needless to say I haven't hunted with these people in a long time.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
And all the comments focus on moral relativism, not law or impacts on conservation.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Seems all comments focus on big game hunts...what about bird hunting?
It's the same with bird hunting, or fishing or what ever other activity that requires a license and a tag.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell just who pulled the trigger on a bird when others are shooting at it, but at least they all are shooting at it and not sitting back in camp waiting for someone to come get them to tag one.

As for the law if it is not legal it isn't legal. If you are allowed to do it in your state then by all means go for it.

As for conservation, if there are X amount of tags offered and the department that is issuing the tags expect a 40% harvest rate it could affect the herds or flocks when the harvest rate comes in at 80%. I saw this once in Utah after a heavy snowfall. The area usually had a success rate of around 30%, well that year it jumped to over 90% with a lot of very mature bucks being taken. The next few years that area wasn't even worth looking at much less hunting.

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
I'm sure those who live in states where it is legal see nothing wrong with the practice. They'll say "it's the way we've always done it."
Some people just don't have ethics.
We are no longer subsistence hunting where our families would starve and neighbors as well if we didn't shoot their animals for them.
Ethics and morals are two different things...

If party hunting is legal in a certain area and party hunting is the method of take used then "ethically" the rules were followed.

"Morally", one can have a personal objection to party hunting because they judge right and wrong differently.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Ethics and morals are two different things...

If party hunting is legal in a certain area and party hunting is the method of take used then "ethically" the rules were followed.

"Morally", one can have a personal objection to party hunting because they judge right and wrong differently.
Those that are ethically and morally challenged don't see the problem. Just like crazy people don't know they're crazy.

MTHusker

Apr 22, 2013
Thanks for the comments, interesting. I did not think about someone just sitting at camp. People I hunt with are all actively involved with hunt. In my mind I was thinking of bird hunting, pheasant, grouse, huns, waterfowl and deer hunting where driving animals is common. Post are correct, some will always abuse the system. I really do not have a problem with it as long as all are actively partaking in the hunt to be honest. I have been out times, when the birds never seems to flush my way, other days, just the opposite. I figure in the end, every thing evens out.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
Many variables here, like said above. Us as hunters need to support whatever is legal and stick together. For example if the person is out hunting and only has limited amount of time and says " I want some venison to make sausage if you get a chance to take a doe please do" don't see a problem, but if they don't participate than that's a problem.
And same with fishing, if 2 of us in a boat and my buddy catches his limit of walleyes and I can only catch one, don't see anything wrong with letting him catch a couple for me, you bought the lisence. But there are people that get greedy and abuse that also. I seen on the warden show ( maybe Michigan, or Montana, not positive) 2 people in the boat and 2 limit's, guys get a ticket because the one guy caught one over his limit. Not sure if I agree with that 2 people 2 limit's, if both have liseces, does it matter if one guy caught him a fish?? Just my .02

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
But then the law is the law. If I catch 3 fish when the limit is only 2 I have broken the law, even if I give you to my partner who has only caught 1. The law is the law and if they are watching you then you deserve a ticket if you brought 3 into the boat and gave one to your fishing buddy.