Packing Elk...

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I love to elk hunt, I prefer to pack deer :)

I've packed way too many elk by myself. The biggest leverage comes from having just one more person to help (half the trips).

I usually figure 5 loads on an elk done gutless with leg and shoulder bone in. For me a two mile pack by myself is at the limits of what I ever want to do again (20 miles in and out).

Last edited:

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I agree with UH my last bull came out in 4 loads, should have been 5. It was only .75 miles so the last trip was hind quarter and head horns. That pack was 124# I weighed it when I got home that day. I was 340lbs with the pack on. Legs were very wobbly! I did have help that day and we switched the head back and forth. If I had to do it solo I would have left the head for another trip.

Last edited:

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or

For anyone who hasn’t dealt with an elk yet it’s as much about time as distance. I shot this bull at 7:00 am on a warm September day. Even though it was only 3/4 of a mile from the road it still took me and two guys 10 hours to break it down and pack it out. It is steep where I was with lots of deadfall to navigate, no trail. Many place I hunt I don’t plan on getting an elk out in one day when I am hunting. Shoot it, break it down and spent the next days packing. If weather is cool I take my time and just enjoy it. If it’s warm I keep my hunting close enough to get the meat out in the same day. I almost always have one or two helpers on call. Also, I’m no expert, I only get to pack elk every so often. It’s not an annual experience for me and I’m not a beast like many on this forum are. I’m just a guy who gets lucky now and then.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
I've got less than a half dozen packouts under my belt. If its more than a mile, everything is getting boned out. Anything more than 2-3 miles and I'd have packers or not pull the trigger.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I've packed out, or helped pack out a total of 8 Elk, not an expert, but starting to figure out what things works better than others.
I packed out my dad's 1 1/2 old cow Elk 2 years ago completely deboned, about .5 miles from the road in one trip, it was fairly flat, so not a big deal.
My brother and me took his spike about 3/4 of a mile one way in one trip deboned.
I had help with one cow, and a spike, they both came out in 3 pack loads.
The rest I have had the pleasure of packing out entirely on my own, everyone of them has taken 3 trips. From about 1 mile to the farthest at 3.3 miles.
I take the tenderloins, back straps, and deboned front shoulder on the first trip. Second trip I take a deboned hind quarter, (If there is a head to come out I take a whole deboned front shoulder also, if no head I take a half deboned front shoulder. Third trip is a deboned hind quarter, with either the head, or a half a deboned front shoulder.
Many will think I'm nuts, but I find more enjoyment in the pack out than any other part of the hunt, the harder it is, the longer it is the better. Don't know why, but never once have I shot something, and thought well now the work begins. It brings a smile to my face, and I think now the fun starts.

Elk.jpg
Last trip this year, 1 hind quarter, and the head...

Last edited:

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I use horses if I can but have packed most out without them. Usually it's 2 or 3 of us and we pack the elk out in 4 or 5 loads. Each hind quarter is a load, head, cape, and loins is a load, and each front quarter is a load. If it's just 2 of us I will usually take both front quarters in one trip to save going back.

Here is a pic from my first elk when I was younger and dumber. I got smarter after that trip. Wearing all cotton and strapping the head on like I did it wasn't the most enjoyable experience.

IMG0244_itA_003.jpg

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I have a couple of crazy pics. There is one of Brandon that may be up on the Eberlestock website somewhere.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
four loads sounds about right .on a big bull rack and cape are a pretty darn good load on their own.

I have packed out cow elk in only two trips but at 50 doubt I still could.least not if it was more then a mile or so.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I use horses if I can but have packed most out without them. Usually it's 2 or 3 of us and we pack the elk out in 4 or 5 loads. Each hind quarter is a load, head, cape, and loins is a load, and each front quarter is a load. If it's just 2 of us I will usually take both front quarters in one trip to save going back.

Here is a pic from my first elk when I was younger and dumber. I got smarter after that trip. Wearing all cotton and strapping the head on like I did it wasn't the most enjoyable experience.

View attachment 20520
Defying laws of physics never works well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
One thing that I think is a huge help is trekking poles. I can't believe how much they help, I'll never intentionally pack an animal it without them.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
May sound weird to some....but there are times I like the packout just as much as the hunt.
Depending on the season determines the "getting the meat out method we use......and I like to have options. Numbers in camp drive that plan also.

Aug/Sept hunts I keep at a minimum of 2 strong backs or two horses in camp.
Nov hunts allow more time to recover so I'm fine with just my self as I know I can make multiple trip with no spoilage.

Packing wise....as CODAK said "I don't give any bones a free ride on my back any more" ...these new "boned out" bags are awesome to maintain shape. With the stock we keep bones in to provide rigidity and tie off points.

2 fronts / 1 rear / 1 front with back straps and loins / 1 front with neck meat / head with back staps / loins.....those seem to be the norm of what we have on our backs.

Lastly.....trekking poles save my knees when loaded.....wish I would have used them a while ago.

meathunter

Jun 6, 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Ice sleds work great for me, better with snow on the ground. Usually 2 persons and try to hunt uphill so the sledding is downhill. Sleds work best if there are not a lot of deadfalls to go over. Packed 2 elk solo with balancing elk quarters over the shoulder and 2 others with horses, 10+ with the sleds. Also, I take a pack frame in the truck with the sleds, just in case. If no sleds with snow, long rope, ends tied to each quarter (better for snow, downhill, without a lot of shrubs, trees, etc.). Then put the rope around your waist and pull with your body. Never had to bone meat, use gutless though. The slimmer, plastic kid's sled seem to work fine.

Last edited:

BKhunter50

Jan 14, 2017
Canton, Mississippi
You guys have pretty well covered it. Two guys with two Llamas is a pretty good plan. Four trips is reasonable for an elk. I did a solo trip this year 4 miles in. In two full days I boned out the elk and packed it out by myself (3 trips). At the time it was tough and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do it - but I felt this is what I needed to do to make sure none of the meat spoiled. Looking back at it now - it was pretty fun but that's because I didn't twist an ankle and have any unfortunate events. Had something bad happened - I'd be calling myself stupid right now.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Ever since the 80s all the elk I have been part of have been packed out on our backs or on a sled. For 15 years all my trips were solo so if I Shot one it was 4 trips per animal back to the truck. I have been lucky the past 4 trips I have been showing a friend the ropes. So packing them out has been a pleasure. Danny and I did the marathon pack out a few years ago we killed 2 in 3 days and packed them out. Was interesting but nice having someone else there. I just feel it is part of the hunt and have never had a interest in pack horses. Though the older I get the tougher it gets

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I like it when they tell you how much their day packs weigh. It is usually in the 70 lb range until it hits a scale then it comes down to 30 or so if even that.

Back to packing elk, I have done my fair share of it. Usually the most that I'll pack is one hind quarter and no matter what it weights it weighs too much. I think that the most I ever packed up a hill was both rib cages off of a big bull along with the heart and liver. When I stopped with that pack I had a hard time getting going again.

And before anyone says that I should of boned it out, the person that I was packing it for liked to keep the bone in the meat. It adds flavor. I have to agree with him but when you can't walk up a hill with the pack it is time to lighten it up.