Packing Elk...

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
For many years I have prided myself on having the ability to pack elk, and do it solo if necessary. For most bulls this means multiple trips for meat alone and going back in after camp after the pack out etc.

This past year I knew my distance in was going to be greater than my general unit stomping grounds. So I enlisted the help of two buddies who were able bodied packers and one might argue that they were adventurous souls for even wanting to go with me.

After that trip my assessment is that 4 able bodied grown men is what it takes to make the loads "comfortable" from a weight perspective. Heavy is heavy not matter how you slice it.

So, what say you? How many guys do you use on elk packing trips? Are you a horse exclusive guy and don't care because your beasts of burden do it for you?

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Ideally, we have done two people, two trips. First is hind quarters, one a piece boned out. We always hunt with a pack large enough to fit a boned quarter. Then one person head/cape/straps, the other both fronts. We have had more and less people, so just depends of what all happens. Solo is where it gets fun! Three trips makes for a long day, especially when you're way off the grid! We've packed over 20 elk and deer and each time has it's own adventure, length and memories. I know personally, when I shoot an animal I prefer to have the heaviest load. Much higher sense of accomplishment vs. loading on a horse. But who know what I will be saying in 30 years... All I know is I didn't bone out quarters one year and I never gave 10+ lbs of bone a free ride again.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
For us since there are usually 3 of us it takes 2 trips for an elk.
As for those that claim to regularly carry 100 lb + packs, I'm sure there are some but most just know their pack was heavy and it sounds so much more macho to just say "it was at least 100 lbs!"
I've done it a couple of times when I was in my 20's and only know because they were weighed in at the processor. we packed out our deer whole, we weren't smart enough to just cut them in half. :p

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
I usually pack with one of my sons, this season I packed one bull by myself, good thing he was only about one mile up the mountain from closest road. I take everything, heart, lungs, liver, neck, ribs, not leaving much for predators. I also packed one cow elk with my wife this year, she was about two miles up the mountain. First trip I had rear and front legs, one side of back strap and tenderloin, that was very heavy load. I like late season hunting as temperature are lower and it is easier to take care of the meat.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
To answer your question- I use all available! If there are 5 of us in camp, all 5 go help. That said, the majority of our packs have been with 2-3 people making 2 trips. I agree, 4 is the magic number for a comfortable pack out (3 if you eliminate a big heavy set of antlers). My buddies in Wyoming are doing what CODAK mentions. They typically hunt in pairs and use large enough day packs to fit a large boned hind quarter or half a medium cow on the spot. That way they only make one more trip back for a big bull or no trips back on a cow.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I've been lucky on my last 2 elk (1 bull and 1 yearling cow ) that my son-in-law was with me both times. We do the gutless method on all game. On the yearling 2015 it was just me and him. After I shot he hiked back to the rhino and brought it around below the cow. We had our pack frames and made 1 trip out with the meat. He took both fronts and a hind quarter plus carried out the head. I had one hind the back straps and trim plus my rifle and day pack. Pack was probably 3/4 mile slightly down hill. On my bull hunt his best friend was with us and I had blown out my knee 6 weeks prior to the hunt so I could hardly walk down hill. I took out my pack rifle and trim and one front shoulder most of the way. His best friend hauled out 1 hind 1 front and the backstraps, the son-in-law had 1 hind and the head. This back out was about 1 3/4 miles mostly down hill but 1/4 mile down a steep steep hill. they helped me to the bottom of the step part and came back to get me ( luckily ) when I was about 1/4 mile from the rhino. Thank god for young kids LOL

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
I'm hoping to have an elk tag next year after several years of building points. I am planning on looking into having a horse/packer available if I kill one. I like to think I have gotten a little smarter as I have gotten older.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I would agree that 4 heavy loads is about what you will get no matter what on a mature bull. I never seem to have 3 other friends with me, so its usually at least 2 trips with a buddy if not more if im alone obviously...that being said, I use horses every chance i can get when it comes to elk hunting!

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Ive been lucky too and have always had others around. We will do a quarter per trip per guy. With the last load being loins, backstraps, and gear. So usually 6 trips.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I would agree that 4 heavy loads is about what you will get no matter what on a mature bull. I never seem to have 3 other friends with me, so its usually at least 2 trips with a buddy if not more if im alone obviously...that being said, I use horses every chance i can get when it comes to elk hunting!
Mature animals are always a pain...

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I like to keep loads around 75#. I have done 100+ on short packs just to get it over with. If I’m in for day two I keep it light.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
For me it's unsually 2-3 guys. But we are not as far back as you were. Normally 2-4 miles. I prefer lighter loads and more trips then heavy less trips.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
For me it's unsually 2-3 guys. But we are not as far back as you were. Normally 2-4 miles. I prefer lighter loads and more trips then heavy less trips.
If I can ever draw a tag where the elk live within 2 miles of the road or aren't 2500 feet above me I may be able to enjoy that luxury.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
The last couple bulls we packed out in Idaho we had 4-5 guys packing, it sure made it easier and nobody had to break their backs. However, in 2011 I pulled off my Nv. solo bull hunt in the Schell's. Killed my bull late in the season on a monday morning at first light and got the last load to the pick-up wednesday night. That hunt really tested my determination to succeed.