Packing Elk...

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I have packed 100# before, and it almost killed me. I don't think it would have mattered if I was still 30 or not. I don't doubt that some people can pack that much, but I don't think it is ever worth it to abuse your body that bad.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I know this is the internet and 100# is ALOT! Elk do vary in size so a big bodied bull can be very heavy. The bull I posted the pic from net 300# of meat no scraps were left behind and zero meat loss from the arrow. It also looked like the birds picked it clean when we left. I diligently weighed all the meat out of curiosity when I cleaned it all up. We packed the quarters bone in + cape and head horns. It would have killed me if I had to do it solo. Truth be known I would have likely left the rib meat, heart-liver and bones.

I have killed smaller bulls too. Three guys, one trip, no problem. Just the cape on a bull is weight that is left behind more often than not.

Last edited:

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
The worst pack-out I have done was one that a friend from the state we were hunting was in on. He was an outfitter for 25 years before selling his business. He told my buddy to shoot the bull they found, and he did, but neither knew the canyon they shot the bull across was a box canyon. None of us knew everything about where we decided to hunt that year. We packed the bull up and down through several side canyons before getting to a place we could cross the main canyon and get it to a place we could cut across to a horse trail and down. I had got my bull out the day before (with horses) and was on call for packing that day. Horses wouldn't have helped much on this one. By the time we reached the horse trail we were only a couple miles from the trail head. The resident called a few people to tell them where we were after we learned exactly what we were in for so that if things went wrong people knew where we were. The canyon was really loose walled and treacherous for footing. We got it done and the former outfitter said it was in the top 5 of worst pack-outs he had done. I had packed a couple trekking poles in when I met up with them with pack frames, and we cut a sapling to make a third. That pack-out wasn't possible without 3 points of contact on the ground at most times.

Honestly I don't regret a minute of it today. It definitely was a trial at the time, but it helped me gain confidence in what can be done with the right mind-set. We have killed a lot of late rifle season bulls in places they are late in rifle season because most humans aren't dumb enough to bother them there. Put one on the ground, put one foot in front of the other getting them out, and the pain ends eventually. Most of us are capable of more than we think we are.

Having a more experienced person along that time taught me a lot that has helped me be smarter in a lot of ways in years since.

I shot my best bull that year, a old 338" 6x6 with short tines but lots of mass and width. It was 7.5 miles from where we parked at the trailhead, but in a place accessible by horses with a little work. I had contacts made ahead of time for horse packing and I got my bull out with the packer while my buddy continued hunting. Just figured that was worth mentioning both because sometimes there is an easier way and because sometimes using outside help to get a bull out can help the guy who still has a tag make the best use of their hunting time. I know the money I gave the packer was well spent that year. I got my bull out without quarters going on frames and had a great time and learned a ton riding in with the packer and seeing how that whole process works. I have spend a lot of my life horseback on the ranch, but that is an aspect of hunting and horsemanship I had not been exposed to before. The education I got was well worth more than I spent.

As long as I am physically capable of packing a hind quarter out on my back I won't ever let the difficulty of the pack-out keep me from shooting a bull I want to harvest. That said, I don't feel the need to prove how tough I am anymore and will get him out the quickest and easiest way possible. I always hunt with the same friend and time we spend on packing my animal out is time taken away from his hunt or vise versa. We are definitely willing to do it for each other when the situation calls for it, but we are also both there to hunt. Good hunting buddies are hard to find partially because of things like this, I'm fortunate to have one that I have hunted with since we were both in middle school and continue to hunt with.

Last edited:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
"We have killed a lot of late rifle season bulls in places they are late in rifle season because most humans aren't dumb enough to bother them there."

Amen and LMAO...count me in then as really dumb. No problem admitting that :)

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
dont know how much the pack weight was but was glad to see the truck!!

Someone here once said something like this "Backpack Elk hunting is one of those hunts where you try to kill yourself but you always come back for more!!"

Last edited:

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Very true 25, I’ve also embraced the fact that elk hunting is work, deer hunting is fun. I also would say that pack you have on in the pic looks heavy enough for sure.
How many of you have nearly felll in your face once you take the pack off at the truck? Those first few steps empty can get you in trouble.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I take mine off on a slope at the truck and roll over then lay there!! When I get up I feel like superman doesn't even feel like I am walking!! Haaaa

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I've taken a lot of elk and helped a buddy pack one or two. I mostly pack out solo. I've been thinking about using the services of a packer but the problem is, I have some good hunting spots, I don't want them known. My thought is the packers will talk to the locals about packing out people's elk, and next thing you know you'll have people all over the area. I know my distance limit when it comes time to pack an elk out. I usually don't worry about deer. Most of my loads are 60-70lbs. I'm a small frame person and weight 150. I exercise 3-4 times a week so when it comes time to pack I don't get wore out. I think the main thing is have a good plan and know your distance limit. Also make sure you have a good quality pack frame that helps manage the load correctly. I'm 57 and hope to be dong this well into my late 60's or longer. Depending on my health I may have to hire a packer after that. I think packing super heavy loads can cause you health issues when you get older if your not careful. I know a lot of older hunters who had to stop elk hunting because they hurt there backs, hips,or knees and pushed themselves to hard when they were young and when they got older they paid the price. I agreed elk hunting is a lot of work once one is on the ground.

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
Max - no need to hire a packer, just take a new hunting buddy and have him help you *raises hand* :)

ppine

May 20, 2018
northern Nevada
Two mules is the best way to pack an elk. When I was younger I brought some. When I got older I would borrow some from friends. Now I am older and quit hunting. I like to hunt elk and eat them, but I no longer want to come out in the dark with those big loads. Too many busted parts from horse and mule wrecks.