Opinions on Arrow rests?

bz_711

Feb 21, 2012
IL
Would appreciate any opinions regarding favorite arrow rests for spot and stalk hunting out west?

I used prong style rests for years when only hunting whitetails from a treestand...in last year I've tried many rests (drop aways to whisker biscuit) trying to find the right one...yes, I'm picky.

Like for arrow to be held in place while stalking, quiet on draw, tunable/accurate. I've always had the "keep it simple" mentality which is one reason I haven't fallen in love with drop-a-ways yet and the moving parts...

Curious what others have used and why?

Full Draw

Mar 7, 2011
Spokane, Washington
You can't get more simple and problem free than the wisker biscut! Quick to tune and just as accurate as anything else, the only bad thing I've heard about this rest is that it rob's a few fps. But what is 3-4 fps when most bows are cranking out 280-320 fps?

beav906

Apr 18, 2011
Bend, OR
I shoot the trophy taker smackdown. It's not full containment but they have a new side load full containment that looks sweet I'll probably be going to. And the smackdown keeps up with the fastest bows, a problem I've had with a couple other top models

Nebraska Outlander

Sep 6, 2011
Spent a lot of time at the local archery shop and got to see a lot of different arrow rest and different perspectives of what people wanted. Me I prefer the Trophy Taker Arrow Rest always worked for me and I my groups shortened up quit a bit. The Whisker biscuit is too hard on the vanes for me but it is a good arrow rest if you don't shoot alot.

It seems like NAP makes a rest where it can be a drop away and a fixed rest if the drop away fails. Can't remember the name but might be something worth looking at.

If you want to "Keep It Simplie, Stupid" (Kiss) I would stick with the whisker biscuit.

Just my two cents worth!

Nebraska Outlander

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
In my humble opinion, if you are looking for a rest that will shoot well and great for stalking, I would go with either a Ripcord, QAD, or you could look at the Trophy Ridge Revolution. All are great fall away rests, and all have full containment that can be cocked in place.

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
The whisker biscuit is good and simple, but definately is hard on vanes. I always enjoyed its simplicity...but borrowed a drop away from my bro to "sample" and it is way more accurate and is simple too. I won't ever go back to the biscuit now bc of the accuracy difference.

Blackbear74

I've got a Trophy Ridge revolution on my Destroyer, and quite frankly, I love it. The arrow is held securely in place and it still is quiet. The equal best would be the QAD. I've got one if those as well. Had to send it away to get cleaned as it was sticking and wouldn't go all the way down. Great service though, no charge.

As for the Ripcord, great containment, easy setup, no containment on slow let down. Most people think that its no biggy, but I could see it costing me an animal eventually.

Limbdriver Pro-V. Easy setup, dead accurate. Even though it is said to be a containment style rest, the arrow is bouncing around in the "cage" when stalking. The arrow makes a lot of noise even with the felt stuck to the inside of the cage. Pass.

The rest I can't comment on as I've never had one. Good luck.

Sent from my "Galaxy".

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
I've got a QAD Pro on my new bow (G5 Prime), but I am switching back to the Spott Hogg Whammy rest on my old bow. Once I got used to it I fell in love.

bz_711

Feb 21, 2012
IL
I'm currently trying my 4th rest in the last year - still undecided which I will have come fall.
My experiences so far:
2 prong (TM style)PROS: IMO very accurate and very tunable. CONS: only con is the No containment and arrow falling off during stalk.
NAP Apache PROS: Rock Solid & Quiet. CONS: not what I consider full containment as arrow rolls all around in cage, did not tune to my liking
QAD drop-a-way PROS: true full containment. CONS: Plastic launcher and small launcher arm not as rugged as other brands.
Whisker Biscuit (currently trying) PROS: Very Simple, arrow does not move while stalking. CONS: slight noise on draw back, and mentally hard to overlook fact my vanes are dragging through the bristles each time - as I've spent most my archery life trying to avoid vane contact with rest???...but, so far it's had to not like the Whisker Biscuit - my last test for it will be long range accuracy at 60-70yds...if that checks out OK...Mmmm I'll have a decision to make.

Sometimes I have to tell myself I'm trying to find the best rest for that one shot at an Elk 4 miles from the road after a long day of banging my bow through the moutains...and not necessarily the best rest for shooting X's in the backyard the other 364 days a year. The good news is that they all are great rests - it's all about what gives YOU the most confidence when you head out.

Again - thanks for the replies - and any other opinions still appreciated!