Opening The Can Of Worms...Coronavirus...

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Holy crap. You are just sad.:confused:
I suppose you believe the world is flat, humans never landed on the moon and trump is awesome.
no . not sad . generally pretty happy. I don't run around with a silly grin on my face or anything but generally pretty happy. :D

I actually believe trump is a scumbag.
that said . I also believe he just might be the best president the U.S. has ever had.

the other two things you mentioned don't even deserve a response . I thought you were better then that.:rolleyes:

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I have some buddies that are pretty high up in the NCAA and can tell you for a fact those boys like no love the $$$ they make off the unpaid labor they have and would not have not left BILLIONS on the table and ended the hoops tourney for a "flu".. At this point that is a pretty silly and outdated comparison that is putting people at risk.

Moab Utah and the surrounding area closed national Forrest camping to anyone who does not have a in county residence on their drivers license. The can getting kicked around here in the mountains of Colorado is very close to the same thing and will pry become reality by May 15th.

At this point I would be very surprised if they did not close the national Forrest as these small towns just can not handle the influx of city people looking to "isolate" and with everyone seeming to want to go above 14k these days the SAR can not handle the number of city folk and tourist that have to be pulled off the hills every year. It is also becoming a problem already with the hippies coming up here to "isolate" already too much for USFS workers to safely deal with.

Will it change in time enough to scout in August for mule deer? Maybe but they are making the plans to cancel and restrict access until at least mid June most likely until the end of July and that is reality..

Reactions: Winchester

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
NY gov coumo just stated this morning on fox news channel that 34,000 americans died of flu in 2018.

think about that folks . 34,000 actually died and no mass hysteria . no run on TP . barely a peep in the news. few even noticed.
skip to 2020 and the sky is falling because some MIGHT die but very few have to date.

your right gr8bawana , it truly is very sad.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho

why no panic????????????

could be, because as tragic as these deaths are ,it is but a blip to a planet of 8 billion or so people.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Your figures say different things. One says last year 80,000 people died in the US. The next line says somewhere between 12 and 56 thousand. Both state the source being the CDC. I know figures vary but something is amiss.

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
I se.e... this points that LAST YEAR we had apron. 80,000. killed that is a lot. I guess it's like drinking and smoking. They both take a huge toll on our health care system and yet we are so used to it it doesn't get much thought.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Your figures say different things. One says last year 80,000 people died in the US. The next line says somewhere between 12 and 56 thousand. Both state the source being the CDC. I know figures vary but something is amiss.
yes. something is amiss ,alright.

corona is no where near as lethal to date , yet we are to believe it is the plague of the century.

what is really tragic is, the public has bought into the lie, all in.

Last edited:

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
yes. something is amiss ,alright.

corona is no where near as lethal to date , yet we are to believe it is the plague of the century.

what is really tragic is, the public has bought into the lie, all in.
I've been watching what I can, and reading credible sources. So far what they have learned about this specific strain is that it's about twice as deadly as the normal flu, and three times as contagious.
The only reason we haven't seen devastating numbers yet is from the precautions that have been taken so far.

Reactions: Winchester

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I've been watching what I can, and reading credible sources. So far what they have learned about this specific strain is that it's about twice as deadly as the normal flu, and three times as contagious.
The only reason we haven't seen devastating numbers yet is from the precautions that have been taken so far.

the numbers I've seen, simply don't agree with that assessment.

though I do agree more would surely have died by now without self quarantining,
I have to wonder what the death toll related to the precautions and fallen economy is going to be??????????????

I fully expect "the cure " will be much,much , more devastating then the actual illness.

at what point do the treatments outweigh the crisis????????

it is odd(to me)that as hunters we can grasp the idea of "survival of the fittest" in the animal kingdom but simply can not wrap our minds around it, when it comes to our own mortality. :D

Last edited:

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
You're very flip with other people's lives.

A lot of people die of flu every year, and it IS a tragedy. But we know a ton about the flu. For instance, we know that during the period you have frank symptoms (have a fever, etc.) you are infectious. And when those pass, you're no longer infectious. That means you can safely interact with others once your fever passes. And typically re-transmission rates are 1.3 people per infected person. (So there's a 33% chance you pass it on to somebody else.) Once you have it, the mortality rate is 0.1%. So out of a million people getting the flu, 10,000 die. A tragedy. But as you say, screw those people right? Survival of the fittest?

We do not know those things about Coronavirus. It is too new. But what we ARE learning is alarming. You can be infectious 3-5 days BEFORE showing symptoms of it, which is very troubling because you could be spreading it before even realizing you're sick yourself. That's new - flu doesn't do that. Further, if you do have it, statistically speaking you will infect 2-2.5 people. (So not only will you pass it on, you'll likely pass it on 1.5 times, not "maybe you will") That's not twice the retransmission rate of flu. On a percentage basis it's FIVE TIMES the rate. Once you have it, 20% who get it will develop serious enough complications to need hospitalization. That's TEN TIMES more than those who get the flu. And it's spreading so quickly that our healthcare systems are overwhelmed dealing with just the cases we're seeing so far - and it's only just arrived. Flu cases tend to be spread out over the course of the year. This is spreading all at once, too quickly to handle.

Putting a smiley face on your comments doesn't make them nicer, friendlier, or funny.

Attachments

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
You're very flip with other people's lives.

A lot of people die of flu every year, and it IS a tragedy. But we know a ton about the flu. For instance, we know that during the period you have frank symptoms (have a fever, etc.) you are infectious. And when those pass, you're no longer infectious. That means you can safely interact with others once your fever passes. And typically re-transmission rates are 1.3 people per infected person. (So there's a 33% chance you pass it on to somebody else.) Once you have it, the mortality rate is 0.1%. So out of a million people getting the flu, 10,000 die. A tragedy. But as you say, screw those people right? Survival of the fittest?

We do not know those things about Coronavirus. It is too new. But what we ARE learning is alarming. You can be infectious 3-5 days BEFORE showing symptoms of it, which is very troubling because you could be spreading it before even realizing you're sick yourself. That's new - flu doesn't do that. Further, if you do have it, statistically speaking you will infect 2-2.5 people. (So not only will you pass it on, you'll likely pass it on 1.5 times, not "maybe you will") That's not twice the retransmission rate of flu. On a percentage basis it's FIVE TIMES the rate. Once you have it, 20% who get it will develop serious enough complications to need hospitalization. That's TEN TIMES more than those who get the flu. And it's spreading so quickly that our healthcare systems are overwhelmed dealing with just the cases we're seeing so far - and it's only just arrived. Flu cases tend to be spread out over the course of the year. This is spreading all at once, too quickly to handle.

Putting a smiley face on your comments doesn't make them nicer, friendlier, or funny.
no. but it does convey the irony.;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

maybe I am flip.
I guess I just don't fear death the way most do. I just understand death is not always a curse ,it is often a blessing.

I understand I am supposed to quake in my boots and run around screaming ,the sky is falling ,while endevouring to make sure my backside is squeaky clean.:)rolleyes: :Djust for you) but this disease just isn't all that scary. the
the simple fact is , millions die every year from one thing or another . most(not all) who will die from the 19 are most likely gonna die within the next couple years any how.

but none of that is really the point is it?

how much damage to society and how many lives are going to be thrown away to save a few who will likely die soon anyhow???????
of coarse I understand such will never be reported on, so the question is mute.
but hey, least we all get to pat ourselves on the back for good intentions. ;)

Vinootz

Mar 22, 2020
Time will tell. I have never seen society shut down like this. It makes you wonder what is going on. Another issue will be
the terrible economic impact if it doesn't ease soon enough.

Reactions: kidoggy

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Is death inevitable? Yes, without a doubt.
What separates animals from humans? Compassion, mercy, grace, common everyday give a chit for someone you've never met.
I have a health young family, odds are if one of us got it, it would be very unlikely cause us much problems, heck I could have it right now as I type and have no clue.
If me not parading my dumb ass around in public for a few weeks doesn't get someone else sick and kill them so they can have a few more years with their spouse, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, great great grandkids, AWESOME!
If my retirement account looks ugly as heck for awhile, who cares can't take it with me.

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
I tend toward skepticism with the news media, because I have seen too many times where they misrepresent things to make a good story out of nothing. My initial impression was (as I posted earlier) that it was a big hype job. I am however open to changing my opinion as I see more evidence.

Here's something new that I have learned: Our county has two confirmed cases and it turns out that I know them. A couple that I believe is in their late 30's. They caught it on vacation in California. Both went to the hospital, the wife was released from the hospital after a couple days. She posted yesterday that her husband is still fighting for his life. I don't know if he has any underlying health concerns. Apparently their kids did not get it even though they were in the same house/car with them.

Does one example in my town mean that this illness is as dangerous as some believe? Or is it a statistical outlier? I'm not sure exactly what conclusions I can draw from this yet, but something to consider nonetheless.

I think that the best thing we can do is take common sense precautions and stay calm. Nothing good comes from panic.

Reactions: kidoggy

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
A few medical reports I have read lately are debunking the the 3-5 days early reports.

We have to be careful reading these graphs, every place is ramping up testing which in turn ramps up positive tests. What doesn’t get reported is the negative tests.

Reactions: marcusvdk

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
there was an atricle a few weeks ago I saw that claimed 49% of chinas tests were false positives. if I run across it again ,I WILL post it.

don't know if it is true or not but I suspect there is a very strong possibility it could be.

such would not be widespread reported though . why? because worst case scenerios play better.