Official Post Padding Thread

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Hey UH I was just curious, how much did the 1995 Stone sheep hunt cost? Just wanted to get an idea of the price increase over the last 18 years. Not that I'll ever be able to afford it. Just curious.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I have been doing more and more early season hunting in light weight hikers, but I often trash these out in a few weeks of hard hunting.
That was my problem going through a pair of boots every two years. I like the new insoles better than the stock insoles they seem to lock my feet in place a little better. Oh yea I forgot about the tongue lock. I have been doing the last lace under the tongue lock to keep it from shifting down and to the side. I ordered mine the same as my foot size and they were a perfect fit. In fact a medium weight sock and boot liner really feel good in this boot. I imagine you would get the same results with just one pair of heavy socks and no liner.
I also like the fact that they are uninsulated as this is a boot I will where pretty much all of the early season hunts. Ankle support feels good as well and they come up high enough in the back so they don't irritate the achille area above the heel.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Hey UH I was just curious, how much did the 1995 Stone sheep hunt cost? Just wanted to get an idea of the price increase over the last 18 years. Not that I'll ever be able to afford it. Just curious.
Don't quote me, but I recall it was $13K total to the outfitter. It was like $9K for the hunt, and a $4K trophy fee. I got flown into another area for my first 6 point elk for another $1K.

One thing I recommend to younger guys is to buy a house you can afford and pay it off. A 15 year loan is not that terribly much more than a 30 year loan. I got a fixer-upper on the river, remodeled it and landscaped it myself (sweat equity) and paid it off in 8 years. When you no longer have a house payment going out it totally frees up your lifestyle.

Last edited:

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
best peice of advise i;ve heard in this forum yet!!!!!

Thanks :) The other is money invested well into an IRA your first 12 years of your career, will have more value than the money saved the final 30 years of your career.

Work hard and knuckle down until through your mid thirties then you can begin to enjoy it.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I think I have it all figured out but you never know. I am in process of buying our retirement home in the mountains in Ca. My Co. is thriving and we blow the doors off of our business goals each year. The plan I am in rite I will be semi retired in 5 years with everything I own except my current home paid off. In the next 5 I will have my retirement home paid off. At that 10 year mark we will move to our retirement home with full bennys from UPS (where the wife works) and a comfortable living from my Co. until I turn 65. I am 42 now. I then will have the resources to take those nice full guided hunts with the wife and fallow our kids around and drive them nuts like they have done to us for so many years! Hahhahha.

I have to agree with UH you need to plan ahead and get the things you need not so much as to what you want. With good financial planning you can do it all even with not a lot of income.

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
My fingers are crossed as well! Putting our current investment home on the market in less than a week. Last appraisal we are up 200k with no comps in the area. The market is lacking homes at the moment and the stars are aligned for my dreams to come true. Were 26 and 25. Have paid off her grad school cash and should be able to make enough on this home to buy a very nice smaller home with lil to no mortgage. Hopefully all goes well and this transition is smooth and easy. We are ecstatic to move on to a hope of freedom. This home has been a nightmare. But with the minimal money and sweat that I can pyle into it it has paid off handsomely. Hopefully it goes quick!!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Thanks :) The other is money invested well into an IRA your first 12 years of your career, will have more value than the money saved the final 30 years of your career.

Work hard and knuckle down until through your mid thirties then you can begin to enjoy it.
So, you're saying that I shouldn't just bank on social security to retire on?

I agree with you on the IRA, compound interest is a beautiful thing. Every once in a while, I consider throwing a bunch of money towards my house, and try to pay it off early, but when I get to thinking about it, I just go buy a rental house instead.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Anyone get the new EHJ? Just wondering what people thought. 14 hunts featured 9 of them guided or private property. Can't wait for the public land DIY issue.
That caught my attention too. The first thing I look for is: anything from Oregon, DIY, public. I realize guided, private is still hunting but not what I relate to. By the way, I had no idea the more posts you have the cooler you are?? I've alway been kind of a looser when it came to popularity contests... You guys are funny, keep it up!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Good morning friends! It's going to be a long busy week! Suposed to hit 99 degrees this week! That means 15 hr days for me and the boys.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Driving since 3 am. Working out of town again. Meh!
I don't miss working out of town, I did that for many years. Its nice working 25 minutes from home.

Holy smokes 99 is hot, I don't know how you guys can stand that kind of heat for so many days of the year. We still had frost on the glass here last Thursday morning. IKIC your a smart man getting into the line of work your in!