Not what I expected

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
After months of planning and obsessing over the unit I thought I would be hunting in; I decided to check my draw report for Wyoming a few minutes ago. I didn't draw the unit I was planning on hunting that had very limited access, but instead drew my first choice unit by somehow beating the odds. I don't know much about the unit but I think the quota is much lower than the unit I was planning on hunting. So fewer animals may be seen, but access isn't an issue in this unit according to the website. Did anyone else draw for Wyoming antelope?

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
I drew unit 74-1. If I'm reading the odds right I had a 5% chance of drawing. Gotta start my research all over. Did you draw?

Lance_Van_Dusen

Sep 24, 2014
Lawson, Missouri
I'm in the same boat as well, somehow i drew unit 55. I haven't done any in depth research on it, I know there is a good size area of walk in only. Time to get busy all over again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stackem

Jan 26, 2017
Drew a buck tag: 47-1 and 2 doe tags: 43-6. Time to get with it. It'll be my first western hunt

gladen8

Apr 11, 2012
I drew 74-1 as well this year. I have never hunted it, but know it pretty well as I am an ex-WY resident. My resident buddy has hunted it the past 4 years as well. You can go out and shoot a buck in the first 30 minutes of opening day without a problem. More difficult to find larger/quality bucks in the area though and will take some digging. Lots of access, especially walk in areas. Good luck!

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
I knownoressure will be higher the first week, but would y'all recommend the first week or a later date?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I knownoressure will be higher the first week, but would y'all recommend the first week or a later date?
I like to go either opening day or several weeks later. If you have a big one scouted, opening day is the day to go. If not, later in the season is typically a more enjoyable hunt with fewer people.

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
I appreciate the advice. Luckily I can get there a day or two early and scout if I want. I might opt for later in the season though, so I can have more days to actually hunt. I checked the average weather for Wyoming in September, but would like to get a locals perspective if anyone is willing to share. Mainly just highs and low temps.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I appreciate the advice. Luckily I can get there a day or two early and scout if I want. I might opt for later in the season though, so I can have more days to actually hunt. I checked the average weather for Wyoming in September, but would like to get a locals perspective if anyone is willing to share. Mainly just highs and low temps.
Plan for anything from 20 degrees to 80 degrees. I have hunted antelope in tank tops and a couple years later in full winter gear during the same dates. Very unpredictable but in general plan for cooler mornings (45ish) with relatively warm afternoons (70ish).

Late September

My wife and little guy on the same dates a few years later

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
Hilltop is spot on. Unless you got a cranker and bed him for the opener, the last two weeks are way better

Warmutt

Dec 22, 2016
MN
Drew on my third choice in Unit 17. I'm planning on waiting until after the opening weekend rush.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
After a dozen or so antelope hunts in Wyoming, I'd highly recommend hunting later. Typically I go anytime after the second weekend of the season. You will have a far more enjoyable experience and plenty of quality animals to hunt.