Nice Bucks poached in Utah. How can we stop poachers?

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Not sure what is going on in my home state with poachers, but it seems there is a major poaching case about every month or so. In this one a really really nice buck and a another buck were both poached and left too waste. This occurred in some fields near a commercial warehouse area. So this wasn't even out in the woods or mountains, right off the roads/highway near structures.

As a hunter it frustrating because there is not really a whole lot that we can do on situations like these. Other than report any questionable activity or information in the slight chance that we see our hear something. Also to teach our kids, grandkids, and other younger hunters the right way to conduct and carry themselves.

If any else as any ideas about ways to help catch poachers I would be interested to hear them.

Just a super frustrating and sad story.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Problem is that you are not going to stop poaching, you might slow it down if you could get the courts to impose jail sentences instead of a fine and having to pay restitution. Even taking away their hunting rights for a number of years doesn't work since by their very acts it shows that they don't adhere to the laws.

Depending on where these bucks were actually shot I would be willing to bet that the poacher planned on going back into the area in a month or so to recover the antlers since they didn't take them with them when they shot the bucks.

And it just isn't Utah. This is also why Utah passed a law where you can not legally pick up a dead head without notifying the DWR and having them do a investigation on the cause of death.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
when one poaches they show they have nothing but contempt for their fellow man and/or the laws of society .

imo ,the only rational coarse of action is to execute the lawbreakers. type of execution (fast or sloooooow) could be determined by severity of the crime.
doubt it would stop poaching but it would certainly curtail it.

most find that to harsh . I do not!!!!

Last edited:

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Problem is that you are not going to stop poaching, you might slow it down if you could get the courts to impose jail sentences instead of a fine and having to pay restitution. Even taking away their hunting rights for a number of years doesn't work since by their very acts it shows that they don't adhere to the laws.

Depending on where these bucks were actually shot I would be willing to bet that the poacher planned on going back into the area in a month or so to recover the antlers since they didn't take them with them when they shot the bucks.

And it just isn't Utah. This is also why Utah passed a law where you can not legally pick up a dead head without notifying the DWR and having them do a investigation on the cause of death.
I’ve seen this happen before mostly in Ca. These guys will kill a buck in a different zone that holds good bucks but only have a OTC tag. They will either bring them out at night or go back during shed season and pick up the deadhead they just happened to stumble across.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Probably some 'high' individuals out running the roads. "Hey... Stop the car and watch this".
They may not even remember doing it. So very sad.

Reactions: kidoggy

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Until people/the industry stops making such a big deal over antlers, we will always have poachers of big bucks.

Some guys feel raped every time they see a monster buck dead out of season. Perhaps it is one less opportunity in their minds, even if they don't hunt that area.

The death of a deer by coyotes, wolves, bears, cars, etc. doesn't bother folks near as much as someone else shooting it. As a comparison - murder doesn't often stir the distaste that a trophy buck being killed out of season does. It is an interesting phenomenon.

Reactions: dan maule

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
poachers don't just kill for antlers .if antlers were worth nothing there would still be dirtbag poachers . sure it might help a bit but it would not stop poaching or even slow it down much.
many of the scumbags just kill to kill. doesn't matter to them what they kill so long as they get to kill. these people care about nothing but their lust being fulfilled .they care nothing about the laws of society. their existence should be terminated. nothing else is enough.