New Fire in Wyoming. Deer area 78 and elk area 110.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
New Fire started today. Thought I would get word out for anyone planning to hunt deer area 78 and elk areas 110. It's in the savage run wilderness currently but will likely have an impact on a good amount of this area.

Reactions: go_deep

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Just reading about this last night.
Took my boy to his quarterly appointment at the children's hospital in Aurora earlier in the week, roads signs in Colorado state fire ban in effect for the entire state. We went up last weekend here in Wyoming on the forest and it's still no open flame, only grills and propane cookers allowed.

6" of heavy wet snow would truly be a blessing right now!!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Update - This fire will also likely impact elk area 9 and deer area 76. They are evacuating the western edge of that region now in the Rob Roy reservoir area. Anyone planning to hunt the Snowy Range should check closures before travelling out.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Due to the heavy pine kill the area definitely needs to burn. Feel bad for anyone who hunters around that area, and especially anyone who has a moose tag.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem with beetle kill is that they are usually not the ones to burn. The green trees go up like a torch and while the dead ones will burn, in a fire it is usually just the bark and smaller limbs that get taken out. Then the big problem comes with the standing dead and no roots to hold them to the earth. Here in Colorado we had a number of hiking trails and even segments of National Forest closed down because of the standing dead trees with the possibility of falling over if someone sneezed too hard.

Reactions: Hilltop

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Evac ordered for Keystone area, Centennial is on pre evac notice.
It's bad and not going to get better soon. Closure extends all the way to Highway 130.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Just talked to Wyoming G & F and all holders of deer tags for Unit 78 will be notified by letter & email (if you have an email on record) of your options due to the closures and damage from the Mullen fire, which is still ongoing.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Little over 25,000 acres now and growing. The wind is very bad out there today and several small cabin communities are at risk in the next 24 to 48 hours.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Its blowing up right now...I'm sure well over 30K now.

Laramie air quality is pure crap and burned pine needles, etc. falling on the deck right now. Smoke is bad enough that you can see it between our house and the place across the street.

Looking SW toward sheep mountain from my house...normally I can see the snowy range clear as a bell.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming

We have a layer of ash on everything this morning in Cheyenne 80 miles away! I can't even imagine what it's like in Laramie, and the west valley right behind the fire. Last night they had the reported burned acres at 35,000+. And today is suppose to be worse.