New Elk hunting partner......

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
For this year!! I am excited but cautious about having someone elk hunting with me this year. I put the word out a few years ago that I was interested in having someone else hunt with me. It has taken a while but I think I have found someone that has has the passion for hunting like I do.
I have been hunting solo since my Elk hunting partner of 15 years passed away some years ago. It will be a change for me and have mixed feelings about it. I am looking forward to having someone else along for archery season. We will see how it goes this season. It has been tough trying to find someone that will have the drive and excitement about Elk hunting like I do.
Anyone else have a hard time finding another that is as passionate and committed about elk Hunting? :confused:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I have an amazing friend that is just as crazy about it as I am but life gets in the way... He owns two restaurants and has 3 kids. I work a full time job and have 2 kids... Very hard to connect on hunts or anything very often.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
25C - I've been looking for a good one for several years now. I hope it works out for you. Good luck this fall.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I've been lucky to have a few really good ones over the years. My brother and brother-in-law being two of them. These guys are super and amazingly team oriented and unselfish. I do my best to return the favor.Everyone will push their self to the limit. I will say I usually have to get everyone put in and make a plan, but from there on out everyone goes all out!

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Good luck 25, I get what you mean. Finding a hunting partner is tough, I do a lot of hunting solo too. I was planning on going to Wyoming solo this year, thankfully my younger brother decided he wanted to tag along. He's not real big into hunting, but we get along very well. I'm kind of relieved I have company on this trip.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
That's awesome to get a hunting partner that shares the same values and drive you do. I found one last year. We are going on our first elk hunt this year. It also helps that it makes it a little cheaper!

Retterath

Veteran member
Dec 24, 2013
South Dakota
hope everthing works out for you 25, i havent found a hunting partner yet to travel out west with me every year yet so i have been just hunting with my wife around the area i live, But would be nice to have a person that has such a passion like us for the outdoors to enjoy your hunting experience with. Good luck

fox30buck

Dec 29, 2011
PA
Happy to hear that 25C, I hope it works out for you both. I am starting to search as well, my long time hunting partners/mentors are getting up there in age and cant huff it around the mountains anymore. There seems to be a lot of good guys on here looking for hunting partners...hopefully we all get lucky!

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
It is definitely tough to find someone to commit especially when we will be gone for almost three weeks. I have talked with him and met with him a few times. I am going to have him over the house to go over the area gear lists etc in a week or so. He is very excited this being his first Elk hunt. That is a good sign. He has his license and necessary permits as well. When I talked to him I did not sugar coat the hunt as it is a tough one and not a easy place to hunt. I also mentioned that he will more than likely get his opportunity. This is a place I have hunted for many years and killed my far share of elk. I know it well. I like the comment about the spouse. My wife asked me if I thought it would work out as she really wants me to find someone to go. I told her there is only one way to find out!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Good luck to you 25. It's sure is tough to find the rite guys to hunt with especially when your hunting in your own honey hole and have them keep your secret to themselves. Trust in more ways then one can be hard to find.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I think that this is a big thing for me to get over. I do believe that the older I get it is not as much of a concern. We have talked about that and I feel comfortable in the trust area as he hunts pretty much on his own.I guess time will tell. He has been putting in for a few states but has had no luck in the drawings. This is a general tag so luckily he was able to get one after we talked a few times. This will also allow me to do a little more video which has been tough on solo trips over the years!
Good luck to you 25. It's sure is tough to find the rite guys to hunt with especially when your hunting in your own honey hole and have them keep your secret to themselves. Trust in more ways then one can be hard to find.

Engideer

Jul 16, 2013
Arkansas
Congratulations 25, I have had a tough time finding someone who wants to commit to a week and a half every year. I hope it goes well for you and that it is the start of a great partnership!

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Over the years I have done two weeks but since I am driving this year I thought it would be nice to take a little more time. It is tough to find someone to commit to that length of time. I guess I just like to take my time and enjoy the hunt. Driving just opens up some other options that I might not have otherwise.

xziang

Apr 4, 2014
Omaha
Congrats.. With the 3 weeks I can see that being a bit hard for a bunch of people. Finding someone with the drive and also the mentality to keep each other going can be hard at times. It is safer to have a partner even if it might be your wife/gf who decides to sleepin that morning back at the truck/camp. LOL

I'll more than likely be hitting it solo this year so might try out a new area. Already learned a rental car isn't suitable to get back to the spot I want to get to due to the roads.. oops..

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Congrats.. With the 3 weeks I can see that being a bit hard for a bunch of people. Finding someone with the drive and also the mentality to keep each other going can be hard at times. It is safer to have a partner even if it might be your wife/gf who decides to sleepin that morning back at the truck/camp. LOL

I'll more than likely be hitting it solo this year so might try out a new area. Already learned a rental car isn't suitable to get back to the spot I want to get to due to the roads.. oops..
I wish I could get my wife to go!! I have tried for many years. Her idea of the great outdoors is staying at the Marriott!! And she will tell you that! :cool: I love doing the solo hunts but there is something to be said about having someone else with you. It gives both of you more options.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I sure hope everything works out for you. I lost my hunting partner several years back and have hunted a lot solo since then. I am retired and don't have a problem taking all the time I need and that sometimes is a problem for guys I've hunted with who work. I also do a few guided hunts...solo because lots of my friends don't want to spend the money, but at 72 I realize my hunting days are numbered (like I hunt now) and really don't care about spending $$$$ for hunting!