New Elk hunting partner......

d.kerri

Sep 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I've only come across 1 fella who's personality, drive, excitement and priorities mesh well with mine. Oddly, it's hard to imagine going on a mountain hunt with anyone else...We've been in the outdoors together since we wore diapers.

I'm sure there are others out there who I could have a great time with- in fact, he has a few other guys he hunts consistently with- but there's something unique about our bond over hunting. One of the the things I'm most grateful for in life.

buckykm1

Dec 8, 2011
Vicksburg, MI
I am in the same Boat, my regular hunting partner is retiring, and it sounds like his hunting trips with me will be done for the most part.
with my Business, I only get to gun hunt Elk, usually the last 2 weeks of October, maybe a few days into Nov. depending how the season falls. I DIY hunt, and have all the Camping gear.
I will be hunting with a new partner in 2015, but am still looking for someone like me, that is interested in doing it every year, I am 61, and figure that I have at-least 10 years left yet.
my Wife doesn't like me going out west alone, so I have hopes of finding a new long term hunting partner, ideally from the Michigan area or a close by State.

Kevin

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
hunted a long long time before i found a guy willing and wanting to hunt how i like. not afraid of the boggie man:cool: only down fall is he is a cowboys fan.... ha

bigbulljoe

Jul 13, 2014
That's great that you've found a hunting partner - hope everything works out!!
I have an amazing hunting partner in my son (and my wife and daughter joined us for a very successful spring turkey hunt this year) but with school and sports, they are really limited right now in what kind of hunts they can commit to so out of state/province/country hunts with them are out of the question right now.
I completely understand what a few of you have mentioned about finding a hunting partner with the same level of drive, commitment and experience that also has the means and support to travel away on hunts that (most importantly) you get along with!!
I have a couple friends that have all those qualities but they just aren't in a position to make the trips right now for one reason or another. I did have a friend tell me the other day that he is interested in going after Elk, so will have to see if anything comes of it.
If not I am going to plan a solo DIY to Colorado for Elk this fall or next depending on if I draw a moose tag here at home or not.

Joe

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
hunted a long long time before i found a guy willing and wanting to hunt how i like. not afraid of the boggie man:cool: only down fall is he is a cowboys fan.... ha
This right here!! One of the first thing most people ask is " Is there anything out there that will eat me!!" I am honest and say "Well yea!!" :cool:

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
My new hunting partner is 17 years old and one good hunter. He has slipped up on a grazing elk and shot it with his bow. This year my hunting partner of 44 years ( that's a long time) and the 27 year old are going with me to hunt out of state for deer. Health issues are forcing us to gun hunt and do it as easy as possible. We do some strange looking hunting, like setting up in the open by a little dead end two track that some hunters use. The hunters are very nice and usually stop to say they are sorry for driving thru our set up. We don't really use cammo and the deer don't seem to mind. Our shots will be from 200 to 400 yds. Deer usually stop to look before going down into an arroyo, that provides a stationary target within easy range. This is done with proper scouting and understanding the pattern.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Update**

Well things are looking up with the new hunting partner. He has been to the house twice which is about 2.5 hours away from his home. He is very motivated and has been training and shooting everyday. He came by today and we spent about 3 hours going through everything from food, clothing, and even pulled out the topos to look at. He also picked up some things that I have duplicates of for the trip. Im impressed and it its nice to see him so motivated. Counting it down right now and wont be long till we are on the road. Looks like this year there wont be someone backing out.