New crossbow

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I just bought a new TenPoint Titan M1 crossbow even though crossbows never appealed to me in any way. But, I have a bow hunt for WY elk in 2022 on the docket, and my compound bow is becoming painful to draw due to shoulder issues. I had bought a left handed bow years ago because of a shoulder injury to my right shoulder. I am right handed, but fairly ambidextrous for gross motor skills, and am left eye dominant....tried both sides at a pro shop, and never regretted the choice. Anyway, I was at the local Gander Outdoors store where they were closing out of guns, ammo, and many of the other hunting related items (another good store ruined by corperate buy-outs) Guns - 25% off, gear - 50%, plus an additional 10% for Good Sam members. I have a year to figure this thing out.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have a friend in WY who will pack me into the mountains near his ranch where I have shot 2 cow elk and a lion so far. In WY, if you draw the general season tag, you can just pay an extra $75 (or so), to hunt the archery season. He told me that the locals hit the area pretty hard once the rifle season opens and that my best chance at a bull in during archery. I am looking at this as an extended time in the mountains, with a comfortable camp, and no timeline. If I don't tag, I can just morph into the rifle season. 6 weeks to 2 months sounds about right. Of course, I could screw up the whole plan by shooting something the first day.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
60% off from the list price, ended up at $412. Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse had them listed for about $10 less than the original price., so Gander didn't jack up the price before the closeout. Arrows, soft case, wax, lube, war heads, all -60%. The gun rack was pretty well cleaned out, but they still had 2 Browning Citoris, list around $2.3K. I should have bought both of them just to resell them later.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
60% off from the list price, ended up at $412. Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse had them listed for about $10 less than the original price., so Gander didn't jack up the price before the closeout. Arrows, soft case, wax, lube, war heads, all -60%. The gun rack was pretty well cleaned out, but they still had 2 Browning Citoris, list around $2.3K. I should have bought both of them just to resell them later.
That's great! Glad you got a great deal.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Always enjoy a good sale.

Back in 2017 the Gander near here went belly up and had close-outs. Bought a lot of stuff there - best was a pair of Pronghorn boots for $40 or $60 and a pair of Gander knock-off for $10.

As for the X bow - You should enjoy it. I bought a Centerpointe Sniper for about $200 and that thing will hit bolts at 50 yards. Trigger is diff from a rifle but it is what I'd use if I was gonna archery hunt an elk.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I've shot the bow and adjusted the scope. I can't say that I have bonded with it yet, but at 20 yards, I can't shoot at the same bullseye without risking hitting another arrow. There is definitely a learning curve, but it doesn't appear that it will take as much to learn as when I first bought a compound bow.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Always enjoy a good sale.

Back in 2017 the Gander near here went belly up and had close-outs. Bought a lot of stuff there - best was a pair of Pronghorn boots for $40 or $60 and a pair of Gander knock-off for $10.

As for the X bow - You should enjoy it. I bought a Centerpointe Sniper for about $200 and that thing will hit bolts at 50 yards. Trigger is diff from a rifle but it is what I'd use if I was gonna archery hunt an elk.
I have a centerpoint sniper as well. I think I paid $250 for it but still consider it a bargain.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I have a centerpoint sniper as well. I think I paid $250 for it but still consider it a bargain.
The CP Sniper deserves the credit it gets. Not a bad for the $. A little while behind the trigger and suddenly you are slinging the arrows of death! LOL!

Hope your season goes well.

Reactions: IsLA

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
I have a Wicked Ridge I bought on clearance about 3 years ago that I really need to get sighted in. I have a friend that wants my boy to come thin some does down for him with it

Reactions: IsLA and RICMIC

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I did a short writeup on the General or elk link , but I'll update here too.
I took the new Titan to WY, and managed to "screw up" my master plan by shooting a bull with it on the first day. It was a spike, but have learned to not pass on an opportunity when it is presented to you, especially when your freezer is empty. It turned out to be the best eating elk that I have killed, while the cow that I got during the rifle season was the toughest, and became hamburger, sausage, and jerky.
I used Tooth of the Arrow broadheads, and got a clean pass through at 45 yards. Double lunged, and he only went 30 yards before dropping dead in plain sight. It's the first critter that I have killed using archery/crossbow, and was amazed at how much damage those broadheads can inflict.

Attachments