New crossbow

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I just bought a new TenPoint Titan M1 crossbow even though crossbows never appealed to me in any way. But, I have a bow hunt for WY elk in 2022 on the docket, and my compound bow is becoming painful to draw due to shoulder issues. I had bought a left handed bow years ago because of a shoulder injury to my right shoulder. I am right handed, but fairly ambidextrous for gross motor skills, and am left eye dominant....tried both sides at a pro shop, and never regretted the choice. Anyway, I was at the local Gander Outdoors store where they were closing out of guns, ammo, and many of the other hunting related items (another good store ruined by corperate buy-outs) Guns - 25% off, gear - 50%, plus an additional 10% for Good Sam members. I have a year to figure this thing out.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have a friend in WY who will pack me into the mountains near his ranch where I have shot 2 cow elk and a lion so far. In WY, if you draw the general season tag, you can just pay an extra $75 (or so), to hunt the archery season. He told me that the locals hit the area pretty hard once the rifle season opens and that my best chance at a bull in during archery. I am looking at this as an extended time in the mountains, with a comfortable camp, and no timeline. If I don't tag, I can just morph into the rifle season. 6 weeks to 2 months sounds about right. Of course, I could screw up the whole plan by shooting something the first day.

Reactions: Winchester

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
60% off from the list price, ended up at $412. Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse had them listed for about $10 less than the original price., so Gander didn't jack up the price before the closeout. Arrows, soft case, wax, lube, war heads, all -60%. The gun rack was pretty well cleaned out, but they still had 2 Browning Citoris, list around $2.3K. I should have bought both of them just to resell them later.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
60% off from the list price, ended up at $412. Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse had them listed for about $10 less than the original price., so Gander didn't jack up the price before the closeout. Arrows, soft case, wax, lube, war heads, all -60%. The gun rack was pretty well cleaned out, but they still had 2 Browning Citoris, list around $2.3K. I should have bought both of them just to resell them later.
That's great! Glad you got a great deal.

Rich M

Oct 16, 2012
Always enjoy a good sale.

Back in 2017 the Gander near here went belly up and had close-outs. Bought a lot of stuff there - best was a pair of Pronghorn boots for $40 or $60 and a pair of Gander knock-off for $10.

As for the X bow - You should enjoy it. I bought a Centerpointe Sniper for about $200 and that thing will hit bolts at 50 yards. Trigger is diff from a rifle but it is what I'd use if I was gonna archery hunt an elk.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I've shot the bow and adjusted the scope. I can't say that I have bonded with it yet, but at 20 yards, I can't shoot at the same bullseye without risking hitting another arrow. There is definitely a learning curve, but it doesn't appear that it will take as much to learn as when I first bought a compound bow.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Always enjoy a good sale.

Back in 2017 the Gander near here went belly up and had close-outs. Bought a lot of stuff there - best was a pair of Pronghorn boots for $40 or $60 and a pair of Gander knock-off for $10.

As for the X bow - You should enjoy it. I bought a Centerpointe Sniper for about $200 and that thing will hit bolts at 50 yards. Trigger is diff from a rifle but it is what I'd use if I was gonna archery hunt an elk.
I have a centerpoint sniper as well. I think I paid $250 for it but still consider it a bargain.

Rich M

Oct 16, 2012
I have a centerpoint sniper as well. I think I paid $250 for it but still consider it a bargain.
The CP Sniper deserves the credit it gets. Not a bad for the $. A little while behind the trigger and suddenly you are slinging the arrows of death! LOL!

Hope your season goes well.