MT results are out. Drew my Mtn Goat.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Got lucky in the MT draws this year, drew a bridgers 393 mtn goat tag.
tried to look up outfitters, couldn't find any for goat/393.
debating guided/diy, might be mandatory diy if that's the only option.
also archery vs rifle...
also not sure about opening day vs later in the season/longer hair? but when is too late/snow/weather?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I noticed the MT mtn goat season is sept1-nov27...

anyone have thoughts on hunting those mountains those months? long hair vs first crack at goats vs. weather?
I would assume lots of snow up high by Oct/Nov...? but maybe I'm mistaken?

PS- anyone see a problem with a .270win w/130gr for Mountain goat?
also have a .243win, 300win.mag, 340wby,

PPS- Who does one contact in a unit, wildlife manager? game warden to gain info on animals etc...?

also thoughts on spotting scopes?
I have a cabelas alaskan guide scope I think it is...? 20-60x 65mm,
I'm not sure say a vortex viper model would be a huge improvement/help for me on this hunt vs what I have? also 65mm vs 85mm? I think the total weight diff is about 1lbs, so say 4 vs 5lbs in your pack....?

Last edited:

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I noticed the MT mtn goat season is sept1-nov27...

anyone have thoughts on hunting those mountains those months? long hair vs first crack at goats vs. weather?
I would assume lots of snow up high by Oct/Nov...? but maybe I'm mistaken?
I did. Bridgers 393.
Wasn't in my plans to.
debating diy vs guided, couldn't find any registered guides for goats in unit 393 Montana.
also strongly considering bow.... vs rifle.?

Reactions: gonhunting247

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I would personally hunt early simply to have better weather. Goats are pretty easy to spot when there is no snow! No real help to offer but congrats on the tag!

Reactions: HuskyMusky

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I helped a buddy on a goat hunt when i was living in AK. He shot the goat at the top of the mountain, it kicked into an avalanche chute and slid 2000 vertical feet until it piled up in the brush. good times!

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
From what I recall that is one of the top goat hunts in the state, if not the very best. Congrats! There are most likely guides for such a great area. You might start your search here: Montana Outfitters and Guides Association

As for timing, I would go in September. Like Hilltop said, they will be way easier to spot before any snowfall. Winter-like conditions can come early in that country.

I would reach out to both the biologist and the local warden/wildlife officer. I bet they will both have a unique perspective, and you could gain valuable insight from both of them. Just call the region 3 office to get their info.

Good luck!

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
Congrats on the tag!

How much time are you going to be able to set aside for your hunt? If going DIY, it might be a good idea to plan for two trips. Will you be making a scouting trip this summer, or will you be you like me on out of state hunts and use your “scouting” days once season starts?

I shot my MT goat with a 30-30 out of a 10” T/C Contender that I took as back up to my bow so I think the 270 would be fine. If the goat is in an area where you don’t want it to get to a cliff, make
sure to try for an anchoring shot. I shot a bighorn in what I thought was a safe spot. The sheep looked like it was on a relatively flat bench. “Relatively” is a relative term, however. Everything around the sheep, except where it was standing, was really, really steep. The sheep dropped in its tracks and then started sliding, and then rolling, and then disappeared. It got hung up a few hundred feet down the hill, no worse for wear, but had it missed that one tree, the results may not have been good. You do have to evaluate what the terrain is like below the animal, before the shot.

The hair will be much better after mid-October, but as others have stated, problems with snow can be more likely later in the season. Don’t forget that snow can be a problem on opening day at the higher altitudes.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Congrats on the tag!

How much time are you going to be able to set aside for your hunt? If going DIY, it might be a good idea to plan for two trips. Will you be making a scouting trip this summer, or will you be you like me on out of state hunts and use your “scouting” days once season starts?

I shot my MT goat with a 30-30 out of a 10” T/C Contender that I took as back up to my bow so I think the 270 would be fine. If the goat is in an area where you don’t want it to get to a cliff, make
sure to try for an anchoring shot. I shot a bighorn in what I thought was a safe spot. The sheep looked like it was on a relatively flat bench. “Relatively” is a relative term, however. Everything around the sheep, except where it was standing, was really, really steep. The sheep dropped in its tracks and then started sliding, and then rolling, and then disappeared. It got hung up a few hundred feet down the hill, no worse for wear, but had it missed that one tree, the results may not have been good. You do have to evaluate what the terrain is like below the animal, before the shot.

The hair will be much better after mid-October, but as others have stated, problems with snow can be more likely later in the season. Don’t forget that snow can be a problem on opening day at the higher altitudes.
trying to figure out if when I can scout....this summer....or perhaps august...., not sure when I'll hunt....sept...oct... or year perhaps just take more time to hunt and scout in the same trip.

Reactions: BAKPAKR

Mr Nice

Feb 14, 2020
Congrats and good luck!

I shot my goat on Kodiak with a 280, 2 shots next to each other in the shoulder and he still walked off the ledge making for a sketchy recovery. Assisted with a goat hunt in WY where it was taken with a 6.5-284 and never got out of its bed.