Moving Out West?

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
From a pure hunting standpoint look for low population states as there is a big difference in competing with 1 million residents for tags, vs 5+ million. Places like Montana, Wyoming, and New Mexico have advantages over Colorado, Utah, and Arizona for example simply due to population.

Also depends on species. If you love antelope then Wyoming is the place. If you like long elk/deer seasons then Montana has advantages.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS RIGHT HERE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If I was looking at a place to reloacate Alaska would get a real good looking over.

Salt water fishing, fresh water fishing, salmon, halibut, OTC moose tags, and all the rest that it has to offer.

I would have a hard time working.

2peterhunter

Jul 5, 2015
I would be in Sheridan wy, salmon Idaho, or Bozeman. You can get tags every year in your local state and hunt the other two within a short drive!

hoshour

Veteran member
Bozeman would be my choice in Montana. Durango or Colorado Springs in Colorado, Laramie in Wyoming. There's a lot to like about small towns but I've gotten spoiled by the amenities of slightly larger places, especially college towns. They just seem to be more vibrant.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Mid-size town in either Montana or Wyoming would be my choice. Then you're driving distance to Idaho, Colorado, or any other western states that may interest you. Consider family/friends when traveling back home and how often you may do this which may influence how far west you consider relocating. Of course, a lot depends on employment.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
A lot depends on your chosen profession. I am a retired aerospace research engineer and that really limited my job location choices. I made enough $$$ that I could afford to hunt out of state, lucky in that respect.

Good luck in your search, lots of good advice here.

hoshour

Veteran member
Mid-size town in either Montana or Wyoming would be my choice. Then you're driving distance to Idaho, Colorado, or any other western states that may interest you. Consider family/friends when traveling back home and how often you may do this which may influence how far west you consider relocating. Of course, a lot depends on employment.
That's why it's great to have a really portable job. I can work anywhere I've got internet and phone. My wife was a nurse for years and she could also work just about anywhere.

You might as well take advantage of the freedom while you can. When you end up with grandkids, if they live close by they'll steal your heart and you'll want to stick around there as much as you can.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
With the schooling you have dont forget to look at federal agencies. Lots of different jobs with great benefits and the ability to transfer and move up. No matter what you hear you won't get rich but at least you get some good vacation time. Usajobs lists all open jobs by state