Moving Out West?

IowaBuck

Jan 15, 2016
Iowa/Wyoming
I'll be graduating in the August of 2019 from college and I'm looking at possible states to move to (from Iowa). I know most people don't like sharing information with others...but what's hunting like in your state out west?

I've been hunting in Wyoming, Idaho, South Dakota, and Colorado. I wouldn't want to live in Colorado or Wyoming and know lots about hunting there. I lived in Wyoming for almost two years. However, I don't know a lot about hunting in Washington, Oregon, Utah, Idaho (Besides Black Bear), Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, or Montana. I'm looking for opinions from residents or non-residents about hunting/living there.

I don't hunt waterfowl, upland game, or fish much.

Thank you for any input!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
If the move is to hunt.....then it boils down to hunt opportunity for the resident hunter. I think you will be hard pressed to find a better state with more options than Colorado........I'd do an economic comparison versus public land available versus realistic scenario to hunt the species you want every year. That's what I did. Add in the fishing, upland game hunting etc etc.....hard to beat. But it sounds like your mind is made up Colorado doesn't fit the bill.

hoshour

Veteran member
There is so much difference between most of those states in climate, culture, cost of living, trophy quality, ease of getting drawn and such, it's pretty hard to help you without a lot more information.

When the list is that wide open, you probably should do more of your own research and narrow it down, both in the number of states and more about what you're looking for. There's also a ton of difference between Seattle and Spokane, Boise and Coeur d' alene.

There's a fair amount of difference between Colorado and Wyoming, two great states from a lot of perspectives, so it would be good to know why you wouldn't consider either. Those would be two of my top three, along with Montana.

Also, what species are most important?

Last edited:

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I dunno man, this will be a different perspective from a middle aged man:

Move to where there's a good job in your field. You'll learn more and help jump start your career and earning potential to support you and maybe a family, if that's in your plans. The hunting will come. The toys will come. To be clear, I'm not saying its all about money, cause its not. Just saying that with a good job and career come good things in time.

Peace. [emoji111]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

IowaBuck

Jan 15, 2016
Iowa/Wyoming
What is your degree/profession choice?

How do you feel about mormons? Hipsters?
A great friend of mine is a Mormon who ranches in Wyoming. Don't mind hipsters, deal with my fair share of them at college.

I'll graduate with a B.S. in Agriculture with Emphasis in Food Studies and a Minor in Natural Resources and Conservation. I have an Associates of Arts with a focus area in Agriculture Business. I have sales, farming, guide, and retail experience. I know the conversation is broad and "out west" isn't a very great description.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
From the perspective of a 61 year old retired guy - don't waste your time chasing the bucks or the career. I retired for good in my mid-50's, it was the smartest thing I've ever done. I bought in to the dogma of chasing the dollar and career and pretty much spent the last few years of my working career hating the job and my life. What's more, I found out that I quit the career, move to lower cost of living state, and work at a gun store and have a much more enjoyable lifestyle with far less stress.

But in your situation, with your education, I'd recommend finding which state you like best and then seeing if you can get a job with the state Game and Fish or federal Forest Service. You could easily make enough money to live comfortably in either case and as your career advances you will make good enough income to be comfortable - making a 6 figure income isn't all that it's cracked up to be if you hate your life.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
A great friend of mine is a Mormon who ranches in Wyoming. Don't mind hipsters, deal with my fair share of them at college.

I'll graduate with a B.S. in Agriculture with Emphasis in Food Studies and a Minor in Natural Resources and Conservation. I have an Associates of Arts with a focus area in Agriculture Business. I have sales, farming, guide, and retail experience. I know the conversation is broad and "out west" isn't a very great description.
Then it sounds like you can pretty much look across both time zones as you seem flexible enough to deal with the subtle and not so subtle differences there are. For agriculture jobs there are certainly pockets but there is not a lot in some areas so that may help take some areas off the list if that is the industry you want to work in.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
From the perspective of a 61 year old retired guy - don't waste your time chasing the bucks or the career. I retired for good in my mid-50's, it was the smartest thing I've ever done. I bought in to the dogma of chasing the dollar and career and pretty much spent the last few years of my working career hating the job and my life. What's more, I found out that I quit the career, move to lower cost of living state, and work at a gun store and have a much more enjoyable lifestyle with far less stress.

But in your situation, with your education, I'd recommend finding which state you like best and then seeing if you can get a job with the state Game and Fish or federal Forest Service. You could easily make enough money to live comfortably in either case and as your career advances you will make good enough income to be comfortable - making a 6 figure income isn't all that it's cracked up to be if you hate your life.
'Ram,

Good points; to be clear, my advice is not about focusing on high incomes or chasing $$ at the expense of stress or pursuit of happiness. More about getting some good jobs early in your career, in the field you studied; giving things that fair chance in your chosen career of study.

Early in my career, I worked at a major aerospace company in Los Angeles for a short time. What many would consider not the optimal hunting and fishing situation. Yet, I loved my job, learned a lot while there-stuff I still use today; and, actually found some hunting and fishing opportunities despite the smog and movie stars.

FWIW, I'm 45 now; and hope to retire in my mid-late 50s to have more time with my large family. Plan is to consult part time in my professional field as supplemental income.

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Team.....I'm pretty sure he was asking about " hunting" :)

The young man is gonna have to make money at a job ......to get vacation time to .....hunt :)

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Here's a thought, suggestion whatever you'd like to call it. If I were starting over I'd find a job that could train me in something that I could use to start my own business. Don't care how much it pays, don't care where it is. Invest 5-10 years into it, then move on to your own thing. If you have a successful business, hire and pay well, they'll never have issue going when and where you want.
California isn't the heart of western hunting, but it has a huge amount of agriculture, plus the weather and scenery isn't bad either.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
If I was making the move strictly based upon hunting, I'd move to Wyoming. Excellent over the counter tags for deer and elk, with the opportunity to draw some very easy high quality tags. And, I hear they have a pretty decent antelope population. I think for the resident, Wyoming opportunity just can't be beat.

I gave serious consideration to Cheyenne or Laramie. Close proximity to the Denver metro area, where my company has an office, so I could go in a day a week or so, but still far enough away to gain some of the benefits of living way outside of the big city.
I may be wrong, but I'd bet that real estate is a darn good investment (albeit a longer term one), in that area, as The I25 corridor creeps north.

Montana would be a close second - again, tons of OTC opportunities, they have a point system for residents, so you'd be behind the 8ball for the primo tags. There's some pretty cool cities in MT to live in.

Idaho and Colorado probably round out your good opportunity states. After that, you're looking at states like NV, UT, AZ and NM, that have very difficult draw odds, and limited (if any) OTC opportunity. I don't know much about WA or OR, other than the fishing is pretty awesome on the coast... So I'll leave that alone.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
or win the lotto:)

I keep trying.

To the OP, if I was in your shoes I would look at Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana for the ease of getting tags. I moved to Colorado 33 years ago when 99% of the big game tags were over the counter and enjoyed it until they decided to do the draw on just about everything after a very hard winter. You just never know what the future holds when it comes to big game tags, with more people wanting them and only so many animals something has to give.

Now if you can find a good paying job in your field in one of those states you should be set.

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to leave Iowa? It is a huge agricultural area, the hunting is crazy awesome and your not that far from these out west states you want to hunt? Is it the resident vs non resident tag thing or what? Im in central WI and its a 15 hr drive to the bighorns, you must be around 9 or less depending on where you live in the state. That's a short drive. Just my 2 cents.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
I agree, and I'm sorry if I led a movement away from the topic but my point was to follow your dreams rather than the money. I recommend that the OP use his education to gain a career that allows him to work in the environment that he'd like to recreate in. Get a government job that allows you work with game management and he'll have the best of all situations.

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
I don't know why a big game hunter wouldn't want to live in WY. No other state in the lower 48 holds a candle to WY for resident big game hunting opportunity.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I got dropped in colorado when I was 16 and couldn't be happier. I could transfer with my job but have no desire to do so.

Hunting is great here and every other western state i hunt or fish is within a 14 hour drive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk