Major Forum Updates Coming!

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Are you on mobile or on desktop? Top right I see that I have two notifications and next to it is the PM. I haven't had any issues getting into mine, but will gladly help you trouble shoot.
I'm on a older ipad. My little envelope and bell are on the left side. When I try and touch it it just keeps bringing up the what's new area. My stuff looks really clustered over on the left. I don't know that I have a new pm just had a bunch of old ones with good info from members that I hope didn't get lost in the switch.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I'm on a older ipad. My little envelope and bell are on the left side. When I try and touch it it just keeps bringing up the what's new area. My stuff looks really clustered over on the left. I don't know that I have a new pm just had a bunch of old ones with good info from members that I hope didn't get lost in the switch.
Look at the image, tap the mailbox and see if your messages are there. Let me know if they are not.

Attachments

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
If you do this it will take you to the last post in the thread if you click on the first response. Then you have to backtrack up the thread to the first one that you haven't read. If there have been 20 post since you last read the thread this can become quite activating trying to find out what they are talking about.

Also if you read all the post in the "What's New" area they don't disappear as most read post do in this type of area. They just stay there until they either time out or you "Mark Forums Read"
I clicked "what's new" then "major forum updates" and I went right to your post. It's the same software as Rokslide and Hunttalk. I don't scroll thru any threads; 2 clicks and I'm at the spot where I left off last time I was on that thread.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I clicked "what's new" then "major forum updates" and I went right to your post. It's the same software as Rokslide and Hunttalk. I don't scroll thru any threads; 2 clicks and I'm at the spot where I left off last time I was on that thread.
Go to a thread that you haven't read for a couple of weeks and has a dozen different replys and then click on it.

It will take you to the last answer in the thread and not the the first unread answer or question

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Once you get used to this new format I am pretty sure you will like it. One piece that I am excited for is the change that we were able to implement in the advertising. We are able to still meet obligations and spread them out a bit more though. Giant ad at the top gone, much more standard size banner will be in it's place.
Yea! those Elk are getting old! I think they spoiled by now. :cool:

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Look at the image, tap the mailbox and see if your messages are there. Let me know if they are not.
Thats the thing it doesn't go anywhere it just resets to the forum list. Just like I have a "2" in a red box above the bell. It won't take me to those post either. Might just be my iPad is too old?

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Go to a thread that you haven't read for a couple of weeks and has a dozen different replys and then click on it.

It will take you to the last answer in the thread and not the the first unread answer or question
Because It was different software, different cookies.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
But there is no reason that they couldn't option it to where it took you to the first unread post.

I am on a dozen different forums and have gone through updates and changes in the type of software that is used and they always set up a box to click on the edge of a thread to take you to the first unread post. Also if you just go to the forum where it says that there are new post and look at that forum there is no indication of new post unless you look at the time frame from the last post.

Very unfriendly for the end user.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Thats the thing it doesn't go anywhere it just resets to the forum list. Just like I have a "2" in a red box above the bell. It won't take me to those post either. Might just be my iPad is too old?
Does it look like that? I pulled out my 2011 model to see if that was an issue, appears to be working on it.

Attachments

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I kinda freaked when I saw the new format today, but I will have to say that the photo posting is a huge upgrade. I was sick of dealing with Photobucket and had pretty much given up on posting photos.
Photos are way better now. I have never liked the copy image address stuff.

Reactions: DH56

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
But there is no reason that they couldn't option it to where it took you to the first unread post.

I am on a dozen different forums and have gone through updates and changes in the type of software that is used and they always set up a box to click on the edge of a thread to take you to the first unread post. Also if you just go to the forum where it says that there are new post and look at that forum there is no indication of new post unless you look at the time frame from the last post.

Very unfriendly for the end user.
The new software is a clean slate. As you spend time in the different threads, your last position will populate across those threads. Give it a few days, this software will take you right where you want to go once it knows where you’ve been.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
In three days it hasn't yet. How many cookies does it have to deposit to figure out where I have been?

It is updates like this one that drive members away.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
The only thing in life that stays constant is change. Software especially. If I.T. doesn't make a few updates now and then, it makes it to easy for the Russians to hack us.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
maybe but ill bet your not going anywhere 😀
No I'm not but I have seen it on other forums.

The software is updated or the whole forum is changed like this one. The older or even the younger members that don't want to fight through or learn how to use the new forum drop out and or move to a different forum.

Just simple things like what I have been harping about such as a way to click on a single box that takes you to the last question or answer in a thread. Now you have to start at the last one and scroll your way back to the last one. Yes, it is doable and isn't difficult but it is annoying to have to do it that way.

Or how about the flags on the forums saying that there are new post but when you go to that forum and open it you have to go to the far side and look at when the post was made to figure out which one is new. What if there are 30 new post and you just want to scan them to see what is going on?

In this day of computers and being able to access information instantly having to fight a forum to see what is new or old just won't hack it.

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
No I'm not but I have seen it on other forums.

The software is updated or the whole forum is changed like this one. The older or even the younger members that don't want to fight through or learn how to use the new forum drop out and or move to a different forum.

Just simple things like what I have been harping about such as a way to click on a single box that takes you to the last question or answer in a thread. Now you have to start at the last one and scroll your way back to the last one. Yes, it is doable and isn't difficult but it is annoying to have to do it that way.

Or how about the flags on the forums saying that there are new post but when you go to that forum and open it you have to go to the far side and look at when the post was made to figure out which one is new. What if there are 30 new post and you just want to scan them to see what is going on?

In this day of computers and being able to access information instantly having to fight a forum to see what is new or old just won't hack it.
Ya i get it im not one for change but so far i like it the pic uploader works the last format sucked

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
A lot more scrolling for sure. Can't just get to things of interest quickly. Having to use my reading glasses a bit more as things seem smaller.
Mostly I'm just not popping in as much to check things out without a dedicated app to tap that sends me notifications
I'll adjust eventually

Reactions: Prerylyon