Live Chat: Gear for the Hunt!

Cc_hunter

Feb 27, 2014
Fort Worth
What would be your strategy when archery elk hunting new units? Do you search all day or only during the mornings and evenings, hoping for a bugle?

Thanks

Dedeye

Nov 20, 2013
North Dakota
I lied...one more question...I've been searching for a good spotting scope, but really having a tough time finding one I can actually see thru. Eye relief is a big issue for me on spotting scopes (but not on rifle scopes, go figure?!) Any suggestions? I've tried Vortex and Leupolds...no luck.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
What would be your strategy when archery elk hunting new units? Do you search all day or only during the mornings and evenings, hoping for a bugle?

Thanks
I usually do a lot of glassing during the prime times. Late morning and earlier in the evenings I bugle and try to get a reply. If its a new unit, I really try to do a lot of cruising checking out the country and looking for good areas that might be holding elk. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
I lied...one more question...I've been searching for a good spotting scope, but really having a tough time finding one I can actually see thru. Eye relief is a big issue for me on spotting scopes (but not on rifle scopes, go figure?!) Any suggestions? I've tried Vortex and Leupolds...no luck.
Try using a straight instead of angles eye piece. I actually prefer the straight. The angled can be hard to get used to for some guys. Look into the Zeiss or the Swarovski if you can. If not, the Vortex and Nikon scopes are very good at a lower price point. -G

Ken

Feb 27, 2014
Idaho
What sportsman's shows will you be attending this spring? Any chance Eastman's will make an appearance at the Bighorn Sportsman's Show in Spokane next month?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
What sportsman's shows will you be attending this spring? Any chance Eastman's will make an appearance at the Bighorn Sportsman's Show in Spokane next month?
Sorry not me. I will be at the ISE show in Salt Lake next month, and then I am done for the year. After that, you will find me on a rive somewhere chucking a fly at a hungry brown trout somewhere. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Try using a straight eyepiece instead of the angled. For some people, myself included the angled are tougher to use. -G

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Sorry not me. I will be at the ISE show in Salt Lake next month, and then I am done for the year. After that, you will find me on a rive somewhere chucking a fly at a hungry brown trout somewhere. -G
Is Fred Trueblood coming to Spokane again this year? I go by and talk to him for a while every year! He is the one that originally signed me up for EHJ & EBJ a few years ago.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to hang out and chat fells. I got an elk steak headed for my grill and there's another big storm rolling over the mountain, again. Good luck in the draws and on your hunts this fall. -G

Ken

Feb 27, 2014
Idaho
I am dismayed at the number of low-quality hunting shows on TV these days. I think many of them do hunting more harm than good by presenting hunters in a negative light. Eastman's is one of very few that I actually enjoy watching. How can we get those rotten shows off the air?

tmotz

Feb 27, 2014
Any suggestion on a good quality packable cold weather sleeping bag?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Thanks for taking the time to hang out and chat fells. I got an elk steak headed for my grill and there's another big storm rolling over the mountain, again. Good luck in the draws and on your hunts this fall. -G
Cant believe he left all this for an elk steak......LOL I would do the same!

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions Guy!!!!

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Funny....MM I was going to grill elk burgers tonight....but before I got started asked my boys what they wanted for dinner.....they voted it off the menu in favor of little ceasars.........

the forelorned father left the tarp on the grill......... ��

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Funny....MM I was going to grill elk burgers tonight....but before I got started asked my boys what they wanted for dinner.....they voted it off the menu in favor of little ceasars.........

the forelorned father left the tarp on the grill......... ��
Hahaha, when I was growing up, there were 5 of us in the house. We voted on everything. Dad's vote was worth 5 points, ours worth 1. You need to implement the same rule, I think.