Live Chat: Gear for the Hunt!

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
We are ready to start, here is the first question from Ikeepitcold:

What do you think is the top three pieces of gear a new western hunter should have in their arsenal?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011

What do you think is the top three pieces of gear a new western hunter should have in their arsenal?
It depends a little bit on what you are hunting and where you are hunting, but in general without a doubt high quality optics is number one, then probably high quality clothing and boots. That's without getting into camping gear and weapons of course. Good luck. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
This one is from Tim:

Since you guys get to travel to all of the hunting expo’s and see the new equipment, other than optics, I was wondering what new equipment coming out this year you see as benefiting the western hunter the most?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
This one is from Tim:

Since you guys get to travel to all of the hunting expo’s and see the new equipment, other than optics, I was wondering what new equipment coming out this year you see as benefiting the western hunter the most?
As always. there is a ton of cool new gear this year, and I'm sure I haven't seen it all yet either. I would say probably the new KUIU sleeping bags, and tents come to mind particular for the Western hunter. Also, Sitka has some killer new gear coming out, in the protective and insulating layer categories. Optics, not much really new there, but the new Swarovski and Leica rangefind-ing binos are at the top, if you can afford the price tag. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
From Dave:

I am taking my wife on her first elk hunt this fall. It is a private land, low country, hunt. Do you have any gear recommendations that an experienced hunter may overlook for a first time wife hunt? I want her to be comfortable and enjoy the hunt so I am trying to think of everything.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
From Dave:

I am taking my wife on her first elk hunt this fall. It is a private land, low country, hunt. Do you have any gear recommendations that an experienced hunter may overlook for a first time wife hunt? I want her to be comfortable and enjoy the hunt so I am trying to think of everything.
Good call. My wife and I hunted together for the first time a few years ago, and it was a little bit of an eye opener for me. I got her some good gear from Prois, and it worked great. She was glad I did after the hunt was over. Make sure you get her some warm gear, for some reason women are always colder in the outdoors than guys are. A good pair of smaller binos is a great idea also. I got my wife a pair of Zeiss 10X32s and she love them. The 42 are too big and she doesn't like the size and weight around her neck. Good luck on the elk hunt. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Guy what is your preference on boot insoles?
I think there are three to really consider; SuperFeet, Sole and Kenetrek. I have used them all at least a little bit. I liked the Sole's the best until I used the Kenetrek insoles. I've since switched to the Kenetreks and have had great luck with them. It is probably personal preference though. I still do run in the Sole's but they don't seem to be designed quite right for heavy loads and unstable ground. -G

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM

1. Good optics! I prefer a 10x42 but with a tripod 12's and 15's are good too!
2. Tough boots.
3. A good map of the unit they are hunting. Hunting without maps is like hunting blind IMO.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
what is your opinion on a tent with no floor?
That's a good question. I actually have a Kifaru TeePee with no floor that I used to use a lot and spend a lot of time in some very nasty weather in AK in a Black Diamond. They have their pros and cons. The pros are, they are quick, easy and light. The cons, you will pay the price with bug, moisture and cold. A walled tent is much more efficient and can gain you up to 20 degrees in temperature. the no floor tents are colder until the snow covers the edges. And sometimes you can end up with a creek or a puddle in the middle if you don't pitch it right or get the wrong kind of weather. I think they work great in early season, or on a sheep hunt where weight is super critical. Even in a floor-less tent I started carrying a tarp to use a floor, but then the point of weight savings is kind of negated. G-

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Guy,
Any chance the Eastman's deer tour will ever swing out to Chicago area? A lot of guys in Midwest would love it!
I don't think so. Hey nice antelope in your profile pic. Where did you get him? Naperville? -G

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
Here's my question guy: When packing a bull out of the backcountry (say 4-5 miles from the nearest road w/out horses) in September when it can get to 75 degrees or warmer how do you keep your meat fresh? I usually hang mine in game bags in the shade and try to get it out as quickly as my legs can take me. I normally have 1-2 people to help pack out but it still takes a couple trips. Do you use spray to keep the flies off? Sleeping bags to keep it cool?

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
Guy,
Also, what techniques would you use to hunt central Wy elk in the sage/rock outcroppings type ground? Glass fr truck, put some miles on your boots?
What could a hunter expect hunting this type of country in December?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
What would be your best advice to a hunter that just drew a limited quota elk tag in Wyoming and who has NEVER hunted elk before? (Archery)
Do your research, get the maps, talk to as many people as possible and read up on elk behavior. Elk can be tough to hunt and their behavior and the country is a huge key to success. -G