Live Chat: Gear for the Hunt!

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Guy,
Also, what techniques would you use to hunt central Wy elk in the sage/rock outcroppings type ground? Glass fr truck, put some miles on your boots?
What could a hunter expect hunting this type of country in December?

Those desert bulls can be tough to locate. I would get up on a high point and glass 365 degrees. The desert bulls can be roamers and you never know where they might end up from one day to the next. They are very tough to pattern. It's a bit easier in December. They will be locked in on the food sources. And once you find them, you should be good to go. -G

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
Nice buck!!! My wife missed a big buck out there the year before. Not that one though. Congrats. -G
Thanks! I actually missed him on the first shot, got excited and yanked the trigger! He stopped again at about 330 yds n I dropped him! Fantastic hunt!

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Here's my question guy: When packing a bull out of the backcountry (say 4-5 miles from the nearest road w/out horses) in September when it can get to 75 degrees or warmer how do you keep your meat fresh? I usually hang mine in game bags in the shade and try to get it out as quickly as my legs can take me. I normally have 1-2 people to help pack out but it still takes a couple trips. Do you use spray to keep the flies off? Sleeping bags to keep it cool?
That's always a tough situation. I hang mine elk quarters on the North side of a tree down in as deep of a dark creek bottom as I can find. Then haul it out to the truck piece by piece and put in a Yeti cooler with Ice in the shade. The main thing to remember is to get the meat cooled down below 50 degrees and keep the sun off of it. Throw it in the creek if you have to. Did that once, and used a snow back twice to through it in. Once that animal is down, meat care becomes number one!!! -G

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
That's always a tough situation. I hang mine elk quarters on the North side of a tree down in as deep of a dark creek bottom as I can find. Then haul it out to the truck piece by piece and put in a Yeti cooler with Ice in the shade. The main thing to remember is to get the meat cooled down below 50 degrees and keep the sun off of it. Throw it in the creek if you have to. Did that once, and used a snow back twice to through it in. Once that animal is down, meat care becomes number one!!! -G
Thanks Guy I appreciate it!

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Guy, did you see post #11?
Got it. God plays a huge role in everything I do. I'm sure I don't give enough credit. He knows, I've sent some pretty wacky prayers his way during the fall. -G

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
Guy,

With all of the new camo patterns out there, do you feel that one particular pattern works better than the rest for hunting in the high country?

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
I have one more question as well: I have read for several years in a row now in Eastmans MRS that unit 21A in NM is top quality for bull elk. Last year I went to 21A during the October rifle season and hunted my butt off seeing no bulls, never heard anyone shoot, and never saw anyone with a dead bull. We saw plenty of cows but just no bulls. Is this unit better during the rut in archery season and do the bulls migrate somewhere else in October?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Do you use gaiters? if so, which brand would you recommend?
I'm not a huge gator wearer. I have a very nice pair of Kenetrek gators that I have used cat hunting in Libby, MT. They worked great. We are headed to AK this spring, and I'm probably going to take them. The guys up North really rely on them, because the wet grass and willows. We don't have as much of a problem with that here where I hunt most of the time. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Do you ever use deer calls for mule deer and if so which ones
Not really. I am pretty much a spot and stalk guy for mule deer. I have used them for whitetails once in while. I like the Primos calls myself, but I know there are plenty of different kinds out there. -G

Cc_hunter

Feb 27, 2014
Fort Worth
What do you think the best layering setup is for the buck? Looked a lot at first lite, haven't had much of any experience with the other brands.

Thanks

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Guy,

With all of the new camo patterns out there, do you feel that one particular pattern works better than the rest for hunting in the high country?
The high country changes so much in color from month to month. I think most of them do a good enough job. I use the Mossy Oak Brush pattern and it works well, it has the right color of browns and tans. The Realtree Max-1 works well in the sage brush also. But I think hunting with the wind in your face and stay off the ridge tops is as important for concealment as anything is. -G

Dedeye

Nov 20, 2013
North Dakota
Last question and I'll just sit back and enjoy...how's the winter treating the area around Cody?
And don't forget...the invitation to go bow hunting in the ND Badlands is still open!

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
What do you think the best layering setup is for the buck? Looked a lot at first lite, haven't had much of any experience with the other brands.

Thanks
That's a very good question. I really think the three you have to look into would be Sitka, KUIU and Kryptek. I think if you are after the best deal, KUIU and Kryptek would be the best two for you. The Fist Lite stuff is very good as well, I just don't have as much experience with it. My buddy Chad in AK who I hunted sheep with last fall had the First Lite gear and it seemed to work very well. I know their base layer is probably the best though. -G