Live Chat: Gear for the Hunt!

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Last question and I'll just sit back and enjoy...how's the winter treating the area around Cody?
And don't forget...the invitation to go bow hunting in the ND Badlands is still open!
The winter here has been pretty rough. I think its the worst winter I've seen here in the last 15 years. Lots of snow and cold. Our snowpack is almost 160% of normal and another nasty storm is headed our way this weekend. Cross your fingers. I heard it's supposed to hit 77 in mid March though. We'll see how that works out or not. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
My son will be hunting unit 22 Colorado 2nd season for cow elk, this is his first year hunting. What do you think his chances are. And is there a good elk herd in that unit
I'm certainly no expert on CO. I think any unit in CO is good for cow elk. I would put his chances at better than 50/50. Good luck. -G

Ken

Feb 27, 2014
Idaho
What is your opinion of using high powered binoculars (15x) instead of a spotting scope for hunting high mountain mule deer and elk?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Is there any answer to the point creep game all over the west? Any opinions on how to make things better?
It is a very big problem. I wish I had the control to change it. I think some of these states are wishing they would have never even went to a point system at all. At some point, the demand becomes so large that no point system is the best point system. The best thing we can do, is do our research and hunt in the midrange units. I hardly ever hunt in a blue chip unit in WY. -G

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Im going to throw a curve ball and ask a question about gearing myself for the hunt. This may have been mentioned in one of your books and the answer slips my mind. When hunting smart ole mature mule deer. Do you give it a rest during any time of the day or search all day long?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
What is your opinion of using high powered binoculars (15x) instead of a spotting scope for hunting high mountain mule deer and elk?
I use a spotting scope. I don't like the weight of those big monster binos, and it seems like 15X is just never enough. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Im going to throw a curve ball and ask a question about gearing myself for the hunt. This may have been mentioned in one of your books and the answer slips my mind. When hunting smart ole mature mule deer. Do you give it a rest during any time of the day or search all day long?
Yeh, I hold up during mid day and wait until evening. The only time I don't is if the weather is changing or later in October and during the rut. The later on the fall gets, the more likely anything is to happen. -G

Ken

Feb 27, 2014
Idaho
Setting aside all the hysteria from both sides, what are your personal observations on the impact wolves have had on big game hunting in the western states?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
What advise would you give a guy getting ready to buy his first bow and get into archery hunting.
Go down to the bow shop and shoot each brand. They will all feel a little bit different to each person. I like the Bow-Tech but some of my buddies prefer the Hoyt's or the Mathews. If you can't afford the best new off the shelf, get into either a Diamond or Mission. They are usually only about two or three year old technology and will save you a ton of money. Make sure the bow fits you. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Setting aside all the hysteria from both sides, what are your personal observations on the impact wolves have had on big game hunting in the western states?
One word: Disaster!!! It will go down as the single largest Biological mistake in our lifetimes. -G

Dedeye

Nov 20, 2013
North Dakota
Ken...I've seen what they can do in Northern MN, while bear hunting up there a few years ago...it's crazy! When they opened their season and said they didn't expect many kills, I knew they were way off their rocker...and I was right! They filled the quota in like 2 weeks!

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Guy,
Alaska is about to undergo a hard look at sheep hunting allocations. What do you feel would be an appropriate resident to non-resident ratio for tag allocation? 90%-10% is being pushed by the residents.

Ken

Feb 27, 2014
Idaho
Thanks. My wife and I have been actively hunting predators ever since deer season closed. Lots of coyotes on the ground, but so far only wolf tracks.

One Shot

Feb 27, 2014
What is your preferred power on a spotting scope? Do you have a recommendation on a good lightweight tripod that isn't going to break the bank?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Guy,
Alaska is about to undergo a hard look at sheep hunting allocations. What do you feel would be an appropriate resident to non-resident ratio for tag allocation? 90%-10% is being pushed by the residents.
That is a very good question, if I was a resident I would say 90/10 as a non-resident I think 60/40 is good. But in all honesty, I think an 80/20 split is probably the most fair to all sides. I think anything close to 90/10 is a bit stingy and anything beyond 70/30 is not really fair to the residents who live there and pay the taxes in that state. Just my personal opinion on that one. As a side note, it makes it pretty tough for the Departments to make their budgets work at 90/10 not to mention the outfitters get hit pretty hard at those percentages also. 80/20 all the way. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Thanks. My wife and I have been actively hunting predators ever since deer season closed. Lots of coyotes on the ground, but so far only wolf tracks.
Keep after them Ken. -G