It's Official I'm Going Back

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Well, I made it official and am headed back to South Africa for a hunt.

I debated on a 7 day or the 10 day hunt and decided on the 10 day one which includes a few more animals.

So now the planning begins, well not really. Since I have been over once I'll just duplicate 99% of what I did in 2015 and I'll be ready for 2022. I took stock of my ammo and I'll just need to load up a few rounds for my .340 Weatherby to take over so I am set on the ammo and rifle side. I had though about using the outfitters rifles and ammo but by the time that I pay what they are asking I might as well as take my own. I'll do a pre approved riffle permit which will get me through the rifle import section much quicker along with a meet and greet to get whisked through customs.

It's going to be a very long year and a half which when it gets here will go all too fast.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
After my first trip I realized why a friend laughed at me for spending what I did on my grizzly hunt up in British Colombia.

From what I understand there is still room in the group that I am going with.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There are 12 animals in the package.

My main one is a warthog followed by a blue wildebeest. Then we have a kudu, gemsbuck, impala, blestbuck, and a duiker. and a few cull animals. Then I can choose 3 of the following: baboon, jackal, bushbuck, mountain reedbuck, white blestbuck, black springbuck,cape springbuck or a ostrich. Of those I may try for a jackal, baboon, and who knows? a ostrich....

The outfitted cost is $6400 US. I figure airfair will be around $2000, tips and other necessaries $1000. Then dip and pack and shipping back home around $2000. All of the trophies that I will bring home will be euros except for the warthog.

Reactions: BAKPAKR

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'll be in for the stories.
Heck it beats Javelina and Coues... 💥
I don't know about that. I'm going to miss being down in the desert in February this year chasing those little buggers, and as for the coues they are also fun to hunt.

But when you want to get pampered and spoiled you head to Africa, for what you would pay for a guided elk hunt here in the US.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I don't know about that. I'm going to miss being down in the desert in February this year chasing those little buggers, and as for the coues they are also fun to hunt.

But when you want to get pampered and spoiled you head to Africa, for what you would pay for a guided elk hunt here in the US.
Point taken. 💥

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I am HAPPY there are folks like you who are willing to go and then come back and tell about it and post pics for us . because of you I can hunt and travel vicariously through you and don't have to spend the coin! :D

good luck on your hunt and stay safe in your travels!

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Good luck with your hunt Jim,
I'm still scheduled to go in late April if things stay steady.
Customs in eagle has been a pain to get my rifles checked. Hopefully in the next couple weeks. They won't make appointment ahead of time. Mostly day to day.
I got airfare out of eagle for 1250 to joburg. But a long flight through qatar

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Good luck with your hunt Jim,
I'm still scheduled to go in late April if things stay steady.
Customs in eagle has been a pain to get my rifles checked. Hopefully in the next couple weeks. They won't make appointment ahead of time. Mostly day to day.
I got airfare out of eagle for 1250 to joburg. But a long flight through qatar
Hopefully everything comes together for a easy trip. Are you aware that the State Department I believe is now requiring a Covid test before coming back to the US?

I agree with the customs in Eagle, years ago they asked me to set up a time after the ski season to get my forms done, also on this I am sure that you are aware of the expiration date on your 4457 has to be at least 2021 for the gun permit in SA. I have a form that has a 2022 date on it and will talk to the guys in customs if they will use it if their form doesn't meet that date. Talk to the and see if you can get it done in the middle of the week. I don't believe that they are as busy as they say that they are but you never know.

Are you doing a preapproved SAPS 520 or are you doing it yourself? Using a service to get it preapproved cost a little but it is well worth it along with a meet and greet if you are not being picked up in Joberg and catching another flight.

I have thought about airfair out of Eagle but back when I was working I got stranded in Denver a couple of times when there were only a couple of us headed to Eagle out of Denver. So they bused us over the hill to Eagle. So I'll just fly out of DIA to save the headache.

Attachments

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Hopefully everything comes together for a easy trip. Are you aware that the State Department I believe is now requiring a Covid test before coming back to the US?

I agree with the customs in Eagle, years ago they asked me to set up a time after the ski season to get my forms done, also on this I am sure that you are aware of the expiration date on your 4457 has to be at least 2021 for the gun permit in SA. I have a form that has a 2022 date on it and will talk to the guys in customs if they will use it if their form doesn't meet that date. Talk to the and see if you can get it done in the middle of the week. I don't believe that they are as busy as they say that they are but you never know.

Are you doing a preapproved SAPS 520 or are you doing it yourself? Using a service to get it preapproved cost a little but it is well worth it along with a meet and greet if you are not being picked up in Joberg and catching another flight.

I have thought about airfair out of Eagle but back when I was working I got stranded in Denver a couple of times when there were only a couple of us headed to Eagle out of Denver. So they bused us over the hill to Eagle. So I'll just fly out of DIA to save the headache.
Yes on the return test. Right now that's the biggest issue.
My understanding was the form also needs to be issued in the year you are going. RSA thinks it's a permit.
And also yes I'll be using Henry over there to have things all pre approved and ready.
Customs answered the phone on the first ring then told me how busy they were. Lol
I'll be faxing all the info ahead of time so it's all ready to quickly inspect when I get there.

Reactions: JimP