Is it a sin?

MattDavis

Jan 23, 2016
Colorado Springs
Alright guys I find myself in a moral dilemma.

So just recently I won a Quails forever gun of the year a Franchi 20 Gauge OU SL Instinct. Which I am just thrilled about and very thankful. I never win things like this but..........

Here is my issue as much as I love the look and style of this gun I was born and raised on pheasant hunting in Kansas and the only shotgun I've ever owned or used is my 870 express that I've had since I was 12. It as always been a dream of mine to get a very nice Semi Auto. On top of the that my son has completely out grown his youth gun and needs to be using my 870. So even before this I've been wanting to get a new gun so he can use mine but my family is on a single income and no way could I normally afford one.

I'm normally of the stance that once I own a gun I never sell trade or get rid of it in any way but I'm seeing this as an opportunity to maybe trade straight across for my Semi. Even if I keep this gun I'm going to use it, I just cant see having a gun and not using it. I got to pick it up and hold it last night and to be honest it felt all wrong in my hands. I am 6'2'' about 240 lbs and this guns just feels to light and fragile in my hands. It just felt awful to shoulder. With all this it still feels wrong like I'm being selfish and not great full for such a beautiful prize.

Well guys what say you?

Thanks

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Matt,

I'd first smile, drink a cup of coffee and say to yourself "great problem to have". I have all kind of friends in and out of state who all have different mentalities on guns and what to have in the safe. I was never a collector type of guy. We view them as tools, If I'm not using the tool I get rid of it and trade up/down and purchase something to use.

If I don't use it I sell it and get things I use. You understand its a good gun, you are being practical is all. Think of it this way you wouldn't go out and buy that gun or have one made to those specs......so why keep it. Sell it and get what you and the boy will shoot and don't look back!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I agree 100% with Slugz. Take your time selling it so you get top dollar and then go buy something that you will be happy shooting. I agree with you on feel by the way. You and I are the same size and those fragile feeling guns just aren't for me. My gun of choice through the years has been an 870.

rjroberts15

Jun 8, 2016
CA
Congratulations Matt. I agree with the others. Get the one that fits you, feels good and it's the one you want.

theleo91386

Apr 20, 2016
It's something you randomly happened into and does not fit you. Sell it and get what you want. If it had some sort of sentimental value or if were a iconic firearm (Whinchester model 12, Browning (FN) A5, original Superposed) then I'd recommend you go to confession or see a shrink, but it's not. It's a high end O/U that you don't like, so sell it so it can go to someone who will use it and appreciate it and you can get the shotgun you'll use and appreciate.

MattDavis

Jan 23, 2016
Colorado Springs
Given that the non Quail edition of this gun sells for around $1400. (don't know how much value the gun of the year adds)

Am I crazy to think I can trade with a gun shop for a shotgun that's $1400.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
sell it, get something you want. I would not go sell it at a gun show, you will get more fore it selling it for cash out of a local add. then go buy a gun you want. say you sell it for $1000 it should sell fast then you only have to pay 400 out of pocket for a 1400 gun, assuming that's what you are after.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
You might see if Quails Forever has a web site to sell stuff on, or possibly the local chapter can assist. There may be some Quail guys willing to pay top dollar for that edition.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Trying to sell a special issue of a firearm is tough to do and to get any extra money out of it. I know people that have John Wayne Winchester carbines that they think are worth hundreds of thousands with the reality that they are only worth what you can sell them for which is sightly above what the normal carbine price is. I have a Ruger #1 in 270 Weatherby mag which was a RMEF banquet rifle which is only worth slightly more than what it would retail for but for now it will stay a safe queen until I decide to mount a scope on it and go hunting.

So in my opinion for what it is worth if you want to sell the shotgun then take it down to a large gun retailer that does consignments in your area and if you live in a smaller area take it to a big cities shop and get their price on it. Then if you still feel you want to sell it put it on consignment where if they sell it you will be out around 15% of the price of it. Or go onto Gun Broker and register and list it there if you have time to let sit until it is sold.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a friend who lives in Pueblo not far down I-25 from you. He is an FFL and lists guns on GunBroker for people. He does everything...listing, pictures, mailing the gun after it's sold, etc. for 10% of the sale price. If you are interested PM me and I'll call him. You would have to deliver the gun to him.

I would sell it and do exactly what you describe. I am not a collector, just a shooter...use it or its gone. I do have some family guns that I don't shoot, but they get passed on to my son.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I will sell a firearm in a minute if it won't be used for something that will. I do have a couple heirlooms that are obviously different.

Sell it gets my vote.

MattDavis

Jan 23, 2016
Colorado Springs
Fond a local shop here in Colorado Springs that will Consignment sell it for $40. Place gets great reviews and the guy said he'd order my shotgun once my gun is sold. Only concern is he said due to the political climate they are primarily selling AR's so I worry about him having the right crowd for my gun.

Going to talk to him tonight.

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
I would definitely sell it since it was not a family heirloom. I have several that were passed down that I am holding onto but anything like that I would sell and get something I can use. I like Gunbroker, it is relatively easy to post and sell guns. I had a limited edition Winchester lever action .22 that I sold a few years back and got what I had hoped to get out of it.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Contact your local boy scout troop and see if they want to do a raffle. Sell 100 tickets for $20 each. You keep your share and they make some easy money. I know our boy scout troop is always looking for fund raisers. Just an idea.