If you were buying a new rifle....

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
If you were buying a new rifle tomorrow what would it be and why?

Interested to see what everyone would get. Obviously everyone has different needs and priorities so it should be interesting to see all the answers.

This is NOT a "what is the best caliber/rifle/bullet" topic. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
1. Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

Why? Because it works!-well mostly [emoji6]

No doubt, I've had issues with the short barrel getting reloads to achieve high velocity and accuracy simultaneously-its just finicky. Top velocities aside, I have a few reloads that are way accurate and the model 70 featherweight shoots them very consistently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'd go with a Thompson Center Encore just because of all the different barrels you can get for it.

You can have a lot of different calibers from .204 Ruger up to a 12 ga shotgun along with a .50 caliber muzzle loader and all you need to do is to swap out a barrel.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I found a used like new Sako AV laminate last year in 300 win mag.
I have many rifles but this one is already my favorite. Looks good, feels good, hits hard.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I wouldn't buy one.....I'd build one. I'd start with a nice commercial Mauser action, a SS Shilen match barrel and Timney trigger. My biggest question would be the stock. Since I used to make stocks, I really love a beautiful piece of Walnut. But a new composite stock like a B & C with aluminum pillors is much more practical , that is probably what I'd go with. Top it off with a great Leupold scope and there you have it. Wow....that sound exactly like my custom .300 Wby in the gun safe! Who'd a guessed that.............

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
1. Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

Why? Because it works!-well mostly [emoji6]

No doubt, I've had issues with the short barrel getting reloads to achieve high velocity and accuracy simultaneously-its just finicky. Top velocities aside, I have a few reloads that are way accurate and the model 70 featherweight shoots them very consistently.

done and done and done again. been happy with the win70s!

handed down my pre 64 in .270. miss that gun but the boy(now man )I gave it to was worthy

been wanting to get lever 30-30 for brush hunting. I dunno what brand,... maybe marlin

Last edited:

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
+1 on the lever gun.

Iowa legalized some str8 walled rifle cartridges for the shotgun deer seasons recently.

On my far off toy event horizon is a Marlin 336 in .375 Win.
done and done and done again. been happy with the win70s!

handed down my pre 64 in .270. miss that gun but the boy(now man )I gave it to was worthy

been wanting to get lever 30-30 for brush hunting. I dunno what brand,... maybe marlin

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Been really looking at Christianson Arms.

Really want a light weight 300 Win but the cost is a bit much. Might just go with a Savage.

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
I wouldn't buy one.....I'd build one. I'd start with a nice commercial Mauser action, a SS Shilen match barrel and Timney trigger. My biggest question would be the stock. Since I used to make stocks, I really love a beautiful piece of Walnut. But a new composite stock like a B & C with aluminum pillors is much more practical , that is probably what I'd go with. Top it off with a great Leupold scope and there you have it. Wow....that sound exactly like my custom .300 Wby in the gun safe! Who'd a guessed that.............
X2, although I prefer the Remington 700 action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Interesting reading what people like.
I've got several Remington 700s, Tikka, Rugers, and Sako.
Don't care for Winchester 70s at all. But have only owned 1. And it was a very bad example I'm sure.
I've 2 Winchester levers I'll never part with. A 64 in 30wcf made in 34 that was my grandpa's hunting rifle. Taken a few deer with that one. And a 94 octagon in 32 special.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Lefty, so my options are limited. Already have an 30-06 A-Bolt stainless with black synthetic stock. And a Win 70 wood stock stainless 7MM REM MAG. Both had Leupolds on top. And both are lefty guns.

That said, I would opt for a Browning A-bolt lefty in 6.5 Creedmoor, lefty, of course...

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I'd be buying a Proof Reasearch probably in the 300 win mag. IMG_1694.jpg
Why, as we all get older why don't we get lighter? That's why a carbon wrapped and carbon fiber stock.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I'd be buying a Proof Reasearch probably in the 300 win mag. View attachment 22602
Why, as we all get older why don't we get lighter? That's why a carbon wrapped and carbon fiber stock.
I had never heard of them. Looked at their website....Man are they pricey! But I guess not really, as I looked at a piece of unbelievable Walnut the other day that was $4,000. Things are really getting expensive, guess I'm just getting old and living in the past...LOL!

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
Since I already have a rifle to cover everything I do or will ever hunt, I would chose something I have just kind of wanted but not really in need of. I'm thinking I would like a 45/70. Torn between the Marlin( I think they are called the guide model) or a Sharps. Why not both????