Hunting Dog Name

7mag

Sep 1, 2014
Wyoming
Would it be confusing to the dog if the field name is different from their everyday name?
My german wirehair's name is steyer and call him sty for short and it doesnt seem to bother him at all. I think my next dog's name will be Hey. Hey get over here, Hey get it, Hey leave it alone. Might as well make it easy on me

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I like short names and commands. I feel they help the dog learn faster and there is very little confusion. My current lab's name is Gus. The two before him were Beau and Sam. I use hand commands with verbal commands while training and rarely have to speak other than the attention command after initial training.

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I've had a number of dogs over the years. GS pointer named Brandy, Lab named Libra, Lab Rott. cross named Buffalo(Buffy) Golden Retriever named Buddy. Current dog is Lab/Border Collie named Sage. Name her what you want, it will work out. Almost forgot best dog I ever had, English pointer/Brittany Spaniel named Speck.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
These are our families dogs names over the years.

Snoopy- Wiener dog (Meanest dog you have ever seen. I aint kidding neither..Died of old age)
Ringo- Beagle (Dumbest dog you have ever seen.. Lightning struck him early in life)
Muffy- Beagle (Died of old age)
Doc -Beagle (Died of old age)
Copper-Beagle (Died of old age)
Buddy - Yellow lab (Died of old age)
Boone- Black Mouth Cur (2nd meanest dog you have ever seen...Lightning struck him early in life)
Max - Black Lab
Jack - Mountain cur

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
BIGGEST MISTAKE I've seen in naming dogs is when the owner realizes the name is too close to commands!! Had to give some people grief at the out of norm commands they were giving due to poor dog name (example: Beau and woah/go/no, Kit and sit) Also, if you have multiple dogs, try and differentiate by syllables so field training is easier (My dogs are Ruger and Teton, but hunting it is Ruger and T). Naming is the funnest part, just make it count!

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
A buddy of mine only spoke to his dog in Spanish. It was fun to watch him give it commands. The thing ignored anything in English...

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
A buddy of mine only spoke to his dog in Spanish. It was fun to watch him give it commands. The thing ignored anything in English...
hell most(not all) of the bird dogs I have ever seen ignored English .

only thing ever seems to get their attention is a spray of lead from a distance.