Hunting Dog Name

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
I'm getting a female GSP for bird hunting (grouse, chukar, pheasant).
We have a few names picked out (Boots, Aspen, Scout, Jaeger, Stella, Kona, Brook).
We like the name Scout but seems close to the command sit. Boots just sound good vocally especially when in the field.
I read some owners have a name they use around the house and a short quick name for the field.
For those more experienced with bird dogs would this be confusing to the dog?

For example: Ashley and use Ash in the field, Aspen > Asp, Jaeger > Jag.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
An old water Fowler friend told me always do single syllable names. So I chose Ace. However, Todd?s dog is Mackinaw, and he is very steady.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Side conversation. All my dogs commands were not the traditional words, then when I was hunting with other people that's had dogs she'd do what I wanted. Fetch was back, stay was steady, sit was down, heal was here.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I kinda like the name Ranger for a bird dog. Fits the job description, and is easy to yell.

I name all our pets after Lonesome Dove characters. So maybe Blue Duck? Call her Blue in the field? My Lab is Dee Boot, Dee for short.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
An old water Fowler friend told me always do single syllable names. So I chose Ace. However, Todd?s dog is Mackinaw, and he is very steady.
I read the same thing (Gun Dog by Richard Wolters).

Leaning towards Scout and Boots.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
I kinda like the name Ranger for a bird dog. Fits the job description, and is easy to yell.

I name all our pets after Lonesome Dove characters. So maybe Blue Duck? Call her Blue in the field? My Lab is Dee Boot, Dee for short.
Would it be confusing to the dog if the field name is different from their everyday name?

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Heck NV I don't remember which book,I have almost every paperback he wrote in my collection.I have a list of dogs names in my computer but they are all male dogs names.Festus,Empty, Lucky, Bodi "Bodacious"etc.:cool:

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Thanks Az
I've got all my dad's paperbacks from the 60s and 70s, read them all multiple times and can't place that name on a dog. Guess I'll just have to read them all again this fall.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
My favorite dog name of all time was a plot hound named John Hummer, John for short. He was a cold tracking Son of a Bitch, literally.

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
Had labs named Darby, after William O Darby, 1st RGR BN WW2. One named Rudder, after James Rudder 2nd RGR BN WW2, and my last was named Audie, after Audie Murphy. All wonderful companions and hunters.