Hunting. Camp Pranks

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Well this was actually my buddy that did this. He used to go on an annual antelope hunt with some of his buddies. They always just took cans of soup to eat for dinner and would just set them in the fire to heat up. My buddy grabbed a can of dog food before he left and put it in a hiding spot for one of the days. The dog food was the kind that has vegetables and meat in it almost like a stew with thick gravy. One night he grabbed it and a few other cans and put them in the fire with no one looking. By the time anyone noticed them on the fire the labels were burned off and he was the only one who knew which one it was. One of his buddies drew the short straw on the can. My buddy said he couldn't even look up without cracking up. His buddy kept mentioning that he thought there was something weird going on with his can but are half of it before my buddy couldn't take it anymore and busted out with laughter after one of the comments. By this time everyone figured something was up so my buddy filled him in. Apparently everyone got a kick out of it, even the guy eating the dog food. I guess they are all in charge of cooking their own cans now

lang

Nov 11, 2013
My best was a few years ago I was lucky to take a mountain lion on an elk hunt at 20 yards. Luckiest part wasn't just that I saw a cat, but that was the only time I've had a tag for one. My brother was in tow and had no idea that I had the tag, so I was saving his life from a big cat only 20 yards from us. On the pack out he was probably a slight bit delirious from the adrenaline of facing a mountain lion that close, and the long hike I drug him on. In his state of exhaustion while we sat to catch our breath from packing I grabbed the cat by the back of the neck getting a decent snarl, and let out my best cat scream I could muster, while lunging the cats face at him! He jumped, but I think his heart stopped for over a minute. He told me later, "I saw you shoot that thing, gut it, pack it several miles, but there was a moment that I knew I was going to die!"

joens

Nov 30, 2015
Miles City, Montana
When I was a kid my friends and I thought we were bigtime fur trappers we had traps all over the place and rarely caught anything at first . one time we found one of my friends traps so we went out there and tore the area up it looked like a tornado hit it .then we drug the trap into a clump of bushes leaving a trail a blind man could have followed . we had a giant 4 foot tall teddy bear we had won at the county fair carnival for knocking over the milk bottles with a baseball and we put that in the trap. poor guy was already spooked from all the stories older kids were telling us about mountain lions and bears in the area. it did take some guts though to walk into that clump of bushes with a .22 . He was a bit irritated to say the least.

11C50

Oct 13, 2011
Edgar WI
My Father was a lover of Limburger Cheese, which he enjoyed on dark rye bread, peppered until you could not see the cheese, then salted until you could not see the pepper. If any of you have been around actual Limburger Cheese you know how pungent the rind is. So one night, one of our hunting buddies over indulged in malted barley products, and went to bed early. Never a good idea in camp. So we placed a sliver of Limburger Cheese rind inside the sweat band of his hunting cap, right above his nose. He was already sniffing his own arms pits before he left camp in the morning, and the explosion of expletives that night when we revealed the source of the stench is still being recalled years later.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
My Father was a lover of Limburger Cheese, which he enjoyed on dark rye bread, peppered until you could not see the cheese, then salted until you could not see the pepper. If any of you have been around actual Limburger Cheese you know how pungent the rind is. So one night, one of our hunting buddies over indulged in malted barley products, and went to bed early. Never a good idea in camp. So we placed a sliver of Limburger Cheese rind inside the sweat band of his hunting cap, right above his nose. He was already sniffing his own arms pits before he left camp in the morning, and the explosion of expletives that night when we revealed the source of the stench is still being recalled years later.
HA! Thats hilarious! My grandpa's brother in-law put a big chunk of Limburger on the engine block of my grandpa's car when my grandpa and grandma got married. They drove a couple of hours to go on their honeymoon about to puke from the smell. He said even after a good wash from a mechanic the car still smelled for about six months.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
This might be titled a self-induced prank if you could call it that. We went hunting one year and four of us were staying in a friend of my dad's pickup bed camper so you can imagine how tight it was. It was also -20 below zero! We were ravenous after a day of hunting and the bitter cold and you can imagine me a 16 year old growing like a weed how my stomach was eating at my back-bone. I grabbed the yellow mustard container on the table to put mustard along with my ketchup on my burger. Only had enough burger for one for each of us! I put the mustard directly on the meat on the bun and what came out was clear! He had filled an old mustard container so that is was a handy dish-soap dispenser! I squirted dish-soap all over the meat! Man was I pissed. There was nothing else to cook and I was forced to scrape the soap off as best I could and still eat the darn thing. I think I was blowing bubbles every time I passed gas the next day hunting, and I sure as heck knew my stomach was upset.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
HA! Thats hilarious! My grandpa's brother in-law put a big chunk of Limburger on the engine block of my grandpa's car when my grandpa and grandma got married. They drove a couple of hours to go on their honeymoon about to puke from the smell. He said even after a good wash from a mechanic the car still smelled for about six months.
That's what my best man and a few of my friends did to me & my bride on our wedding night...never forget it!

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
When I was a kid and we had a huge quail population. My Dad had some top notch bird dogs, we hunted every weekend. He reloaded all our shells. He invited lots of guys down to hunt with us. He would always have a few shells loaded with powder and flour instead of lead. He would sneak shells into guys vest. Man it was funny looking at there face when that white cloud shot out of the barrel! Good Memories LOL!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
When I was a kid and we had a huge quail population. My Dad had some top notch bird dogs, we hunted every weekend. He reloaded all our shells. He invited lots of guys down to hunt with us. He would always have a few shells loaded with powder and flour instead of lead. He would sneak shells into guys vest. Man it was funny looking at there face when that white cloud shot out of the barrel! Good Memories LOL!
We used to do something similar. At the trap range we would slip a shell loaded with black powder in to a friends shell pouch. Man it was a hoot when he shot it!

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Not a prank, but humorous nevertheless...

One hot summer evening, when I was a teenager in Jamestown, North Dakota two friends and I were dreading the thought of trying to sleep in our parent's houses with no air conditioning. We decided to go camping along the river outside of town thinking it would offer a reprieve from the sweltering heat.

Since we had already eaten dinner, we didn't bring much food...just a few snacks. Shortly after we got camp setup, we got hungry. In the distance, we could hear chickens at a nearby farm. So, at 10:30pm, we knocked on the farmer's door and asked him if would sell us a chicken (it seemed like a good idea at the time). Of course, he refused. Little did we know, the farmer had just watched a television news story about three escapees from the State Mental Hospital in Jamestown.

We went back to camp and spent a miserable night hungry and fighting mosquitoes. In the morning, we packed up our gear and hiked the half mile to my car. We were surprised see it surrounded by numerous vehicles with flashing lights including the county sheriff and several nurses dressed in white uniforms. They had found my vehicle and had told my parents that there was a possibility that we had been kidnapped by the escapees. We were soon able to explain the situation and went home tired and a little embarrassed at all the attention.

Apparently we provided a good diversion for the escapees because they were never caught. I have often wondered what happened to them. I heard a couple of rumors. One rumor says they became legislators in Wyoming. The other rumor says they moved to Nevada and got into a kurfuffle with the BLM over grazing rights. They later went on to occupy the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon. I am not sure which rumor to believe. I'm leaning toward the latter.

11C50

Oct 13, 2011
Edgar WI
A guy in our group once shot a tiny buck, and took much verbal teasing that day pretty well. However when he left the cabin the following morning and saw his deer hanging from a tree with white spots spray painted onto the hide, wearing a Depends diaper, and with a dog chew toy that resembles a babies Nook in its mouth, he kind of got pissed. Yes that scenario had been pre-planned, someone has to shoot the smallest one, you just don't know who.

JScams

Jun 14, 2015
Reno/Sparks/Tahoe
Took my buddy out on his first hunt for any kind of big game. He drew a Antelope doe and deer doe first season. His Antelope hunt was first. Opening day he nailed a nice antelope doe and was really excited. I noticed the night before he had brought both big game tags for some reason. Little did he know I hid his Antelope tag and left his deer tag in his pack. He starts to process the Antelope and I remind him he needs to apply his tag to the antelope. He starts looking and finds the deer doe tag but nit the antelope. He starts to panic and going crazy. I play dumb and tell him he is in trouble I have to call a warden and report him poaching etc he literally starts to tear up begging me not too etc. I reach into my pocket after 15 min of this tell him...You sure are lucky I have an extra one for you...He has not asked me to hunt with him since and it's been 3 years.

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
Few years back one of the guys shot a coyote from camp. When they went to get it there was a big badger hole near by. Well we decieded to prop it up about 3/4 out of the hole to see if our one buddy would see it on his way back to camp as the hole was maybe say 100 plus yards off a trail we took up and down the mountain. It was in very open desert/sage type little rolling terrian. Just a few minutes after getting back and just inside the tent joking wondering if our freind would see it, we heard the shot! Yes he saw it and shot at it. A miss!!!! well he could hear/see us laughing back and camp and realized what just happend.