Hunting applications during Corona.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I have still been putting him all my apps, just finished up Nevada. I’m also applied in Wyoming and New Mexico, points only in AZ, UT & CO. I think I’ll pull a few tags between me and my wife & kids. My hunting concern is this thing making scouting trips impossible since schedules/trips/meetings are getting pushed out And at some point, in the summer, schedules will get overloaded. Our company is still doing well (construction supply, we have been deemed “essential” or perhaps “expendable”😉) so I’m not concerned about job security yet. I think a significant % of non-residents will be turning tags back in and/or not making their hunting trips.

Reactions: Micah S

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
With a couple of western states attempting to restrict travel somewhat by not issuing NR spring turkey tags, I guess we gotta start wondering if they'll also limit NR big game tags in the fall?

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
The turkey thing is a clue. Buying out of state tags is risky. Would be a good year to try for that super-duper low chance tag, but what if you get it and can't go?

Hope this thing works itself out sooner than later.

Doing the Pref point bit. And working up a better load for the .243 this year.

CO got their $101 for a deer pref point. Decided that a return trip to CO is a better opp for us than braving the general units of WY, so dropping the WY deer points off the list. Hopefully buddy gets a big one this time around.

WY will get the $31 for the antelope pref point. WY antelope hunt is 5+ years out - hopefully live that long and get a decent tag.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Winchester - If there’s still travel bans in the fall the whole economy will have tanked beyond recovery and we’ll all be screwed anyways. Come hell or high water this shutdown will have to end by May or what’s the point? Save a few lives and put us (and the world) on a course of economic catastrophe that will take decades to recover from? I’ll take my chances with Corona if that’s the case. Besides, I’m sure a whole lot of folks are starting to question these wannabe dictator governors. Not sure how long people will play along...

Reactions: brian.320

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Winchester - If there’s still travel bans in the fall the whole economy will have tanked beyond recovery and we’ll all be screwed anyways. Come hell or high water this shutdown will have to end by May or what’s the point? Save a few lives and put us (and the world) on a course of economic catastrophe that will take decades to recover from? I’ll take my chances with Corona if that’s the case. Besides, I’m sure a whole lot of folks are starting to question these wannabe dictator governors. Not sure how long people will play along...
Thanks Dubya. I'm certainly not predicting anything, just raising the point for discussion. The President's Chief Medical Advisor has started saying there will be a 2nd wave of the virus next fall. Something to consider.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
If I was applying alone I would have swung for the damn fences in Colorado this season......Know that.

Horniac

Jul 14, 2011
NorCal
With the stay-at-home order end dates being continually pushed and reading about more and more public lands being closed to everyone but “locals only” in county after county out west this is getting interesting should this pandemic not taper off soon.

For example, are you going to apply and burn a couple of decades worth of points in CO only to be told you can’t hunt public BLM and FS land because you are not a local? Will you even be able to commercially fly or drive across various state or county lines to your destination? Sure, you can turn in your tag and eat the tag fee if that were to happen and have your preference points reinstated but you will not gain a preference point for this year and with point creep you may have a long wait to ever draw the tag again. With the CO Moose, Sheep, and Mountain Goat draws given their weighted point system, you may NEVER draw the tag again even if you forfeit the $2,240 to have your points reinstated. Similar problematic situations if you have points (or not) in many, if not all, the other western states.

Personally, I’m approaching each state on a case by case basis as each deadline approaches to hopefully get some clarity on public land closures, game department Covid-19 policies (if any) on draws, tag returns, etc., state and county travel restrictions, projected stay-at-home end dates, etc. Worst case I will continue to buy points for the remaining states and not burn any of my hard earn points due to the uncertainty of being able to actually hunt the tag if drawn.

Stay safe everyone!

Horniac

Reactions: Winchester

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
CPW made it very clear that hunting and fishing season is still "on" this year:

I find it very hard to believe there would be closures during big game season. It's a $12B industry in the state. There's a ton of "FUD" (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) and lots of "see, they're taking away your rights!" statements too. But this is a medical emergency where they're trying to flatten the curve. I have family members who work in hospitals and medical centers and many of them are like war zones right now, just totally inundated. This is not a government power grab. This is a legit emergency, it is NOT "just like the flu," and I honestly believe smart people are doing their level best to slow this thing until we have the capacity to cope. And maybe their best isn't as good as we'd like it to be, but it's what we got.

April 15, April 30, even June... whatever. It's NOT going to be still like this in August. Every restaurant and airline in the country would go out of business as well as a ton of other industries. You may still see lines of people ordering food take-out today at McDonald's, but it's barely a fraction of what they did 3 months ago. It's not enough to keep businesses afloat. US domestic policy is massively driven by the economy more than any other single factor, and economic pressure alone will force an end to it way before hunting season starts. Within the next 4-6 weeks, tops, in my opinion. If there are still limits by August, it's not going to be enforced on a group of people already pretty socially-distanced to begin with.

If the FUD actually scares you and you need a pick me up, consider that CO has been shelter in place for almost a week now, and people are still all over. Enforcement is nonexistent. Don't let a story about "some guy in California that got a ticket" fuss you. Everybody jokes here about CA ANYWAY. When you see 500 tickets issued in a single day in WY or CO, then worry. But I won't be holding my breath.

BTW if you're terribly desperate about your local gun store being out of ammo, MidwayUSA has plenty of stock. I just bought $300 of various loads, no problem. It's always weird to me to see the "take your rights" comments. The thing is, you never see them from people that don't have guns and suddenly want one. It's always from people with like 2 rifles, a shotgun, 3 pistols, and a few other toys squirreled away and a few thousand rounds of ammo to boot. If that's not already enough to defend your house for the next 30 days, well, you sure bought the wrong stuff. Shoot, I'm an addict and I haven't even BEEN to a gun store in like 6 months (bought a 22 pistol this year for grouse and some fun plinking). I order my ammo online because the prices are better anyway, and I think my wife would have way more to say about me dropping a thousand bucks on a new firearm than the government right now :D I can wait 30 days.

Oh I forgot. If you ARE desperate for a gun remember that they said gun STORES aren't essential - they're really not. They didn't say gun SALES aren't. Cabela's and Bass Pro are still open and selling guns. You can buy one there.

Reactions: Rich M and Slugz

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I may still apply for WY deer and antelope for my daughter and myself, but right now I am conserving as much cash as I can. I have no idea how this will effect my ability to earn a living in the next six months. Right now I am deemed an essential worker and have not been financially hurt by this pandemic, but I don't know what will happen with different industries that I support in my job. Hopefully when it comes time to apply the picture will be much clearer.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I may still apply for WY deer and antelope for my daughter and myself, but right now I am conserving as much cash as I can. I have no idea how this will effect my ability to earn a living in the next six months. Right now I am deemed an essential worker and have not been financially hurt by this pandemic, but I don't know what will happen with different industries that I support in my job. Hopefully when it comes time to apply the picture will be much clearer.
That is the kicker for many of us, how will this play out with the other guy.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Thanks Dubya. I'm certainly not predicting anything, just raising the point for discussion. The President's Chief Medical Advisor has started saying there will be a 2nd wave of the virus next fall. Something to consider.
they are also saying the second wave should be more manageable then the first for the hospitals.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
CPW made it very clear that hunting and fishing season is still "on" this year:

I agree taskswap, but that's what they say today … it could change.
As you said ; "CO has been shelter in place for almost a week now" ... and last week no one thought that would happen.
Things are changing quickly ... CO Parks and Wildlife could change their position also.
I also agree with you that " Enforcement is nonexistent", but if they stop issuing NR licenses it's done ... nothing to enforce at that point.
The Doc's are starting to predict a second wave this fall, so it's possible restrictions could be lifted for a bit, to help the economy, and then put back it place.
I sure hope not, and I hope hunting season and NR tags are unaffected by all this, but I bring it up because the OP ask "How is the Corona virus affecting your hunting Applications?" and this is certainly something to consider.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
... ... .... .... .... News flash....... ..... ..... ..... ....

As I was sitting here listing to a news cast they mentioned that the CP&W are having discussions on canceling the spring turkey hunt.

That is all they said