How many rounds of ammo to take?

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I had a carbon fiber hiking stick that I really loved and decided to "mod" it. I got a 1/4-20 bolt and cut the head of it off, then epoxied it into the top of my stick so it sticks out about 3/8". Then I put one of these on top:

I use that as a gun rest and it works great as a monopod. When I remember to bring it, I also have one of those Vortex Uni-Daptors that I can drop my bino's into. I tend not to use it much because I don't like to fuss with the length adjustment on my stick once I get it the way I want it, and glassing standing would sky-line me most of the places I'd actually use it. But it's handy sometimes.

Edit: The link doesn't seem to work for me but when you search Amazon for "V-Yoke Gun Rest" you can find a bunch of options.

Reactions: THelms

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
My (our) shooting sticks always accompany us when hunting.....practice/zero verification should be taken from the expected rest...to be certain of bullet impact and the group size expectations when hunting! memtb
I never did use any shooting sticks. My dad taught me how to shoot in all the common positions. Sitting, kneeling, and standing. He left out the prone just because where he hunted most of the time you would never get a shot from the prone position. He also taught me the value of a military sling as compared to the carry slings that are more common on today's rifles. I made my furthest shot on a game animal a elk at a little over 800 yards sitting down with the sling properly wrapped around my arm. At the first shot the elk spun 180 degrees, the person who was spotting for me didn't say weather I had hit it or not so I sent another round towards the elk. Both rounds had hit it right where I wanted them to hit it. The elk just didn't know that it was dead. A few years afterwards I shot a deer at 749 yards using a limb that stuck out of a fence post to rest the rifle on while I was sitting behind it.

What I am getting at is that I believe that people have gotten away from how to shoot a rifle and depend way too much on artificial means to support the rifle. But if you learn how to use shooting sticks and don't mind packing them around then by all means use them. I need to get some practice off of them before I head over to Africa next June since most shots will be off of them and the PH's frown on you not using some kind of a support when shooting.

Being a northeastern whitetail stillhunter my whole life, a lot of the shots presented to me are offhand without any kind of an aid. Granted, most are inside of 70 yds and I very seldom take a shot at a running deer.

When I'm out west hunting mule deer or antelope, I most often have time to set up and shoot off my pack, either sitting or prone. Last year, my partner and I closed the distance on a very nice buck from 600 yds to just under 200. Because the Greasewood and other brush was so tall, the only shot presented was an offhand neck shot. My partner set the height of his shooting sticks to just under my chin and handed them to me. I remember noting, just before I pressed the trigger, how steady my sight picture was.

This spring I bought a nice lite compact bipod that will be carried on all my future stalks.

EDIT: I guess the thread went a little sideways. For my part, I apologize.

Last edited:

billdoe708

May 10, 2015
Michigan
On the hunt. Whatever the rifle holds 3/4. 2 boxes in camp.

I hunt with an muzzleloader 99% of the time. 20 bullets in camp. Only take 3 total with me including the 1 in the gun.

Makes me not take low percentage shots.

Whitetail hunting at home.....just the round in the muzzleloader and 1 extra primer.

memtb

To further derail the original post, however, in the attempt to save ammunition....I do advocate shooting sticks! So....it’s a little bit ammunition related! 😁

I don’t shoot as well as I should from field positions without an aid. The sticks are great for hooting above brush that would be impossible from a sitting position, and are a great aid in shooting down a steep grade! PLUS.....my sticks serve as more than just a shooting aid! They can also serve as a walking stick....a bit weak, but still functional. I’ve used them to cross a snow covered rock field, trying to avoid stepping between rocks and busting a leg or ankle, maintain some balance when in deadfall, and offer some assistance going up or down steep, slick grades.

Summary: pretty darn handy to have when hunting! memtb

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
To further derail the original post, however, in the attempt to save ammunition....I do advocate shooting sticks! So....it’s a little bit ammunition related! 😁

I don’t shoot as well as I should from field positions without an aid. The sticks are great for hooting above brush that would be impossible from a sitting position, and are a great aid in shooting down a steep grade! PLUS.....my sticks serve as more than just a shooting aid! They can also serve as a walking stick....a bit weak, but still functional. I’ve used them to cross a snow covered rock field, trying to avoid stepping between rocks and busting a leg or ankle, maintain some balance when in deadfall, and offer some assistance going up or down steep, slick grades.

Summary: pretty darn handy to have when hunting! memtb
I do pretty much the same. I use a "Trigger Stick".

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I take 2 boxes. If I'm serious about a trip (elk) I get to the area a day or two ahead of time to set up camp and I find a local range. There's almost always one within an hour's drive no matter where you go. I test my final zero there with the same ammo I'll be hunting with.

On the hunt I carry a full mag in the rifle plus a spare (full) mag in my pack. For luck or emergencies, I carry a loose round in a side belt pouch. The reason I do this is I have not one but TWO hunt buddies that have (not even kidding) had a mag drop out of their rifle. It's not a daily event but if you're scrambling through timber it's totally not impossible either.

The other box stays in the truck. I've never needed it, but if I did, better to have it and not need it than vice versa.
So a mule deer or antelope doesn't deserve being serious and verifying zero, only elk?

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
So a mule deer or antelope doesn't deserve being serious and verifying zero, only elk?
Have I said something to offend you? Implying that I don't respect medium game because I don't think I need 40+ rounds to take them is a stretch.

If you gave me the benefit of the doubt, there are good reasons for this. I don't hunt antelope. I hunt mule deer less than an hour from home, and I don't take a week off work to do it, it's just day trips for me. I can check my zero at my local range and in some bizarre accident where I lose or damage an entire box of rounds I can go home to get more. However, I hunt elk 6+ hours away and bring a second box "because I do." I've never needed that much and doubt I ever will but it's better than driving home...

Reactions: memtb and THelms

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Have I said something to offend you? Implying that I don't respect medium game because I don't think I need 40+ rounds to take them is a stretch.

If you gave me the benefit of the doubt, there are good reasons for this. I don't hunt antelope. I hunt mule deer less than an hour from home, and I don't take a week off work to do it, it's just day trips for me. I can check my zero at my local range and in some bizarre accident where I lose or damage an entire box of rounds I can go home to get more. However, I hunt elk 6+ hours away and bring a second box "because I do." I've never needed that much and doubt I ever will but it's better than driving home...
Your exact comment, " If I'm serious about a trip (elk)..." just implied that you didn't get serious with the others. My apologies. Growing up out west I did see quite a few guys basically use antelope as a practice session for other species to follow. It always bothered me.

Reactions: THelms

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Your exact comment, " If I'm serious about a trip (elk)..." just implied that you didn't get serious with the others. My apologies. Growing up out west I did see quite a few guys basically use antelope as a practice session for other species to follow. It always bothered me.
Fair point, I see the same thing. I'll rephrase in the future. I guess I should have been more specific that my decision is based mostly on distance to my house. "A trip" for me is something over an hour or two away. I'm definitely taking more if I'm going farther. (That applies to everything: I'm leaving next week for a Rifle 1 trip here in CO and bringing literally all the gear I own. Could be hot, could be cold, you just never know here!)

Reactions: Hilltop

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I like to just sit on my arse when possible and use my knee as a rest.
I believe I can shoot as well in that position as any other. not a big fan of packing shooting sticks.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I like to just sit on my arse when possible and use my knee as a rest.
I believe I can shoot as well in that position as any other. not a big fan of packing shooting sticks.
The only muley I ever shot was on my butt with elbows on knees and rifle in shooting stick - solid as a rock...

Reactions: memtb and kidoggy

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
well they are! just funnin you, grew up out west, still live out west and have never hunted antelope. Hell there is none around me, unless i go east or south, not west.