How many elk do wolves eat in Yellowstone

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
The elk concentrating during the winter where lions aren't as easily able to kill them makes sense. Also why you found a disproportionate number of deer kills that time of year, and that makes sense as well.

Bet you didn't run lions much in June-early fall...to see what they were killing that time of year. The bitterroot study found lions were responsible for the highest amount of predation on elk calves, many times higher than wolves...and I would venture a guess that probably is the case in a lot of other areas as well.

I also agree that a lion wont always kill once a week...but sometimes they kill more often than once a week as well. Its called an average for a reason...all the research I've found is saying, on average, one ungulate a week.

Check this study...one male lion killed 18 moose in less than a year. Probably pretty rare, but impressive.

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/ferocious-appetites-study-finds-mountain-lions-may-be-eating-more/article_d9cf046b-2c47-539f-a267-972e72e570b6.html

Last edited:

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
Even if it were one elk a week (which it is not) wolves are still killing more elk.

22tbone

Jan 9, 2017
SE Minnestoa
My two cents. I think it is a great success in conservation that we have wolves and grizzlies on the landscape, however both these species have decimated the elk and mule deer population in and around Yellowstone. That is a fact that is not up for debate. The whitetail numbers in WI, MN, and Upper Michigan have also dwindled where wolves are present. I think that all we have to do is manage wolf and grizzly numbers outside the Park and elsewhere and things will take care of themselves. The controversy comes in when you try to manage these predators and to what population numbers are we managing too, and who is doing the counting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTHusker

Apr 22, 2013
wolves 1700.jpg
Like I have stated before, if were going to reintroduce wolves, let us do it right, here is a map of where they once roamed in America, If people are going to force their agenda on others they should be prepared to live with the same......

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
beverly hills! IT WOULD GIVE ME GREAT JOY TO SEE SOME OF THOSE FOO-FOO PETS turned to wolf poop