Getting two groups while sighting in bow. Help.

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
I am new to archery. I'm shooting a Martin Magnum quest with a tru-glo sight and a fall away rest. The bow is new to me, but not new. 24 inch gold tips 400 spline, 100gr field points. I am a right hander and I'm using a trufire trigger release.

I am working on sighting in my bow and I consistently have the same problem, and it has resulted in a bunch of broken and lost arrows. I am essentially shooting two groups. Both are decent groups (for me) (a couple of inches, 1-3 in diameter) at both 10 and 20 yards. One group is pretty much spot on to my point of aim. The other is high and to the left. By about 18-20 inches at 10 yards.

When getting results like that with my rifle or handguns I know it is what I am doing, and not the equipment. Especially since it really is very consistent. Its one, or the other, and occasionally it will be a mix of the two groups. But always in those two spots.

When shooting firearms there are a lot of targets and advice that explain what is going (am I healing the pistol, am I jerking the trigger, etc). I have not been able to find that for archery.

So what am I doing to get a group high and to the left? Thanks for the help

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Idaho, My guess is inconsistent releases, bad grip on your bow during releases, or a tuning issue. But there is an outside chance you have a couple arrows that are bad. Mark your arrows with a sharpie. Just put a number 1-whatever on the fletching and see if certain arrows are the ones going high left. If that isn't it, it is likely your release or how you are holding the bow through the release. Make sure you aren't gripping the bow tightly during release. Sometimes shooters torque their bow when doing this causing errant shots. Your anchor point also needs to be consistent to produce consistent results. Focus on centering your pin in the peep sight.

I would recommend finding a pro shop and having them help you paper tune your bow. If your bow is out of tune it can cause all sorts of problems. Pay attention to what they do and you will be able to do many things on your own in the future.

Last edited:

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Hilltop has some good advice there. It sounds like a couple of things to me. Some form issues possibly and arrow inconsistencies that Hilltop addressed. Another thing you will want to check is to make sure the drop away rest is actually dropping away and at the right time. You may have to have someone help watch to make sure it is timed right and everything, so like Hilltop said, head to your closest Pro Shop and have them help you out.

You might also just be jerking the bow on release. A pro shop can tell you this as well. If you are jerking the release or your bow hand with shot anticipation this can wreak havoc on your shots. Also make sure your sight is tightened down good and the pins aren't moving.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
This could also be a result keeping both eyes open during one shot and closing one eye during the next shot. Some people are right handed and left eye dominant or vice versa which causes your point of aim to change.

If you are using a peep but forget to use it on some of your shots this will cause the two groups as well and this is a very common occurrence. I once missed a really big elk because of my excitement and not using the peep. My brother badly missed a bull moose for the same reason until I yelled at him and brought him out of his zone. He then nailed it at 60 yards. I had a friend who was a competition shooter completely miss a big whitetail...twice!!...at 10 - 15 yards because of it as well.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Assuming you're using the equipment properly, my guess is you're getting fletching contact. When the arrow kicks out, it's amplified at longer distances.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
This could also be a result keeping both eyes open during one shot and closing one eye during the next shot. Some people are right handed and left eye dominant or vice versa which causes your point of aim to change.

If you are using a peep but forget to use it on some of your shots this will cause the two groups as well and this is a very common occurrence. I once missed a really big elk because of my excitement and not using the peep. My brother badly missed a bull moose for the same reason until I yelled at him and brought him out of his zone. He then nailed it at 60 yards. I had a friend who was a competition shooter completely miss a big whitetail...twice!!...at 10 - 15 yards because of it as well.
My son had problems with this when he started shooting also, and a couple of times later, too. It sounds pretty similar at 20 yards with a group at 12 to 18 inches away from where he thought he was aiming.

When I started I was able to overhear a few lessons from the local pro and kindof got free lessons in the process, so I think that is really good advise also to have them watch you shoot. They can usually pick out stuff immediately to help.

Last edited:

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
how many arrows are you shooting pre grouping?
Usually 3 per grouping.

It is not the arrows, as they all do it, and don't do it. (I have paid attention, just like with handgun magazines and malfunctions).

Everything is all tightened down well. (I did check that).

Another forum overwhelmingly discussed eye dominance issues. (I'm right eyed as far as I know). But I will go back and check to see if I am shooting with both eyes open (like I do with pistols and shotguns) or if I am closing my left eye (like I do with rifles). Possibly I am being inconsistent with that and that is the source of my problem.

If I that is the problem, which group should I adjust my sight to, the open eyed group, or the one eyed group?

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
If you're not sure if you're right eye dominant the test for it is simple. Hold your finger out at arms length and align it with something like a tree or whatever. Keep both eyes open when doing this. Now close your left eye. Your finger should still be lined up with the object. Now open up your left eye and close your right eye. Your finger won't be lined up with the object anymore. Instead it will be lined up to the right of the object. If all this is true for you, you are right eye dominant.

Make sure you are always looking through your peep if you use one.

Last edited:

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Make sure your anchor point is consistent as well. That can really throw things out of whack if you are anchoring differently on shots.

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho

If you are using a peep but forget to use it on some of your shots this will cause the two groups as well and this is a very common occurrence. I once missed a really big elk because of my excitement and not using the peep.
This seems to have been the problem. Consciously closing my left eye when shooting has solved the problem. 30 shots latter, the problem is gone. Apparently I have been inconsistent in using both or one eye to shoot with. Thank you for the help.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO

I agree with this. The first animal I shot with my bow I did this same thing on my first shot. I had a clean miss and the bear stayed long enough for me to regroup and make my second shot count.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
This seems to have been the problem. Consciously closing my left eye when shooting has solved the problem. 30 shots latter, the problem is gone. Apparently I have been inconsistent in using both or one eye to shoot with. Thank you for the help.
Good! I'm glad you figured it out. Now don't be like me and do it all wrong again when you get a heart stopper in front of you this fall.

LucilleBruce

May 16, 2015
saffordsportinggoods.com
I would recommend finding a pro shop and having them help you paper tune your bow. If your bow is out of tune it can cause all sorts of problems. Pay attention to what they do and you will be able to do many things on your own in the future.
Yes, The main aim behind bow is that, it is really safe. To perfect in this game, one has to learn all the related facts behind it also.