East Deschutes Sheep Tag!

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I just had to share this with you. My oldest son just found out he drew an East Deschutes sheep tag here in our home state of Oregon! He is truly one of the finest men I know and I am so happy I will get to share this with him.

Two weeks ago the ODFW application numbers were assigned to our applications and he was within 9051 of the Seed Number. With 10 million possible numbers that statistically put him in the top 0.09% of all applicants or almost 10 times better than he needed. As we waited, we calculated that his odds of him NOT getting the tag were around 1 in 100, but it still has been a nail biter.

All glory to God for allowing me share this opportunity with my boy while I am still young enough to really enjoy it.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Tell your son Congratulations. Man you must be living right! A red stag hunt raffle hunt, a CO sheep tag, and an Oregon sheep tag all in the same year. If you get that 13B tag in AZ I'm coming to Oregon to get you to fill out my apps next year! God has blessed you this year.

Reactions: Umpqua Hunter

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
congrats,,thats awesome,,absolutely make sure you attend the seminar in hood river for sheep//i went to it a couple years ago when i drew a nevada sheep tag and it was very informative..they got alot of info on best locations ,ect for your areas.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
how does that seed number thing work? i havnt been able to figure it out??was happy today though,,drew muzzy antelope,,2nd choice cow elk and 2nd choice deer though.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
how does that seed number thing work? i havnt been able to figure it out??was happy today though,,drew muzzy antelope,,2nd choice cow elk and 2nd choice deer though.
I learned how to use seed numbers from one of the members on this forum just this year. Here is an explanation.

About 3 weeks ago the 7 digit seed number for every hunt series was randomly drawn. For sheep the seed number was 9523940. There was a different seed number for every hunt series (such as 100 series, 200 series, etc.)

About 2 weeks ago your applications were also assigned a 7 digit number which you could see on your online account. You want your application number to be LARGER than the seed number and as close as possible to the seed number. My son's sheep application number was 9532991, so he was only 9051 above the seed number

Since there are 10 million possible numbers (0000000 to 9999999) you can calculate how your application is compared to others. So for my sons application:

(9051 / 10,000,000) X 100 = 0.09051%

So he was in the top 0.0951% of applicants.

Since the sheep hunt he applied for should have had about 0.8% draw odds, his application was statistically about 9 times better than he needed.

Hope that helps. :)

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Congrats!!! That is great news for you and all of us on the forum. Can't wait to follow along from scouting to hunt. We are all blessed here to have someone like you to let us share in the experience. Good luck!