Duck dog

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My last 2 Labs have been partially indoor dogs. Our home here in Colorado is set up for a dog. I have a bed in the mud room the the dog stays in at night. We use a special vacume cleaner for pets that does a wonderful job picking up hair. I also have an outside enclosure (20x20) with lots of shade and grass for the dog to be outside during the day in summer. Of course she is house trained. I have a 2 acre pond and I excersize her every day ' swimming a lot in the summer.

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
I 100 percent agree lab is probably the best hunter in strength cold and drive, but since this will be an inside dog mostly as well as well as a companion for my young boys 2 and 4 the lab will have to wait until my next dog. Im also looking at boykins. Anyone have any experience or know any breeders of those. I appreciate all the advice. Ive called and emailed about 12 breeders and most spring puppies are spoken for.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I 100 percent agree lab is probably the best hunter in strength cold and drive, but since this will be an inside dog mostly as well as well as a companion for my young boys 2 and 4 the lab will have to wait until my next dog. Im also looking at boykins. Anyone have any experience or know any breeders of those. I appreciate all the advice. Ive called and emailed about 12 breeders and most spring puppies are spoken for.
Not to continually go back to labs, when you're heart is clearly set on something else... But, I could not ask for a better family dog than my lab. My kids are 3.5 and 1.5 years old, our dog has been an absolute saint with them, both indoors and outdoors. she's very sweet and patient with them, when they're 'petting' her, climbing on her, etc. She's never been really good on a leash, always wanting to pull pretty hard on it, but when our little boy started walking her at 2 and a half, she was incredibly patient with him, and walked either right at heel or right in front of him, keeping plenty of slack in the leash.. It was pretty wild.

And man is she protective of the kids. We were walking a while back, and another dog came running out from behind a house, unleashed. Looked hell bent on starting a fight. As I was taking the leash out of my sons hands and picking him up, our dog got in between that dog and my son and squared up, let out a rumble that about shook the earth, and looked ready to absolutely kill the other dog.. Other dog got within about 5 feet, decided it didnt want to die, and ran away.

I'm sure whatever route you go, you'll be happy. Dogs are so wonderful!

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I agree Fink. My lab is an inside dog and he’s awesome with kids. Protective too ... came across a Mt lion while hiking once. It scared my Golden who ran back to me and when my lab saw that he took off full speed after the cat (I’m glad he didn’t catch it).

Best of luck choosing your dog.
Such a fun thing to do ... and I’m sure you’ll be happy with whichever breed you choose.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My Dad owned a duck hunting club in Imperial Valley in California for 50 years. Almost all the dogs were Labs. In all that time I only saw one lab that had a mean streak. If anyone wore a wide brim hat (like a cowboy style) , the dog would try to eat you lunch. The owner got him as a 1 1/2 year old dog. The only thing we could figure is someone mistreated the dog wearing that kind of hat. Generally Labs are really laid back and really "people" dogs.

Reactions: Winchester